COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

The latest numbers

More than 4,500 people have tested positive for the new COVID-19 disease in the U.S. and at least 88 have died.

Deaths per state:
Washington: 48
New York: 9
California: 9
Florida: 5
New Jersey: 3
Louisiana: 3
Virginia: 2
Nevada: 1
Kansas: 1
South Dakota: 1
Georgia: 1
Colorado: 1
Oregon: 1
Kentucky: 1
South Carolina: 1
Indiana: 1

Globally, more than 7,100 people have died, and more than 181,000 people have caught the virus worldwide.

That's a 7100/181000 = 4% death rate.  Gads.

That's the math for the "confirmed" cases.  If one were to assume that there were that many more folks running around that haven't been tested but who have it the rate drops to 2%.  If one double that number of unconfirmed cases the rate drops to 1%.

By the way that would still be an order of magnitude worse than the 0.1% for flu as quoted by the CDC to go along with a much higher transmission rate.

I wonder if I will know the person who kills me.

Just now, Dottles said:

How well do you know heart disease?

Not well at all.  Surprisingly I keep passing stress tests with flying colors.  My only problems are with a family history of high blood pressure and the need for me to keep it under control (116 over 69 this morning) along with my eyes which are also not getting worse too quickly at the moment.

At almost 74 however I figure my risk is pretty high.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Not well at all.  Surprisingly I keep passing stress tests with flying colors.  My only problems are with a family history of high blood pressure and the need for me to keep it under control (116 over 69 this morning) along with my eyes which are also not getting worse too quickly at the moment.

At almost 74 however I figure my risk is pretty high.

It's a concern of mine too for different reasons... mainly my cardiovascular disease, shortness of breath sometimes w/o a virus, and my wife who works in a health clinic in the new epicenter of covid-19.  Hang in there Max, we'll make it through.  This place wouldn't be the same without you.

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Dottles said:

And?

Governor asked all bars to close and restaurants are take out only for a while.  We he altered our services at my work, and I am required to report over the coming weeks.  I am practicing a lot of precautions.  I use rubber gloves on the copier.  I wipe the copier down regularly.  After I touch any papers from others, I go wash my hands,  I wipe my keyboard regularly, and my phone, even though I am likely the only one touching my things.  I am going to have a serious talk with my nasty coworker that keeps invading my personal space.  She went behind my desk yesterday and wrote on my blotter and used my pen.  Whether or not she things this is hysteria and a media panic, she needs to follow governor orders. 

SHIT!

Oh, and my Mother is almost 80.  I talked to her last night.  She has tons of food.  I know how she shops.  It's a bit insane for a women who lives alone.  Anyway. I asked her how she is doing and if she has food.  She said she has plenty for weeks.  Although, she keeps going to the store for stupid little things that she can do without right now. She said she needs milk.  I said "Could you do without milk for a little while?"  She got upset at me.  I asked if she could have someone from the church deliver her milk?  She got more angry and said "I need to check expiration dates.  I don't want the first milk on the shelf." :wacko: 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's gonna be the Millenial who took advantage of the low airfares to spend a weekend in Miami!!! These travel deals are a once in a lifetime DEAL!!!

You should hang out at the beach with gobs and gobs of people. Apparently these goons think hot sunny weather solves all their problems.

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, you're screwed.

4 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Dude.  Not cool.

I'm in the epicenter and I'm making it. I'm simply saying it's moving into his county. Al lives in a remote area. If he can't make it unscathed, we all are in trouble. But it's moving into his county. It's already there.

1 hour ago, Couch_Incident said:

There is no way to prove it yet but my hunch is, the CCP has been fudging numbers all along.

I would look more at the numbers out of South Korea.  The numbers in Italy woke me up several weeks ago.

I don't trust the Chinese either. It's too bad we can't use their government officials as toilet paper. That's be a win-win.

All bars and restaurants to close as of 5pm today. 

The police in this little city said that they will not shutdown a bar with less than 10 people in side. They will not shutdown with more than 10 people inside but they will report it to the health department. I wonder if that will affect the bar when they have to renew the liquor license. 

Screenshot_2020-03-17-15-47-24-1.png.9cdce6bda51daa1af2face566dd8ce5c.png

9 minutes ago, BR46 said:

All bars and restaurants to close as of 5pm today. 

The police in this little city said that they will not shutdown a bar with less than 10 people in side. They will not shutdown with more than 10 people inside but they will report it to the health department. I wonder if that will affect the bar when they have to renew the liquor license. 

Screenshot_2020-03-17-15-47-24-1.png.9cdce6bda51daa1af2face566dd8ce5c.png

would be cool if there was some sort of facebook page where the bar owners could post how many where there so you know where to go.  

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm in the epicenter and I'm making it. I'm simply saying it's moving into his county. Al lives in a remote area. If he can't make it unscathed, we all are in trouble. But it's moving into his county. It's already there.

Called it. First case in Walton County was just reported. 
http://news.monroelocal.org/breaking-hitachi-announces-a-case-of-covid-19-at-plant-in-walton-county/?fbclid=IwAR1MI-nw_ACp17h8nEtnkpjo_mCkgHCMW4fG4rFF3YjMa0MWIP4TqZEoPT8

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

would be cool if there was some sort of facebook page where the bar owners could post how many where there so you know where to go.  

The order came out the all bars to close until further notice. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There is a website tracking this and I am confused on the China number. It’s just stable at 80k or so. Lies? I do not trust the data.

It's real.  They are now at a point where the 20 or so cases that popped up from returning people are the big deal.  Guandong province hasn't had a new case in days.  It's time to face the fact that China's citizens are more socialized to care for the masses than the individual and that they cooperated with the lockdowns.  Osomaxx is desperate to get back to his school there but obtaining a flight is nigh on impossible.  Many of the intermediate stops would each require a 14 day quarantine such as flying in through Japan.  He's not sure if he trusts Canada to stay open long enough to book a ticket for next week or not.  All the Chinese students that were trapped here are being collected at the head office in NJ.

I admit that my access to Chinese news is only through my oldest sons friends who are still in China but I really don't think they are lying or hiding anything.  Much of China will be up and running in April.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So are they gonna close or not?  I though the police / sheriff would not report under 10?

That figures.  Special people are going to defy the order because they don't think they are infected.  This is how the virus spreads so easily by community contact.  People who don't think they have it decide to travel around and infect others.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That figures.  Special people are going to defy the order because they don't think they are infected.  This is how the virus spreads so easily by community contact.  People who don't think they have it decide to travel around and infect others.

Especially kids.  They are hardly touched by it. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

So are they gonna close or not?  I though the police / sheriff would not report under 10?

Every bar and restaurant shut down at 5pm today. The only ones that are open have a drive through or delivery. The dine in are scrambling to setup a curbside service.