Jump to content

Tomorrow will be a bad day.


maddmaxx
 Share

Recommended Posts



11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That sounds rough, hope it goes well.

It's not as bad as the laser spot welds to put the retina back together. Those come in batches of multiple hundreds and they all hurt, some badly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's not as bad as the laser spot welds to put the retina back together. Those come in batches of multiple hundreds and they all hurt, some badly.

Getting old is hell...   

Prayers for a quick recovery.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lord, have mercy.


I have my (hopefully) last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. Final check on my shoulder progress, which is coming along fine. Not fully restored range of motion, but about 70% there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Lord, have mercy.


I have my (hopefully) last appointment with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. Final check on my shoulder progress, which is coming along fine. Not fully restored range of motion, but about 70% there. 

I'm saving the orthopedics guy till next month.  I'm seeing a hand specialist then.  See post above about getting old.  :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

They put me out for my eye surgery. Did they give you that option?

They could, but it's faster, cheaper and much easier for the doc to get the right angles if I am awake and can cooperate by pointing my eye in whatever direction he asks for.

I was even awake for my cataract surgery.  They only put me out long enough to do the anesthetic needles in and around they eye and then they woke me up.  I was able to talk to the doc and listen to them work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They could, but it's faster, cheaper and much easier for the doc to get the right angles if I am awake and can cooperate by pointing my eye in whatever direction he asks for.

I was even awake for my cataract surgery.  They only put me out long enough to do the anesthetic needles in and around they eye and then they woke me up.  I was able to talk to the doc and listen to them work.

That’s how they did my brother’s cataract surgery. My surgeon never ask if I wanted to be awake or asleep he just knocked me out and I’m glad he did. I’m sure there was discussion going on when he couldn’t stop the bleeding that I wouldn’t have wanted to hear.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was even awake for my cataract surgery.  They only put me out long enough to do the anesthetic needles in and around they eye and then they woke me up.  I was able to talk to the doc and listen to them work.

Same, except no needles.  They just used a series of drops and gels.  I enjoyed being awake for the light show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Same, except no needles.  They just used a series of drops and gels.  I enjoyed being awake for the light show. 

Oh yes, watching the blurry shadows of the tools moving around in that eye while listening to the whine of the emulsifier and the vacuum pulling old lens parts out of the eye was interesting.  I didn't mention it so as not to gross anyone out.  :D

  • Hugs 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Oh yes, watching the blurry shadows of the tools moving around in that eye while listening to the whine of the emulsifier and the vacuum pulling old lens parts out of the eye was interesting.  I didn't mention it so as not to gross anyone out.  :D

I had a very sharp defined light show.  No fuzziness at all.  It was like looking into vivid black but I could make out a cube that had a primary coloured light on each corner. Really tiny but really clear.  I asked the surgeon if that was the laser but he seems to think it was from the headset lights and microscope he wears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I had a very sharp defined light show.  No fuzziness at all.  It was like looking into vivid black but I could make out a cube that had a primary coloured light on each corner. Really tiny but really clear.  I asked the surgeon if that was the laser but he seems to think it was from the headset lights and microscope he wears. 

Ah.  I was an intermediate procedure, after the stitches and weeks of recovery but before the lasers.  It was the era of the sideways tangential incision that was self closing.  The doc had an intern sitting in.  I was impressed by the care with which they read off each part including double double checks of the lens for the proper eye and serial number.  The eye muscles were so neutralized that the eye didn't move for about 24 hours.  I was walleyed.  Vision began to return before they eye could move and the first time I took off the eye guard to put eye drops in I fell over as my brain decided that was the dominant eye and that I was sideways in the air.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, maddmaxx said:

I have an appointment for some more eye surgery at 8:45.  It will consist of somewhere between 80 and 100 laser shots into the right eye, drilling very tiny holes on the outer edge of the pupil.  These are microscopic drain holes to vent some of the pressure in the eye causes by glaucoma.  I've had this done in both eyes before and if successful it lasts for a few years before the pressures begin to rise again.  I know I won't want to use the eye a lot after the appointment but I don't remember how long the irritation lasts.  In addition to the holes, the eye is also irritated by having the collimator lens glued to the eye with some gel.

I had that done to both eyes about 5 years ago.  A year ago they used a more invasive surgery in the left eye.  still using eye drops in the right eye.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...