Your first computer

Road Runner

Mine was a Zenith Data Systems ZP-150 in 1984.   :)

photo_ZenithZP500LAPTOP.101-1.jpg

Specs:

• Weight: 7.7 lb
  • Dimensions: 13"W × 11.1"D × 1.8"H
  • Ram:  32K, expandable to 416K
  • ROM: 224K, plus 2 sockets for software expansion
  • CPU:  Intel 80C88
  • Power: 12VDC or 10 AA alkaline batteries (providing 15 hours run-time w/o modem), plus internal nickel-cadmium battery for retaining memory while off, up to 8 days
  • Ports:

Parallel printer RS-232C Telephone line (300 baud modem) System bus BCR (for a bar code reader) CMT (for data cassette recorder) ACP (for acoustic coupler) Handset (of telephone)

• LCD display (80 characters/line with 16 lines), contrast control, volume control, and low battery indicator
  • 75-key typewriter-style keyboard

The stock 32K RAM could hold up to 10 typewritten pages. The main methods of file transfer were via the modem or the RS-232C port and a file transfer program.

First one I remember working on was an early Apple, the box with everything in it and the plug in keyboard and mouse in the 1980s

First one I bought for me was built by a shop in Dallas called Lucky Computers.  I used to have the scanned receipt but I lost it in a drive crash.

I have a PDF at home of the invoice that I scanned (Years later when I found it in my strong box).

It was a 286 (circa 1990 or 1991). 1MB ram (640 base RAM with 384 extended RAM)

40MB hard drive

Both 5.25 and 3.5" floppy drives.

2400 Baud modem

DOS 4.0

I went back about a month after I got it and bought the Math Co-Processor too. Felt like an electronic god when I installed it myself.

First computer was a pre-production (prototype) Osborne computer. My dad was an electrical engineer for the longest time for a company that made circuit boards so we tended to be ahead of the power curve tech-wise

We've had just about every computer since - Timex Sinclair 100, Tandy 1000, Commodore Vic 20, 64 and Amiga, Atari 800, IBM and then generation after generation after generation of computer after that.

I had a hand held TRS-80. 

trs80pc1.jpg

I used it to cheat in my statistics class.  We were allowed to use calculators and since it looked like one the prof didn't care that I had it.  I programmed it to display formula for some problems.  For others I programmed it to prompt me for the information and print out the steps so I could show the work.

I remember using my little ZP-150 to get online.  No internet, you just dialed up certain numbers using your 300 baud modem and you could participate in various forum discussions.

I've been on forums for thirty years and I'm still dumb as a rock.   :(

I did a few bulletin boards until Prodigy came out; then I used that for a while. Within a year or two I could get internet access (what little 'internet' there was back then) via my college dial-up.

Amstrad_8512_System_s1.jpg

Amstrad PCW8512 that I bought when I lived in England. The 512 part of the title was the 512K of memory. There was also a cheaper 8256 version with less memory and only one floppy drive. It ran CP/M for the OS. No hard drive. It had 3" floppy disc drives. No misprint - 3" not 3.5" discs. The A drive would only hold 170K of data on the disc. Green screen monitor. Strange 9-pin dot matrix printer.

It was a very popular series of computers in the UK and a few other countries. Sears sold about 80,000 of them in the USA. I added an external 3.5" drive to mine and made quite a bit of money converting data on the 3" discs to 3.5" for people when they upgraded to PCs.

I learned how to program with Mallard Basic which was named after a famous train and not a duck.

I only have one.  A four year-old HP desktop w/Windows 7.   Works for me.

My current one is a power house. I had used laptops for about the past 10 years and missed having a real power house. Even though I don't play games much, I wanted something with oomph. So about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago I built my own with pretty much top of the line everything, full 32 gigs RAM, SSD drives, etc....

• 9 months later...

I used a TRS-80 and then a VIC-20 in school, and then we got a Commodore 64 for Christmas one year.  Can't count the hours I spent on that thing, playing games and writing programs in BASIC.

I actually still have the C64, the tape drive, the 1541 disk drive... not sure if any of it still works.  I have a C64 emulator for the PC, to play a few of the good games ("good" probably being pretty subjective).  We had a game cartridge called "Jack Attack" that I couldn't get enough of.  Still one of my favorite computer games ever.

jack_attack_03.gif

• 2 months later...