55+ Communities

Dottleshead

Does anybody live in one of these communities and would you recommend them?  Wife and I were just discussing our future plans and trying to determine what the best plan of action is as we move through are golden years.  I understand these communities can be cheaper to move into.  

When I did a 3 year contract in Edmonton, the company put me up in a 55+ condo.  I was 51 at the the time.  In that complex, 55 translated to anyone with an severe impairment or over 75.  The games rooms were full on knitters and mens card games and they even had movie nights on the weekend.  So there is a social aspect. 

I hated every minute of being there.  The people were kind and mostly friendly although they looked at me like I should not be there.  I held a lot of doors and carried a lot of groceries but felt I was always being watched and not necessarily trusted. 

There were a number of snowbirds living there so winter was very quiet.  I remember one night, looking down the hallway as there were three people in it.  One had a walker, one had a cane and the third was toting oxygen tanks.   It was depressing.  I terminated that contract the following week. 

My plans for 55+ living, maybe for my last few breaths but not a second before.  This was not a nursing home, just a 55+.

I can see where it would be nice for some but I am not one of those. 

• Heart 1

I believe Alberta is trying to slowly stop the development of 55+ condo buildings that are not nursing homes. 

We'd rather be in a multi-generation neighbourhood...which is like any other neighbourhood now. 

As usual, for the past 35 years (and for me, even longer, since my 20's), always a 15 min. walk within shops, services, park and transit.  This alone is important to us..and we thank ourselves over and over, to choose walkable, liveable communities..by design.

I'd like to be surrounded by people younger than I and some older, as now.  I don't want my world perspective limited to people around my age and up.

According to my city's annual census over past few years, my neighbourhood naturally tends to have less children anyway. The condo building probably has less than 3-4 families with children.  I didn't actively look for a neighbourhood with less children.  It just happened and probably because the units are 1 or 2 bedroom. I know the profile of my neighbourhood does have a decent number of people walking, transit or cycling in general.  

In downtown Vancouver, there are a lot of families with children living in the condo buildings and townhouses. It doesn't bother us. 

Both buildings in both cities, are concrete buildings. Both buildings also allow pets within certain limits.  Dog and cat have to been registered with the condo board. There are parks, playgrounds nearby for kids and pets to release their energy.

The building I work at was 55+ but changed to 62+ our average age is 83..walking distance to banks, grocery store, post office and library..yup lots of walkers, card games and puzzles...the younger/ more active folks do their thing...but it is a cooperative and people buy in so they don't have to worry about up keep or snow shoveling.

I enjoy having a variety of ages around. I have many good friends significantly younger.  Our neighborhood is a mix of ages and more variety of ethnicities. 

WoW has a cousin who lives in a gated 55+ community. They bought there because they both loved golf and it had a course with very low green fees. They live their house and neighbors, but she says they call it the Waiting Room. The frequent passing of neighbors and friends in such a small area really takes a emotional and mental toll. 

Ok....my partner and I don't play card games.  He's happy to play card/board games with his (adult) children and grandchildren (only 1 is old enough for this. Others are too young).  I don't even like card/board games/chess.  I actually hated puzzles all my life.  Dearie is bored by them.  

Dearie's brainpower is motored daily by  book-keeping online via ecommerce platform for his son's biz..located 4,000+ km. away.  He even plans to bring his laptop to do the payroll while we're in Japan! Gawwwd. Yes, today is father's day. :)  He just finished filing to govn't for the biz tax year after wks. of crunching numbers and reconciliation.  Then he goes cycling daily (solo), has provincial board meeting on cycling advocacy every month...

He will turn 75 soon this yr.  He asks me daily for daily guess on store revenues. I have no access nor interest in the financial metric charts..so I guess on instinct....I'm close at least 70% of the time. 

The definition of "retirement" and what people do, would challenge some folks in their 20's and younger.

