Pencils

Airehead

I do much of my work in pencil. I love sharpening a pencil to a nice point and diving into a new project.  Plus, you see, I make frequent errors. 

Problem is that I am down to two decent pencils. I need recommendations for great pencils. 

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I do much of my work in pencil. I love sharpening a pencil to a nice point and diving into a new project.  Plus, you see, I make frequent errors. 

Problem is that I am down to two decent pencils. I need recommendations for great pencils. 

A hotel I stayed at left Palomino Golden Bear pencils in the room.  I really like it and have had it for over a year now.  No idea where to buy them.  Maybe Amazon. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I like cedar pencils. There's probably many companies that make them.

image.png.609614f0f1b85733515172ce82b245d1.png

I get a whiff of cedar from the Palomino when I open my brief case.  They must use aromatic cedar to have it maintain the smell so long.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A hotel I stayed at left Palomino Golden Bear pencils in the room.  I really like it and have had it for over a year now.  No idea where to buy them.  Maybe Amazon. 

Does it have the odd shaped brass for holding the eraser?  No wait that is the gold wing I think. 

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

mechanically, this is my favorite. I like 0.7mm for writing, but the 0.5mm is great for lines in drafting.

image.png.f575d8dc8f3520ea029e6196492a930b.png

I have never really used me hanical

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

I’ve had this pencil for almost 40 years. Faber Castell Colormatic. I used them a lot in my first job (pre - laptops) but this one was my favorite and survived my many moves and jobs. I tend to prefer .5 mechanical pencils and a recent favorite was a Pilot mechanical pencil. 

IMG_6902.jpeg

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Omg, I hate pencils with a passion!  It is the tactile feel of the vibration/scraping when using them that gets to me.  I got in trouble in school for refusing to use them, especially in math classes.

At one point, I discovered drafting pencils, which didn't have that crap feel.  Whew!

Aire, get yourself a drafting pencil and you will never, ever, go back.  Well, maybe you can't get those drafting pencils in prison, so maybe stop your murderous rampages before you get caught.

Edit:  Once again, I should have read all the replies before responding.  Pencils are triggering to me, you see.

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

41 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

mechanically, this is my favorite. I like 0.7mm for writing, but the 0.5mm is great for lines in drafting.

That is the one I started using, they are awesome!  I standardized on the light blue, but I never saw this color. 

Nice!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have Dixon Ticonderoga #2s on my desk.  Have the "black" ones and the regular yellow ones.  Great pencils, and slow to wear out.  I use them a lot.

One of our vendors at work used those in black with a special imprint for the company name. one of those pencils usually found their way into my briefcase every time I visited their office :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Does it have the odd shaped brass for holding the eraser?  No wait that is the gold wing I think. 

Nope, just an ordinary one.  My daughter has ones with a pinched brass eraser ring.  I will have to ask her what they are.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I spent several years on a drawing board involved in mechanical design.  I still have a collection of Pentel 0.5mm pencils in a box somewhere, holding down my collection of circle templates and French curves.  One pencil for every lead hardness.  They were obviously my favorite.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

I preferred mechanical pencils when auditing. 0.5 mm. Never needs sharpening.  Erasers aren’t needed if you don’t make mistakes. 

and the one mistake I made, the white staedtler erasers work best.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I like these as well.  I've worn the letters off the green one. They're both about 20 years old.

The only problem I have with mechanical pencils is that they don't annoy the hell out of everyone around you when you click them incessantly. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

any of you use these? They were also popular back in school, and makes holding a pencil more comfortable. And they had a nice aroma :skipping:

Triangular-pencil-grips.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i

I have some for cheap too light pencils. 

• Like 1

I don't use pencils a lot, but I like the disposable mechanical No. 2 0.7 mm lead pencils that have the rubber grip at the bottom.

The eraser plus the wide plastic at the top is just over 1/4" and I push the eraser and plastic down into seed-starter soid to make a hole where I'll drop a seed.

I've seen YouTube videos where they sprinkle up to a dozen seeds onto the soil and cover them a little, then pich off all but one of two, but at a typical 10-25 seeds per packet, that doesn't work for me.

image.png.d922e5939dab82a82d2529e802dac8fe.png

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

In my last job, my first manager who retired before latest manager, did all her note-taking in ...pencil.  She refused to even touch our corporate online software for e-documents which her team (us) was responsible for setting data standard across the corporation /depts., develop courses on different features of software, work with IT and deliver group instruction to dept., on how to use the software.

She had traditional beautiful handwriting in pencil. 

My handwriting (pen and pencil) deteroriated so much over last 45 yrs.  Friends can barely read a short handwritten paragraph in a snail card from me. 

My pencil interest would be different softness and hardness 2H vs. 3B ...for art sketching.  And the art erasers for that clean-up.

• Heart 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

In my early days, I went through hundreds of these.

i+w x musgrave carpenter pencil 3-pack – imogene + willie

Then, pencils are not allowed in the lab.  FDA has a rule for documents where we must use indelible ink.  There are even rules for making corrections.

Underwriter laboratories doesn't like stuff written in pencil

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Pencils in my desk drawer. The black one is a Tri-Conderoga; the three sides keeps them from rolling away. IMG_2211.thumb.jpeg.ff8e93aa23332d87e414aab68ca89806.jpeg

The cheap Office Depot ones are not well balanced and make noise. The one with the “lead” carefully centered re nicer to use. 

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Do you remember those big-ass laddie pencils?  I remember them from kindergarten. that is where I learned to hate pencils.  They were as big as a horse's leg and were seemingly always needed sharpening.

I still have some in my desk from my years of teaching preschool

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

In finetip sharpie for UL?

(In Canada it was ULC and own separate technical testing standards, not sure about now.)

Should be.

In 2003 we had a product line UL recognized, and the inspector was on-sight to witness some testing. I was writing in pencil. I can't remember his exact words but ink is preferred. This way its difficult to cover up an error. If an error is written, cross it out, sign & date it ;)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1