I don't believe that I have ever had red beans and rice

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Could be. A well-made bowl of red beans you’d remember. I like to use the smaller Salvadoran red beans. Soak em overnight and boil them with a ham bone or ham hock for about an hour. Remove the bone and return any meat to the beans. Simmer dem beans while you saute onion, celery, and bell pepper. Add some thyme, salt, rosemary, black and red pepper. Throw some garlic in there too. Add to beans and cook for a little longer. To thicken mash some beans. Serve over rice.

This just made me hungry!

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

I have not had them :dontknow: beans have been a texture thing for me so in my old ages I have been working to get over it...I will now do cold pasta salad..cold eggs and potato salad are also a challenge..beans are easier for me to eat than potato salad :whistle:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Another southern dish I was introduced to when down there & love.  I have always had it with some spicy sausage cooked with the beans.  

If you are ever in St Augistine FL look for Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill.  It's just a block north of the Bridge of Lions and has indoor and outdoor eating areas.  They had Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya so good that I would drive there from the Orlando area on weekends just for lunch.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If you are ever in St Augistine FL look for Harry's Seafood Bar and Grill.  It's just a block north of the Bridge of Lions and has indoor and outdoor eating areas.  They had Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya so good that I would drive there from the Orlando area on weekends just for lunch.

My FIL is in Sarasota so that may be a bit of a drive… I had a favorite place in Memphis that served it.  I would go there every time we were there for meetings.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

Red beans and rice is a pretty good meal.  Just find a recipe on allrecipes.com that looks good and go for it.

Avoid Texas Red Beans and Rice.  They don't put beans in it so it is just rice.

Hey!  I sense a disturbance in the farce!  The forum is low on Texicans this weekend!