What's A New Deck Cost?

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Including permits?

p.s. if you need some post footings dug I know a guy.  Slow as can be and pretty erratic but cheap.

Of course.  Or, at least the claim that the permits were gotten.  Do they actually even give you a real "permit" any more?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Of course.  Or, at least the claim that the permits were gotten.  Do they actually even give you a real "permit" any more?

Yes and it MUST be prominently displayed for the Permit Lady to see and reference at her will.

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Say, 800 sq ft and made of Trex or whatever that fake stuff is.  To build and install including support, some railings, and normal stuff like that?

If it gets a lot of sun and you like to walk with barefeet, I wouldn't go with the fake stuff, that stuff heats up and gets hotter than hell.  Redid my deck at my old house with it a couple years ago, just built a deck at my new house and went with wood again.  You can replace the deck boards several times for the price of the fake stuff too.  I just did 22 x 12, less than $1k.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

If it gets a lot of sun and you like to walk with barefeet, I wouldn't go with the fake stuff, that stuff heats up and gets hotter than hell.  Redid my deck at my old house with it a couple years ago, just built a deck at my new house and went with wood again.  You can replace the deck boards several times for the price of the fake stuff too.  I just did 22 x 12, less than $1k.

This.  That resin crap gets red hot!  

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

This.  That resin crap gets red hot!  

I couldn't believe how hot that stuff got, and then I really questioned why it was so popular.  We regretted it, though the people that bought our house loved it, after last summer, I wonder if they still do.

The railing got painted white before we sold it.

18422922_10210651918311413_3540801260574805285_o.thumb.jpg.e25957c0f57e0ffe63bd5a0f8784ffc4.jpg17835091_10210341350987424_9076571574017615505_o.thumb.jpg.53ae0891c36a02aac532f6ea2e228b15.jpg

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What's A New Deck Cost? Say, 800 sq ft and made of Trex or whatever that fake stuff is.  To build and install including support, some railings, and normal stuff like that?

...is this a request for a materials cost, or a request for a bid that includes labor, permit fees, and incidentals ?  I'm not a big deck fan, having repaired or replaced a few of them.  I'm more of a concrete patio guy.  You need to design the supports a little differently for Trex or one of the other last forever competitors.  And what a lot of people don't consider is that if you build the support system out of wood posts and sub supports, that stuff will eventually need some repair/replacement.  So mostly decks don't last forever unless you use metal as your framing and the composite stuff for the decking.  But then you have to take out second to pay for it. :( 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

I couldn't believe how hot that stuff got, and then I really questioned why it was so popular. 

...it's used a lot up at Tahoe.  Probably getting hot is less of an issue there, and the winters really degrade wood decks in a hurry unless you refinish them regularly.  Which nobody ever does.

My brother in law's dock has a composite decking over a metal substructure.  It will probably last a very long time. I also cost something like $500,000 to put it in. He has money.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...is this a request for a materials cost, or a request for a bid that includes labor, permit fees, and incidentals ?  I'm not a big deck fan, having repaired or replaced a few of them.  I'm more of a concrete patio guy.  You need to design the supports a little differently for Trex or one of the other last forever competitors.  And what a lot of people don't consider is that if you build the support system out of wood posts and sub supports, that stuff will eventually need some repair/replacement.  So mostly decks don't last forever unless you use metal as your framing and the composite stuff for the decking.  But then you have to take out second to pay for it. :( 

If you build it with wood, there are things you can do to help extend the life like putting a flashing on the top of all your support beams, especially if you have two seamed, but that still doesn't guarantee them lasting, but will help extend it.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

It's a "what's a fair price to have a soup to nuts deck installed.  I realize I have no idea what a reasonable price is, and some folks here might.

...the labor costs on something like that are wildly variable depending on your location, and the illegal immigrant population where you live.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's a "what's a fair price to have a soup to nuts deck installed.  I realize I have no idea what a reasonable price is, and some folks here might. 

Multiply material cost by 10 last time I got quotes to have one done, and why I ended up building one with a composite top, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than any quote I got with all wood and that included me having to do tear out of my old one.

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

They wanted the same for a cedar deck ($2500). For $500 more, I stepped into Trex Enhanced Basic.

...read the manufacturer's specs for how far apart and how robust your supports need to be, and make sure that yours meet the requirements for composite decking.  If not, get someone to add some more support structure before you let someone screw a bunch of composite decking in place, because it's harder to do with the decking in place if it starts to sag a little.

It would be nice if you could trust your contractor for this little bit of structural analysis, but you can't always.

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...read the manufacturer's specs for how far apart and how robust your supports need to be, and make sure that yours meet the requirements for composite decking.  If not, get someone to add some more support structure before you let someone screw a bunch of composite decking in place, because it's harder to do with the decking in place if it starts to sag a little.

It would be nice if you could trust your contractor for this little bit of structural analysis, but you can't always.

Yeah they told us 16" between joists and 12" for steps or heavily trafficked areas.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Also, I already bought the materials. Came to $1500 pretax. The rest goes to the contractor.

I put composite down in 2012.  My deck is 12 x 22.  I wash it down in the spring and  it still looks brand new.  No fading, no re-staining.  It does get warm on the feet, but so did my cedar decking at mg old place.  I can see where it may be an issue in the Sunny States, but not a problem here.  As long as I live here, I wont use anything but

19 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I put composite down in 2012.  My deck is 12 x 22.  I wash it down in the spring and  it still looks brand new.  No fading, no re-staining.  It does get warm on the feet, but so did my cedar decking at mg old place.  I can see where it may be an issue in the Sunny States, but not a problem here.  As long as I live here, I wont use anything but

That's about the dimensions we have.  My contractor is going to come out and install it this weekend.  There's a new Trex Basic Enhanced product line that is more affordable for those looking to upgrade decks.  Not only that, the pricing on cedar has gone through the roof so we're actually going to get it for about the same price.  I agree with you.  In this part of the world, it only makes sense.

• Heart 1

Again, I paid $1600 for all my decking materials and I'm paying another $1500 for the guy resurfacing the deck. We are attempting to reuse our current railings but should that fall through then the price of my deck doubles because the true cost in those things are the railings.  Typically they cost more than the surface.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, Indy said:

Huh, I never thought of that. Makes sense, though. (about the fake stuff getting hotter than hell)  And it is expensive indeed! We have had our wood deck (pressure treated wood) for over 30 years, and it still looks good. HoSmudge occasionally power washes it and then sprays it down with Thompson water seal. 

• Heart 1

I am going with porch and patio combo. instead of deck. This way I get to the stone yard and pick things out. Stone guys came last night. Father and son from Bosnia. I think dad has the skill and son is a decent interpreter. They are going to do two stone retaining walls. Outside will be stones from our property and inside something to provide structural interfaith.  Patio will be flat purchased something. Not sure what.  I may take @Shu Fang with me for decorator advice.