Another river view

d.thumb.jpg.6397388082fb81fe9128a203a31cfeb7.jpg

The path burrows under a four lane state highway

e.thumb.jpg.34bf9626d76764c7fa5cb178a61412c6.jpg

Cohoes Falls

f.thumb.jpg.f23ff07f60ad42373b67047040ae641a.jpg

Bike path paralleling the old Champlain Canal

g.thumb.jpg.f053ec3d1746ba56da6407d16ace4b90.jpg

A modern Erie (Barge) canal lock with the historic Champlain Canal Sidecut locks on right. 

h.thumb.jpg.baebb467cdf7be1ba780f6c220149419.jpg

Pictures never seem to do justice to the hills we climb.  I think, for once, this picture might approach representing the 8% grade.

i.thumb.jpg.e33ecbd16a182bfdb8927fadd25d7900.jpg

Crossing back over the Mohawk to get back to the start

k.thumb.jpg.2f71e3f412ccce51463e597eb105fdce.jpg

Map of the route

l.thumb.JPG.172b602ccfab6d0934fbeb03b301d051.JPG

About 5 miles into the ride the clamp that holds the seat on the seat post came loose, allowing the seat to spin around in a circle even though the post itself was clamped tightly to the frame and the seat was still clamped tightly to the top of the seat post.  Fortunately, the seat post didn't break and the clamp holding the seat didn't come off entirely, so I finished the ride.  For the moment I think I can borrow a seat post from one of my other bikes until I can either fix the seat post or get a new one.  Maybe I'll get a carbon fiber seat post to match the carbon fiber kick stand...

Is a lot of that path new within the last ten years or so? I remember riding the roads through much of that section. Almost rode right past Cohoes falls. A Canadian I was riding with that day said he thought we missed a falls so we went back and found it

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Is a lot of that path new within the last ten years or so? I remember riding the roads through much of that section.

The section of the route on the south side of the river existed then.  Ten years ago the path continued a few miles west then dumped out onto city streets.  Likewise, the path ended just south of Cohoes and again dumped out onto streets.  There was then, and still is, a gap of about 4 miles until the path starts again north of Albany, so your memory is correct.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

On 6/4/2023 at 8:02 PM, TrentonMakes said:

the entire route was contained within a 1-mile radius of the house.

Funny. Sometimes I feel like riding, but not venturing out. So I can get up to about 20 miles just meandering around my city, and not be more than a few miles from home :D

• Heart 4

6/7- started practices with Ethan’s Sp.Olympics swimming team, but I only got in 50 meters. One of our athlete’s brother invited a women from their golf team to join us. But she cannot swim. She wants to float on a kick board. So, I ended up working with her skills progression. She needs to swim a full 25 meters by next week, or she cannot compete. The competition venues are 6-10 feet deep, and athletes cannot pause to put their feet down or use floats. 
6/8- 5 mile walk

6/9- 45 minutes in the gym; 1 mile walk

6/10- 2 mile hike

6/11- 45 minutes in the gym

6/12- 13 mile ride 

@petitepedal and @shootingstar, I best get started with yoga again. I’ve got savasana on lock. Lol… 

:check:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

On 6/12/2023 at 3:48 PM, MoseySusan said:

6/7- started practices with Ethan’s Sp.Olympics swimming team, but I only got in 50 meters. One of our athlete’s brother invited a women from their golf team to join us. But she cannot swim. She wants to float on a kick board. So, I ended up working with her skills progression. She needs to swim a full 25 meters by next week, or she cannot compete. The competition venues are 6-10 feet deep, and athletes cannot pause to put their feet down or use floats. 
6/8- 5 mile walk

6/9- 45 minutes in the gym; 1 mile walk

6/10- 2 mile hike

6/11- 45 minutes in the gym

6/12- 13 mile ride 

@petitepedal and @shootingstar, I best get started with yoga again. I’ve got savasana on lock. Lol… 

Thankfully smoke not around today...for now.

So after riding to work, slogging over work and biked elsewhere through heat and breeze:  24 km. 

:check:

Maybe the yoga session is simply lying in various positions on mat and standing movements.  I'm sure some folks will be far from yoga-ready but will join in.  Below is a yoga position (which I have no clue the name of it) that was shown to us 25 yrs. ago at a workshop that was part of a cycling conference for women cyclists. I was part of the committee in Toronto, Women on Wheels.

I do just a few turns in my semi-absent minded exercise routine on the floor at home over the yeras.  It's good for upper body flexibility....you know those shoulder checks we have to do on bike, etc.

seatedtwistpose_bglevp.jpeg

• Heart 2

23 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Gout? I hope not.

Nope. I hyperextended my big toes nearly 30 years ago. Weather fronts sometimes set them off. I can sometimes get relief if the knuckle on that ball of the foot pops. Otherwise I just take it easy for a day and it’s usually better. 

• Heart 3