Anyone got a gallon of mayo?

petitepedal

On 11/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, petitepedal said:

I may need that much to lube my turkey sammich later today !?

My sister made a ton of mac & cheese with fresh grated cheddar and cream plus a roux.  I'm breaking up the pieces of turkey I brought home into the mac and cheese, dousing it with a little half-and-half before nuking and it's nice and moist.  I'm finishing my leftovers today, which include kielbasa and sauerkraut, while watching the Ravens demolish the 49ers - adding an 8 oz. can of Bush's Baked Beans to make what's left a full meal.  Desert will be sugar-free Snack Pack chocolate pudding.

• 4 years later...
On 11/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, petitepedal said:

I may need that much to lube my turkey sammich later today !?

I hope it's not that dry!

I'm making hamburgers tonight.  I may do mayo, lettuce and onion or ketchup, mustard and onion.

This is a variation of the hamburger made on America's Test Kitchen and uses a "panade" of milk-soaked bread to hold the moisture in while frying/grilling.

This makes 5 quarter-pound sized burgers or 4 very large burgers.

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef (lean works fine for me)

1 slice of bread, diced into 1/4” square pieces (or equivalent breadcrumbs or crackers)

2 tablespoons of milk (use any %, but real milk)

1 egg

2 tsp dry Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp dry oregano, 1 tsp dry thyme)

2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 tbsp finely minced garlic)

2 tsp onion flakes (or 2 tsp onion powder)

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or 1 tbsp ketchup or steak sauce)

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp salt

Optional: one recipe uses 2/3 tsp of hoisin sauce

Optional: 1 tsp Cajun seasoning

Optional: pinch of cayenne pepper

Procedure

1. Dice the bread into ¼” squares and place in a mixing bowl large enough to handle all the ingredients.  Sprinkle the milk on them to moisten, and mix by hand to coat all the bread with milk.

2. Break up the ground beef into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients, making a depression in the mixture for the egg and scrambling it a little bit by hand before mixing it all together.  Mix gently by hand until all materials are roughly evenly distributed, about a minute or two.

3. Form the mixture into four or five round or square patties.  The center of each patty should be slightly thinner than the outsides since it will fatten on cooking.  Place them in a lightly oiled frying pan and press down on the middle to form the desired depression.

4. Heat on a low or medium-low flame until each side is browned, about 4 minutes each side.  Add cheese the last minute if a cheeseburger is desired.

48 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Two minute mayo: one egg; Tablespoon lemon juice, teaspoon Dijon mustard, one clove garlic minced, one cup vegetable oil. Place ingredients into a wide mouth quart jar and use an immersion blender to emulsify. Ho made is better.

That is a lot like my 80 year old Aunt Gertrude's recipe,  the problem is it won't make anywhere near a gallon of mayo.

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

That is a lot like my 80 year old Aunt Gertrude's recipe,  the problem is it won't make anywhere near a gallon of mayo.

I get close to a gallon, but my chickens lay larger than normal eggs.

Everything is bigger in Texas ! | Chicken humor, Big animals, Chickens  backyard

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Ummm... that is a rooster. Arr you sure those are eggs?

I cannot leave him alone with the chickens, so he goes on walks with me.   I am known around here as the crazy guy with that giant cock.

• Haha 2

On 11/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, petitepedal said:

a gallon of mayo

I won't use that much mayo in a year (or 2).  

So... was the turkey sammich OK?    It's only been 4 years and a few months.  ;)