If we ever went to one of these communities, the plan would be to buy a home in it.  My expectation about it living in it though is exactly who most of you responded to it -- not too favorable.  

A 55 Plus Community is an age-restricted community.  At least one member of the household must be at least 55 years old.  Rules differ amongst communities, but generally rules specify that other adult residents in the same household are over 40 years of age.  A child living at home must be more than 18 years of age.

Residents of the 55 plus communities buy, rent, or lease their units.  Depending on the community development style, these units can be individual homes, condos, or attached apartment style. 

https://www.seniorguidance.org/senior-living/55-plus-communities/

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Why would I want to live around youngsters? Maybe a 64+.

I don't get it or maybe you're joking....that means my 30+ niece and nephew are yahoos?  They're nice people and so are their friends. These people don't have wild parties, talk intelligently and yes, different politics...which honest, their politics are close to mine.   Or even older niece and nephews  reaching 20.  

I could never forget that time, one guy renting a condo on lst floor, was playing his music so loud.  He must have been over 50+ yrs. old. 

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

If we ever went to one of these communities, the plan would be to buy a home in it.  My expectation about it living in it though is exactly who most of you responded to it -- not too favorable.  

https://www.seniorguidance.org/senior-living/55-plus-communities/

We own and live in both homes in the 2 cities in liveable, walkable communities. So our opinion is very much influenced by where we've been living so far where being quite close to services is pretty obvious to us.   

For certain, if I lived in the suburbs my impression of the city where I live now, would be not very favourable.  It would be an isolating experience since after all, our winters are long and very cold, transit in certain suburban neighbourhoods is thin.  I am aware of some 55+ /gated communities in our city...it just goes against my own wishes of living in a diverse, vibrant community. I tend to think gated community is overkill in many situations in most North American cities.  However anyone can argue that a condo building is a form of "gated" community too.

My first awareness of 55+ was when stationed at Luke AFB in AZ. While I lived in Peoria, it was the other side of the dry river bed from Sun City - one of the first 55+ communities developed. A couple things stood out. First, age of the development. While was developed in stages, the most interior showed the effect. Originally 55-65, the amenities were developed to support the "active lifestyle". Thirty years later, they were 85-95 (assuming they were still there and alive) and had a whole different set of needs that the "active lifestyle" didn't support. PAY ATTN TO THE AGE OF BOTH THE FACILITY AND RESIDENTS! The other big one is where an adult child with their younger children move back with parents following marital strife or whatever. While short visits (i.e.Christmas visit) are allowed, extended stays is not and legal battles begin where they either have to leave or the property owners are forced to sell.  It can get to be nasty.

Fast-forward: As a Real Estate Photographer  have taken quite a few shoots (one last week and another next Thursday and will attach a tour link of the Monday shoot at end of this post). It is a very nice community and I even recommended to a personal friend but while they were moving to be closer (but not in same town) to their grandchildren, this was just too distant. It has many amenities, particularly if not a golfer as it is one of the few without a golf course, and what would be golf fairways are lakes winding throughout the community. Another nice amenity that is rarely seen is an RV parking lot included in the HOA fee. The fee is not outrageous for a gated, well developed clubhouse/Olympic size community pool and other amenities, but is always something have to be aware of. Technically I am a Realtor, but I go as a photographer hired by their Realtor - so unless their Realtor told them, I am only a photographer. To be cordial and taking an interest in them will have general questions on "Where are you moving too?" Sometimes it is to another 55+ community, but usually more family related or other special needs like spouse died, etc. Usually this entails moving back North where family are. Sometimes staying in the community but downsizing or building on a different lot (like waterfront).

