My propane camp stove blew up this morning.

Rattlecan

Right in the middle of cooking breakfast.

Thankfully I was able to finish up with the induction cooktop, but I had to make an unplanned trip to town to buy a new stove.

The old one didn’t really owe me anything as I am pretty sure I have had it for over 20 years.

• Heart 3
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Thankfully I was able to finish up with the induction cooktop, but I had to make an unplanned trip to town to buy a new stove.

The old one didn’t really owe me anything as I am pretty sure I have had it for over 20 years.

What kind of "camp stove"?  I only have two types - the little burner that screws onto the top of a bottle and the large two burner Coleman stove.  Neither seem likely to ever explode, but seemingly, they can???

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What kind of "camp stove"?  I only have two types - the little burner that screws onto the top of a bottle and the large two burner Coleman stove.  Neither seem likely to ever explode, but seemingly, they can???

It was the large two burner Coleman.

I was being a bit over dramatic when I said it blew up.

I heard a little Pop and a hiss from inside the body of the stove and a flame shot out by the gas pipe connection accompanied by the smell of burning plastic or rubber or something.

If it hadn't been so old I probably would have dug into to see if it was something that could be fixed, but thinking it was about time for a new one anyway I didn't bother.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

It was the large two burner Coleman.

I was being a bit over dramatic when I said it blew up.

I heard a little Pop and a hiss from inside the body of the stove and a flame shot out by the gas pipe connection accompanied by the smell of burning plastic or rubber or something.

If it hadn't been so old I probably would have dug into to see if it was something that could be fixed, but thinking it was about time for a new one anyway I didn't bother.

Is it the type that uses a pipe that threads onto the stove that accepts a 1 lb. propane tank?

51RDF+PoooL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is not uncommon for these to leak at the joint where the pipe attaches to the stove, esp. on cool mornings.   

One of our patrols was named the Flaming Chuck Box patrol when this happened to them.  We got the fire out, tightened the pipe and all was well.

I image you were smelling burning paint and or o-rings / seals at the threaded joint.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Is it the type that uses a pipe that threads onto the stove that accepts a 1 lb. propane tank?

51RDF+PoooL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is not uncommon for these to leak at the joint where the pipe attaches to the stove, esp. on cool mornings.   

One of our patrols was named the Flaming Chuck Box patrol when this happened to them.  We got the fire out, tightened the pipe and all was well.

I image you were smelling burning paint and or o-rings / seals at the threaded joint.

Yeah looks exactly like that. The first thing I checked was that it was tight.

I quit using the one pound canisters and got an 11 pound tank and an adapter hose.

Good for an entire season of camping.

6 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Yeah looks exactly like that. The first thing I checked was that it was tight.

I quit using the one pound canisters and got an 11 pound tank and an adapter hose.

Good for an entire season of camping.

What I have found is that in cool or cold weather, what you think is tight is not sealed tight and after it heats up, it leaks.  I have developed a technique of using the pipe like a wrench and holding the brass collar very tight in my hand.  Tighten pipe and collar by rotationg both at the same time, then I hold the collar tight and move the pipe back a bit, then tighten again.  Not sure if this is clear, but it works well.  We have about a dozen of these stoves for our scout troop.

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I hate when that happens. Glad you’re not a burnt marshmallow.

Pressurized system with check valves.  A gas leak will cause uncontrolled flame but very little chance of the flame travelling up the pipe to the regulator and past the check valve.  Not impossible but super unlikely.  Our troop has used these stoves for decades on a montly basis and I have seen 1 fire caused by a leaking regulator pipe.  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I had to make an unplanned trip to town to buy a new stove.

What did you buy? J-Shar’s advice is useful for your new stove and propane setup so your new stove doesn’t inadvertently become a new flame thrower. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

WHOA!!!  COOL!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Pressurized system with check valves.  A gas leak will cause uncontrolled flame but very little chance of the flame travelling up the pipe to the regulator and past the check valve.  Not impossible but super unlikely.  Our troop has used these stoves for decades on a montly basis and I have seen 1 fire caused by a leaking regulator pipe.  

Aha! I knew it. This really is you.

Screenshot_20240208-194808~2.png

• Haha 2