It is entirely possible to overthink anything

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

The good news is that you have spent far more effort redeeming an essentially worthless gift card then you would have if you just dropped by a Kohls and bought some shit you wanted.

You can't really use  JCP card at Kohl's, though, plus retail is closed here.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You can't really use  JCP card at Kohl's, though, plus retail is closed here.

My point exactly.  Just go to Kohls and forget about the JCP "gift' card. 

Or a bike shop.  Or an ice cream shop. Or Trader Joes.  There is a reason JCP is circling the drain, and apparently you've stumbled upon at least one reason - nothing for sale that you want!

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My point exactly.  Just go to Kohls and forget about the JCP "gift' card. 

Or a bike shop.  Or an ice cream shop. Or Trader Joes.  There is a reason JCP is circling the drain, and apparently you've stumbled upon at least one reason - nothing for sale that you want!

You are overthinking this. 

• Haha 1

Yes, it is possible to overthink anything.

One day in the chemistry research labs at UMBC, three professors with research grants, a grad student, and two of us upperclassmen were assembling a new "automatic titrating machine."  No problems until we got to the instruction, "Ensure that the 110VAC, 60 cycle power supply is operational."

We kept wondering if we missed a step, didn't see a switch, etc.

Finally, a freshman I was going to have lunch with, Paula, walked in, looked at the instruction and asked. "Doesn't that just mean, 'Plug it in'?"

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You are overthinking this. 

At this point. I've invested MORE TIME in this damn JCP gift "card" fiasco than is fair :(  If I knew your address, I'd be sending an invoice!  And likely leaving a burning bag of poop on your door step (not when RO was visiting, though).

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

At this point. I've invested MORE TIME in this damn JCP gift "card" fiasco than is fair :(  If I knew your address, I'd be sending an invoice!  And likely leaving a burning bag of poop on your door step (not when RO was visiting, though).

I used it.

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You haven't gotten the "this item backordered" notice yet, have you?  Just wait...

I got a "out of stock" message about 8 - 10 times, but only by looking in the cart.  Then why the hell did you let me put it in the cart, you dummies? 

I can see why Penney's is having a tough time of it.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I got a "out of stock" message about 8 - 10 times, but only by looking in the cart.  Then why the hell did you let me put it in the cart, you dummies? 

I can see why Penney's is having a tough time of it.

Keep an eye out for the apology and new expected delivery date.  Likely sometime past the date JCP vanishes from memory.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

From what I hear, they're going to enclose a $5 JCP gift card and a code for free shipping (for orders over $50), so any inconvenience(s) you encounter will be handled in your favor.

It was already included in my over $50 order and discount on said order.  I can't see a way they survive past another year or two.

Our local JCP is on the chopping block. I will probably see if they have anything over the weekend and be done with it. They held promise a few years back when they tried to re-invent themselves. I actually bought a little more there, but they alienated their old (aging) audience without drawing in new people, so they went back to their old ways. I think I've bought 1 or 2 items in that time. Hate to lose another business, but not if they don't change with the times. 

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

Our local JCP is on the chopping block. I will probably see if they have anything over the weekend and be done with it. They held promise a few years back when they tried to re-invent themselves. I actually bought a little more there, but they alienated their old (aging) audience without drawing in new people, so they went back to their old ways. I think I've bought 1 or 2 items in that time. Hate to lose another business, but not if they don't change with the times. 

I thought they would survive a battle with Sears, but I think they are both unfit.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I thought they would survive a battle with Sears, but I think they are both unfit.

I haven't delved into what killed/is killing JCP, but Sears really got screwed by ownership shenanigans.  There were a lot of debt & financial maneuvers that screwed Sears.  JCP likely is just screwed by market forces being aligned against vast holdings of property and leases in locations there is less and less foot traffic. 

53 minutes ago, roadsue said:

But, what did you order? 

Finally, a sensible question!

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/kitty-bath-towel/ppr5007351555?pTmplType=regular

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/taste-of-home-14-non-stick-metal-pizza-pan/ppr5007928874?pTmplType=regular

Plus some vaperware underwear.

I am hoping RO will like the towel, and the pizza pan and underwear are a crapshoot.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Finally, a sensible question!

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/kitty-bath-towel/ppr5007351555?pTmplType=regular

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/taste-of-home-14-non-stick-metal-pizza-pan/ppr5007928874?pTmplType=regular

Plus some vaperware underwear.

I am hoping RO will like the towel, and the pizza pan and underwear are a crapshoot.

No.  It doesn't matter what you ordered.  You aren't getting it.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I haven't delved into what killed/is killing JCP, but Sears really got screwed by ownership shenanigans.  There were a lot of debt & financial maneuvers that screwed Sears.  JCP likely is just screwed by market forces being aligned against vast holdings of property and leases in locations there is less and less foot traffic. 

The board at Sears should be in prison for what they are pulling. JCP was too slow to change with the changing market. Their demographic was aging and they weren't getting new customers. They hired a new CEO. He decided to freshen up the adverstising. He lowered the everyday prices to the former sale prices. He brought in some new buyers to find items to appeal to the Target demographic. WoW and I liked the changes, but apparently the old shoppers complained nothing was on "SALE" even though the prices were the previous sale prices. Sales were flat so rather than give it some time, they fired the CEO and went back to their old ways. 

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

What happened to the oblong measuring spoons?

They were out.  I did go to Amazon and find some measuring spoons that I clearly overthought.  They are in my cart now, waiting for me to achieve critical mass with enough items to order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TCDR288/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1FWYU53RO9777&psc=1

Dr. Mickin would be proud of my analysis, Here are the highlights: 

• They are two sided, so I won't need two sets or a wash if I need two ingredients with the same measure
  • They will sit upright when set down, unlike rounded spoons
  • One end will fit in spice bottles (not that I have ever done that)
  • Magnetic, so they will stay together without needing to be on a ring and be constantly coupled and uncoupled

Yes, I burned 20 minutes at least looking at measuring spoons, because Penney's was out.

• Haha 1