The way I organize my tours is Front - interior walkthrough - Patio and Rear - Community Ammenities, so you can jump ahead. This is one of the larger floor plans and price reflected it at just over $400,000.

https://tours.imagesforrealestate.com/public/vtour/display/1063288?idx=1#!/

• Heart 1

It sorta freaked me out 2 yrs. ago, around Christmas I got a card from a good friend in Ontario. She's only 1 yr. younger than I @58 yrs.  We've known each other well, for past 35 yrs.  She's now living in a building for "seniors" meaning probably 55+.  Her husband still works in labour job.  I was a little surprised they sold their house so early.   She talks about bus trips, etc. with the residents. I'm not certain she plays cards because she's Mennonite..conservative Mennonite.  (I know they don't want movies unless it's Christian theme nor go to theatre, etc.)

It sounded too elderly for my taste.  She and her hubby go off on their own, vacationing in the U.S. and Canada. They drive a car.  They don't have children. She herself is part of large extended family. I've met all her nieces and nephews...over the years.

48 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

My first awareness of 55+ was when stationed at Luke AFB in AZ. While I lived in Peoria, it was the other side of the dry river bed from Sun City - one of the first 55+ communities developed. A couple things stood out. First, age of the development. While was developed in stages, the most interior showed the effect. Originally 55-65, the amenities were developed to support the "active lifestyle". Thirty years later, they were 85-95 (assuming they were still there and alive) and had a whole different set of needs that the "active lifestyle" didn't support. PAY ATTN TO THE AGE OF BOTH THE FACILITY AND RESIDENTS! The other big one is where an adult child with their younger children move back with parents following marital strife or whatever. While short visits (i.e.Christmas visit) are allowed, extended stays is not and legal battles begin where they either have to leave or the property owners are forced to sell.  It can get to be nasty.

I met someone who photographed homes for sale in Maui.  We met her, out of curiosity when we were in Hawaii and had a pleasant lunch.  She said many of the homes she photoshoot, are barely occupied much during the year...and gorgeous.

I appreciate the social aspect of built-in community at a 55+ place.   But there is the reality as expressed earlier in this thread, of people just diminishing and dying over time, which creates it's own limited bubble of reality. Life isn't just about living for dying in the end. 

The first time in over 15 years, I now have lunch often at work, with a bunch of co-workers of which most except for 1, fall close in my age group.  It's a pleasant group but no, I don't socialize with any of these women after work. At this time, I have no interest.  I can do superficial socializing like this often.  But after awhile I actually find it wears me down..because we're talking/sharing on same topics...because they are safe topics and topics that might bind us together in a superficial way.  We all are college or university-educated, with careers for some that have taken some of us, across Canada and the U.S.   Most are married with children, with only 2 of us child-free but with a partner.  So what we talk about is often not about family ...it is more than the stereotype of "women's topics".

So living in a place with a bunch of other people similar in age bracket or similar, would start to bore/wear me down.  

I know myself...as a friendly hermit.  Just a few great friends who I don't need to see daily or even several times per wk, is fine with me.  Maybe this is a bad thing. It doesn't feel it...especially with knowledge and love of a large family.

16 minutes ago, Dottie said:

My wife and I are not parents. And I can't expect anyone to be there for us. So we have to take that into consideration.

Yup, it certainly is a consideration. That's why living out in isolated suburbs is not for me. I need to go outside and at the very least, walk to destinations that aren't far.  And this is even now on very cold winter days....-35 to -40 degrees C.  It costs me nothing vs. getting into car and driving..  Assisted living complexes best near at end of life.  

Dottie, even some adult children will not visit often.  Dearie's daughter ...doesn't. Only when she wants something from him.  She lives in the suburbs.  She has no children to consume her time. I say this bluntly because I  don't have children and know how much time I have despite working full-time.

So this whole thing about children looking after parents, even visiting them..  never assume that either. 

25 minutes ago, Dottie said:

My wife and I are not parents. And I can't expect anyone to be there for us. So we have to take that into consideration.

