Retirement

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Back to the van trailer plan, at least for part of the year. 

Can we park the trailer in your driveway for a spell?  There are lots of places to see.

2029 :hapydance:

Then I can act like Longjohn and the others that are living the dream.

I'd say "yes" but by 2029 I'll be dead. Better get here before that.

• Heart 1

You can park in my driveway and ride this mountain bike trail.  You will have to pedal, it's not downhill.  I planned to do an adventure race that they had there one time and figured I better try out their trail beforehand since I had never ridden it.  I couldn't get through the rock garden, I carried my bike through it and when I saw I would have to carry my bike up the next hill I decided to become a roadie. My son now has my mountain bike and goes riding with my granddaughters but he doesn't do single track either.

• Heart 3

18 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I had a boat exactly like this one.  1983 19 ft Bayliner Capri, Volvo I/O.  Sold it in 95.  

Related image 

But did you have a siren?  

P1000268_zpsdd8bdcd4.jpg

and look @Dirtyhip,  right behind the boat is a shed with water hookup, sewer hookup and electrical.  I was planning ahead for visitors with trailers. :)  

• Heart 3

Just now, Wilbur said:

She will make an exception for you Kirby.  Do you have a grubby trailer park nearby? 

No, but there is a shuttle from the condo complex to the local train parking lot. :nodhead:

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Sure! I will show you the joys of nj!

Show her Newark, that place has a lot of joys. I survived Newark when I was a noob truck driver.  I arrived at my destination and they had the gate locked until 7am so I climbed into my sleeper and slept in the truck. At 7am a guard came out and woke me up and said I must have the biggest balls of any truck driver, he had never seen a truck driver park on the street in Newark and go to sleep.  My guardian angel had gray hair at an early age.:whistle:

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Oh DH, don't you believe him.

You know how pickling preserves stuff, right?

Every time I've visited him he's always got some beer on tap that he's brewed, and he's pretty well pickled with it too, so he'll be around a while.

But sometimes pickles get old and mushy.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Retirement is greatly overrated.  Work and career is much more satisfying.

Depends.

If my work history were a relationship, it would be a relatively abusive one. While I'm in a place that's not bad now, the scars from gaslighting, verbal abuse, and knife wounds to the back are like a physical injury that tells someone else when it's going to rain.

If I could afford to retire, I wouldn't miss work.  I might miss the occasional individual person, but I wouldn't miss it overall.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

May be true for some, but one needs to know when it is time to go.  It is not rewarding when one feels themselves slowing down and not being as efficient as they once were.  Better you make the decision than force it upon someone else.

• Heart 3

Ride your bike to work day is this Thursday. I'm thinking about riding down to where I use to work and paying them a visit. I have not been back since I retired. It's common for the retired guys to stop back in once in awhile and tell everyone how great retirement is. I still have my swiper to get in with, they told me to keep it in case I ever want to come back and visit.

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Ride your bike to work day is this Thursday. I'm thinking about riding down to where I use to work and paying them a visit. I have not been back since I retired. It's common for the retired guys to stop back in once in awhile and tell everyone how great retirement is. I still have my swiper to get in with, they told me to keep it in case I ever want to come back and visit.

Swipe cards and keys were the first thing they required me to put on the table.  Of course they didn't let me retire either.  Instead they laid me off 5 months before my retirement age.  Maybe they were smart enough to know better than to let me keep anything.

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I will take wood splinters over fibreglass splinters any day. :)  

Ditto.  I actually found I have some form of allergy after sitting on a boat with fiberglass seats for several hours fishing as a kid.  Lovely rash on my legs, that was; switched from shorts to jeans after that.

17 hours ago, Road Runner said:

9 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

May be true for some, but one needs to know when it is time to go. 

Of course you are right, SH.  But I may have had my tongue just slightly in my cheek when I made that statement about retirement being overrated.   :)

I worked until I was sixty six and a half. That last half year I was drawing full pension, full social security, and full pay. I managed to get my finances in decent shape working that last six months and double dipping. I didn't want to work in the summer, I had kayaks, bikes, and granddaughters calling my name.

• Heart 1

Actually, I might quit in 5 years, and hubby could work supplemental for another few years. We have a lot saved already. I don't want to work till I am too old. Also, I don't want to work too long, when we might not need to. I won't take social security until I am 66 or so. We have a bunch of revenue streams. If we play frugal for a few years we can totally retire early. 

It will hurt my totals a lot, but again...I don't think we will need it. We live on a fraction of our income now and we have plenty left. Our finances are simple.  

The only spendy thing we do is the bike thing. We have some rad bikes. We don't need or want for much.

There is a large fund waiting for us to buy a new truck and a towable house.

So, maybe I can hit rural N.Y. in time. 

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

But did you have a siren?  

P1000268_zpsdd8bdcd4.jpg

and look @Dirtyhip,  right behind the boat is a shed with water hookup, sewer hookup and electrical.  I was planning ahead for visitors with trailers. :)  

Excellent. BTW, we looked into Canadian residency. It seems quite simple really. Like 4 years and then you can apply. I could like applying for permanent residency in Squamish, after our vagabond stuff grows old. Head down South for 4 months every year. Oh yeah!

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

. Head down South for 4 months every year. Oh yeah!

This is why I bought a motorhome. Maybe pickup a part time job for a little spending cash.

• Heart 1