how much phone data do you use a month?

bikeman564™

I have the lowest plan with 2 GB, and typically stay w/in that. Verizon offers rewards each month, and one choice is 1 GB. Sometimes I use that, but I've never gone over 3 GB usage per month. Just wondering what you all use. I only use internets on my phone for here and looking things up sometimes. That's it. I need the old peoples, wtf is this internet thing, plan :D 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have the lowest plan with 2 GB, and typically stay w/in that. Verizon offers rewards each month, and one choice is 1 GB. Sometimes I use that, but I've never gone over 3 GB usage per month. Just wondering what you all use. I only use internets on my phone for here and looking things up sometimes. That's it. I need the old peoples, wtf is this internet thing, plan :D 

Since WFH and always on my wifi, it is a TINY amount.  I could cut it a bunch, but that may jinx my WFH status :D

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Since WFH and always on my wifi, it is a TINY amount.  I could cut it a bunch, but that may jinx my WFH status :D

At work I don't use our wifi, so it's plan data.  At home it picks up a Comcast hot spot.  But I don't use it much because I use my puter.

Nowhere near as low as @bikeman564™. My company provides my phone and plan and for the fist few yeas I thought it was 2gb, you can go over but that's frowned upon. Fast forward 3 years of this and I come to find out that it's 20gb! Even with primarily WFH, I am out and about a bunch using data and average about 15-18 gb per month.

WoGolden has the Verizon unlimited plan for her phone and uses it for all it's worth. Her commute when she goes into the office is one hour and she uses that time to facetime her family overseas and streams YouTube videos of podcasts; the Turkish people have a weird fascination with turning everything into a YouTube video. I think last month she used about 60gb.

• Heart 3

I think I'm on a 5gb a month plan, but I use very little.  If I had unlimited I might use it for gps when I drive, but I don't, so I don't.  I don't stream video to my phone except for a few youtube clips, and even then I'm usually home.

• Heart 2

We should also look at data consumption via the home internet as a comparison too.

Quick look at my router tracking logs shows I have 38gb upstream (the webservers doing) and downstream a whopping 398gb, so far. Considering my entire network and server clusters are essentially media streamers, data scrapers, and more I am not entirely surprised.

• Heart 1

I hardly use any, 10 - 20 MB in a typical month. 121 MB last month because I kept checking my fantasy football teams on Thanksgiving.

In the house I use my laptop for most online things and WiFi for my phone. I use the Walmart, supermarket, etc. WiFi when I'm in most stores.

Outside the house I like not being highly connected to the world unless I need to check the weather or the price at Amazon, get a text message or phone call, or need to call and ask something like, "They're out of Tropicana, what other brand do you want me to get?"

I have a Tracfone plan for $199/yr with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and I don't know how much DATA but I have 23.83 GB left (some rolled-over from previous years) through May 2023.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

We should also look at data consumption via the home internet as a comparison too.

Quick look at my router tracking logs shows I have 38gb upstream (the webservers doing) and downstream a whopping 398gb, so far. Considering my entire network and server clusters are essentially media streamers, data scrapers, and more I am not entirely surprised.

A very good point as some of us use the phone as a computer and others do not when accessing the internet.  I use very little phone data but I'm on the internet much of the day.  That consists of recreation, here or on the book of faces, on the laptop and more of that on the 2nd monitor of the lab computer while at the same time I'm using the lab computer for research into numerous things I'm interested in.  

WoBG and I use the Verizon 2GB plan.   This month we used a total of 0.13GB of data.  The prior month a 0.85GB, and that would be a LOT for us.   We both us our wi-fi at home.  And we use wi-fi calling the cell reception is not great here. 

6 hours ago, goldendesign said:

This month so far 17GB used.  81GB was the must used.  And I'm nowhere near the 1000GB limit.

image.png.024321a630f9f40382c6fed475d4f606.png