Yes. Many thing happen. Of the two home I shot last week, it was a contrast. The one with the link above were moving to another community on the Gulf Coast. We actually spent more time talking about their planned trip to England and Norway. I of course gave them some hints on phones, wifi and alternative when traveling internationally, The big one being the had not heard of Mobile Passport until I started telling them how quick I went through Customs on return. They  downloaded the ap. The other home was in a general community and, while retired early 60's, planned to live in it for the rest of their lived" when initially bought years ago. Wife suddenly had a stroke and currently wheelchair bound while recovering with ongoing PT. They were moving to Ohio to live with her sister whose husband died and she had a 6000sqft home so wouldn't be on top of each other. A lot of things to consider as anything can happen.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I don't need a lot of folks myself. I am with you.... two or three good friends is all I need. Usually it's 1+. I don't spend much time with family because it's dysfunctional. But not bad in small doses.

I'm same...and so is he.....1 to 1 friendships.  He doesn't go cycling with the guys or anything like that.  He cycles with me or solo. He's quite disciplined yet free-spirited in this way. 

My sibling relationships aren't dysfunctional, not perfect in a minor way....  I tap them for expertise, opinions, etc. We do squabble at times but it goes away. I'm always sad for those who have crappy/horrible relationships with sibs. 

@Tizeye those glass bubbles on the patio are strange to me. what is the purpose? if i go out and sit on the patio i want to feel the crisp air. do they just open the door for fresh air? are they a nightmare to keep clean? is it alligator protection? do most of the homes have that bubble? does it heat up the area in the afternoon? or it a venus fly trap in disguise? hottie grandma comes over and grandpa decides if it's catch & release or not

very odd to me

At 55 I could still whip my weight, or at least some of it, in Bobcats. 

At 60 I was holding my own.

Now I'm getting tired of cleaning gutters & cutting grass, but I'm not ready for bingo in the community room.

I think ShootingStar summed it up nicely. Live where you're comfortable,  

• Heart 1

Not certain what you were talking about "glass bubble" so had to look. Are you talking about that entire exterior wall between the patio and the landscaping? That is not glass...it is a screen stretched between the framing with the guidewired providing additional support. Very common here but usually covers a pool and keeps debris out, but in either case, can sit out there without insects attacking you. Very natural ventilation, ceiling fans to improve circulation but no AC. If glass enclosed, would have AC. I usually like to open the sliding glass doors of the house that 1) eliminates my flash reflection on interior shots, and 2) makes the living room seem quite expansive and open. The way I shoot interiors is expose for the outside for the good view, then use at least 2 off camera flashes to bring the light level up to illuminate the room. Have to be very aware of reflections (windows, pictures, TV's etc) and shadows (ceiling fans are a buger). If can't place a flash outside a reflection area (walls, curtains, etc) will take two or more  with lights in different areas, and mask the good part into the other. Now you see why I like the doors open...but it was so hot and despite an hour drive from the first shoot I actually changed to a clean shirt in the Publix mens room before I arrived at their house. Not helping is that my shirts are black...easier to clean out of a reflection than when wear color.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Further said:

At 55 I could still whip my weight, or at least some of it, in Bobcats. 

At 60 I was holding my own.

Now I'm getting tired of cleaning gutters & cutting grass, but I'm not ready for bingo in the community room.

I think ShootingStar summed it up nicely. Live where you're comfortable,  

While I am 66, Tuesday I have an appointment with a Lawn Service guy. Do you know how much that is killing me! Told him only want a quote for mow and blow...I will still do the edging and landscaping. Can't give it all up. We need the lawn mowed short term with total of 4 weeks travel June and July, but wife insisting as having knee problem. In fact, those photoshoots were the first time in my life that I have worn a knee brace, and was in pain with a limp that the homeowners expressed concern about. Much better now after visiting the doctor last Thursday, drained and cortisone.

