ROKU, Chromecast or Firestick?

jsharr

Roku has better programming. 

I use no subscription services so the chromecast I have is perfect. I watch youtube and ABC which has the best list of the current shows for streaming in hd.

I also use plex media server on my pc so I can cast my entire tv and movie libraries anywhere in the house with my chromecast(s)

Roku has better programming. 

I use no subscription services so the chromecast I have is perfect. I watch youtube and ABC which has the best list of the current shows for streaming in hd.

I also use plex media server on my pc so I can cast my entire tv and movie libraries anywhere in the house with my chromecast(s)

I do the same with my Roku's. The firestick, I had to pay for the plex app and it buffers all of the time. 

Roku here (2x's) Like it. Easy set up (none) and easy navigation

Only use Amazon streaming & Netflix. Got us through the winter at our vacation home. We turn off the cable during the winter. I showed WoScrapr how to stream her shows on the laptop and now she wants a laptop over there.

I'm not sure we can ever cut the cord entirely. So this gets us through. WoScrapr likes the cooking shows. So if we could stream that I'd be one step closer to cable free

None.  I built a home theater PC and run XBMC on it; after having several appliance-type video devices, I didn't get the control I wanted.  With the box I built, I can either use a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, or a remote control, depending on what I want to do.

If I ran an appliance, it'd be between the Roku and the Amazon FireTV (not the stick, which doesn't have as fast of a processor) most likely --however, neither of those options are portable.  Are you looking for something you can travel with?

I don't have any of those, am I missing something?  My Blu Ray player gets Netflix and Amazon and a bunch of other stuff.  D I need more?

​That's kinda where I'm at.

I had Chromecast, but ended up not liking it within a week or so. We use Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming, both we can do straight through the apps on the TV. We don't watch enough TV to go out and find something to give us more options. We even cut cable about 3-4 years ago.

We do not have a smart TV or a blu ray player.  I just have ATT Uverse box and ATT Uverse internet with a wireless router thingee so we have WiFi.  I just want soemthing that would allow me to watch online stuff on my TV with the least amount of fuss.  We do have Amazon Prime, so I would like to be able to take advantage of that.

We do not have a smart TV or a blu ray player.  I just have ATT Uverse box and ATT Uverse internet with a wireless router thingee so we have WiFi.  I just want soemthing that would allow me to watch online stuff on my TV with the least amount of fuss.  We do have Amazon Prime, so I would like to be able to take advantage of that.

​Do you have xbox or wii or anything like that hooked up? They usually have a Netflix or probably Amazon Prime (by now) app.

If not, you can also get a blue-ray player with those smart apps for the same or less than you can a Roku. I think the blu-ray I bought last year (that I'm not sure if I've even used) has those apps in it (and is wifi capable).

​Do you have xbox or wii or anything like that hooked up? They usually have a Netflix or probably Amazon Prime (by now) app.

If not, you can also get a blue-ray player with those smart apps for the same or less than you can a Roku. I think the blu-ray I bought last year (that I'm not sure if I've even used) has those apps in it (and is wifi capable).

​No gaming systems on the TV in the den.  

None.  I built a home theater PC and run XBMC on it; after having several appliance-type video devices, I didn't get the control I wanted.  With the box I built, I can either use a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, or a remote control, depending on what I want to do.

If I ran an appliance, it'd be between the Roku and the Amazon FireTV (not the stick, which doesn't have as fast of a processor) most likely --however, neither of those options are portable.  Are you looking for something you can travel with?

​Maybe move from room to room or take on trips to parents, etc.  I want simplicity.  I like that ROKU has a remote.  I found one that someone in our hood bought but they were trying to cut the cable and it did not work, as the husband is a news hound and had to have his news channels.

They want $60 for a NIB ROKU 3

I couldn't add the playon app to my Blueray smart thingy. Also not a choice on the firestick.

​I don't know if it's changed or not. I tried Playon when you first mentioned it maybe a couple of years ago at the other place. It was a bit of a pain having to run the Playon server task all the time and then when I configured it on the TV, trying to use the play/pause, etc... was horrible. The remote worked like a mouse and buttons were about the size of a gnat.

Which begs a similar question.

What would ROKU buy me that I don't get from Netflix/Amazon Prime? Seriously...I don't know. Are there anything it has that wouldn't be available in those places?

​I don't know if it's changed or not. I tried Playon when you first mentioned it maybe a couple of years ago at the other place. It was a bit of a pain having to run the Playon server task all the time and then when I configured it on the TV, trying to use the play/pause, etc... was horrible. The remote worked like a mouse and buttons were about the size of a gnat.

Which begs a similar question.

What would ROKU buy me that I don't get from Netflix/Amazon Prime? Seriously...I don't know. Are there anything it has that wouldn't be available in those places?

​Nothing really. Ive been using a Raspberry pi running XBMC lately for stuff I cant access on the Roku.

• Heart 1

So, if I just want the easiest way to get stuff from my computer to my tv via WIFI what do I go with.  I will never have a fancy schamcy set up I just want Netflix and Hula and Amazon and Youtube to appear like magic on my TV.  And I want to spend as little as possible and I want to have a remote and I hate buffering.

​But Roku is under 50 as well?  

​Oh....didn't realize it. I was just looking at it a few months ago, and I thought the latest version was about $100. Can you do Netflix/Amazon/Hulu through Roku? If so, that's probably just as fine too, then.

​Oh....didn't realize it. I was just looking at it a few months ago, and I thought the latest version was about $100. Can you do Netflix/Amazon/Hulu through Roku? If so, that's probably just as fine too, then.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-1

Or i have a neighbor selling two of these for $60 each.  May offer her $50 cash

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

​No gaming systems on the TV in the den.  

​Do they still make gaming systems?

I use a Western Digital media player, because it can play every damn file type out there.  I load up at a buddy's place, just fill up a terabyte or so with movies and tv shows.  It is pretty great at that.  

​Do they still make gaming systems?

I use a Western Digital media player, because it can play every damn file type out there.  I load up at a buddy's place, just fill up a terabyte or so with movies and tv shows.  It is pretty great at that.  

​That's illegal.

​I don't think people still do that, do they?  I made RW throw away her DVD player when we started living together.

​I watch a disc every now and then.

I am leaning towards ROKU

http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Just made an offer of $50 for a very lightly used ROKU 3

​I think that's the same article I looked at a month or so ago. 

Based on what you need, that information in the article that compares them, and that you know someone selling a used Roku 3, I think that you made the right decision. Seems almost a no-brainer to me. I'd have done the same.