Edited by Tizeye
  • Heart 1

My condo complex isn't a 55 plus community (although I think it may have been decades ago).  However, there are a lot of retired people here and a lot of the former 55 plus community attitude still lingers.  Our complex is spread over almost 1,000 acres  and are townhouses each with their own garden/patio, so you're not all on top of one another in one building.  Overall I really like the complex, even though I was one of the "youngsters" when I moved here decades ago.  A couple of thoughts:

1.  it's nice not to have to deal with lawn care, snow removal and a variety of other maintenance chores

2. the townhouses are mostly designed without steps which can make aging in place easier, 

3.  I don't use most of the services, but I like the idea of the shuttle bus to the train station and grocery shopping.  I imagine that would be a very useful thing for people who can no longer drive.

4.  You're free to do as little or as much as you like for activities. I've chosen "nothing" but there are a variety of groups that I could imagine enjoying once I was retired (and if I didn't have many family/friends in the area) - Travel clubs, dining clubs, language groups, yoga, day hikes, woodworking, tennis, pool aerobics, book groups, computer classes, plays,  etc.   For someone who lived alone without a lot of support, the activities give you a chance to meet people and do things you might not do on your own.  But if you want to ignore all of them that's fine too.

5. They've considered voting to turn back into a 55 plus community, but people think it would hurt property values.  However if you buy into an existing facility, that shouldn't matter.

6. Having a large group of seniors can be helpful sometimes.  Whenever there is a storm or power outage, they set up an emergency facility in our activities center and we're always a high priority for power restoration.

7.  One of the nice things about living here when I was a lot younger than the average resident was seeing how cool and active most of my neighbors were.  It gave me much more positive attitude about what was coming.

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While I am 66, Tuesday I have an appointment with a Lawn Service guy. Do you know how much that is killing me! Told him only want a quote for mow and blow...I will still do the edging and landscaping. Can't give it all up.

Nothing wrong with him doing the grass stuff..  It's great to be outdoors for you plus other stuff outdoors.

My partner now has to be careful how he bends down since 1 of his knees requires a soft brace to hold it in place.  He doesn't complain about this particular position to me yet.  Probably because he's more careful how he moves in certain positions when crouching down, etc. to unplug or repair/look at something ...

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

7.  One of the nice things about living here when I was a lot younger than the average resident was seeing how cool and active most of my neighbors were.  It gave me much more positive attitude about what was coming.

There's probably enough young people who don't know anyone retired 'cause grandparents live far away or they just deliberately choose to ignore anyone older than their parents (were any of us like that once upon a time?) Or just see visibly frail old people because they are so obvious.  It's the active retirees that we may not even recognize because they're active or their health is pretty good that they end up looking younger than others, simply because they are still independent, healthy, sharp and mobile. 

45 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

While I am 66, Tuesday I have an appointment with a Lawn Service guy. Do you know how much that is killing me! Told him only want a quote for mow and blow...I will still do the edging and landscaping. Can't give it all up. We need the lawn mowed short term with total of 4 weeks travel June and July, but wife insisting as having knee problem. In fact, those photoshoots were the first time in my life that I have worn a knee brace, and was in pain with a limp that the homeowners expressed concern about. Much better now after visiting the doctor last Thursday, drained and cortisone.

Hope everything heals up.

When you're young, you know you'll heal, as you age some uncertainty creeps in.

And know what you mean about the lawn. I'm tired of mowing it, but I'll be damned if I'll pay to have mowed.

Now if my kid were to show up & mow.....there would be beer & gracious thanks  

I remember having to convince my Dad to hire a lawn service.  He really resisted, especially because he enjoyed gardening.  But the first autumn when he wasn't busy raking and bagging tons of leaves, he was very happy.  He also realized that by delegating part of the chores, he had more time to do the fun gardening that he really enjoyed

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I don't get it or maybe you're joking....that means my 30+ niece and nephew are yahoos?  They're nice people and so are their friends. These people don't have wild parties, talk intelligently and yes, different politics...which honest, their politics are close to mine.   Or even older niece and nephews  reaching 20.  

I could never forget that time, one guy renting a condo on lst floor, was playing his music so loud.  He must have been over 50+ yrs. old. 

Joking. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1