Cord Cutters?

Razors Edge

How about a few of you "cord cutters" out there provide us with your ideas, pros, cons, and general insights into how to break away from the growing Internet+cableTV+other stuff that all adds up these days?

Let's assume $50 for most people to get normal Internet. What else are good plus-ups and how much would they add? What makes them better or worse than a simple cable+DVR option?

Tom

The top 3, Netflix, amazon and Hulu. They work well in combination, because the good content is spread over all 3. Add a live streaming option like sling and you’re getting close to cable tv prices in total. When we had cable we also had Netflix and the others. When we dropped cable we added sling. I wouldn’t miss sling if we got rid of it. The only thing I watch on it is hockey. 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I wish we could get a cord. Try getting all that off a satellite and see what you pay.

After dealing with my mom always complaining about her satellite and only having her phone & tablet with internet, we finally broke down and sent Comcast out there to set up cable & Internet and gave her a new laptop.

She has new complaints now. :angry:

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

After dealing with my mom always complaining about her satellite and only having her phone & tablet with internet, we finally broke down and sent Comcast out there to set up cable & Internet and gave her a new laptop.

She has new complaints now. :angry:

Tom

Lol, some people will complain if they are hung with a new rope.  Living in the boonies we don't have options. My satellite is working great today, yesterday not so much. It is the most expensive crappiest broadband available.

When I lived in Cincinnati we cut the cord because the cable bundle we bought moving in went from $90/month for cable, phone and Internet to $220, but we'll give you a break for $180. We cut cable and phone and cost dropped to $50/month. We bought the Apple TV thing and streamed Netflix. After two months of not watching anything we dropped that and picked up MLB network for $99/year. Wo7 likes watching baseball and in Cincinnati we could watch all the Nationals games. 

When I moved to VA I got internet through Verizon, $60/month and a digital indoor antenna. But that only picked up NBC and Fox, no other networks. Bought the Amazon Firestick and read instructions on how to jailbreak it to access movies and shows. No success there yet but I did download a bunch of apps and get access to a lot of programs over the webs. I don't watch much tv so it works for me. If you're really into the entertainment thing you could get more out of it than I do.

Kind of ridiculous that about the time phones went wireless TV went wired.

couple more years, cable will be dead, as well as much of the traditional TV network model of delivery.  Cellular data transmission will evolve enough to handle it all.   All we need is full solar or home power generation, get rid of all those wires.  Could be paid for with the money spent on fixing the grid after a storm.

I AM a visionary!

8 minutes ago, 12string said:

Kind of ridiculous that about the time phones went wireless TV went wired.

couple more years, cable will be dead, as well as much of the traditional TV network model of delivery.  Cellular data transmission will evolve enough to handle it all.   All we need is full solar or home power generation, get rid of all those wires.  Could be paid for with the money spent on fixing the grid after a storm.

I AM a visionary!

This is true and the cable / satellite tv companies will find a way of controlling it to make money and screw us over

6 minutes ago, Chris... said:

This is true and the cable / satellite tv companies will find a way of controlling it to make money and screw us over

Other than Comcast making moves to acquire non traditional content providers, The Netflix/Amazon etc movement will make cable and satellite providers the bit players.  That only changes the name of the screwer.

I pay $40/month for Charter internet service and $100/year for my cell fone. I check out DVDs from my library if I want to watch something. Apparently I can stream sports through charter. Done it once. Not having cable or netflix keeps me from just mindlessly watching tv which I would do. I find I'm reading more without cable.

I am on Spectrum cable/internet. About 18 months ago, I went into the local office to ask what could be done because our bill was so high. They found some things they could change and dropped it $50 month. It started to creep up a few months ago. We are back close to what we were before. Time for another visit. 

My son has Sling and Playstation something or other. Between the 2 and Netflix, he has everything he wants to watch. 

I'm thinking we could drop cable and do the Playstation and Netflix to get most of what we watch now. Looking at options myself....

I put an antenna in the attic and can pull in about 25 channels. It's hooked up to a Philips DVR with a 160 GB hard drive. MeTV is a favorite.

I also get Amazon Prime through a Roku. That's about $99 a year.

We still have cable TV and a landline but they will be the first to go if money gets tight.

17 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

Comcast won't run a line to our house. The closest line ends about 500 ft. away and they run away when we periodically request to get service. The price we pay for being at the back of the hood.

That reminds me of when I tried to sign up for Comcast internet service online (was a WOW subscriber at the time) back in February.

Every time I entered my address into the box, a message would pop up (words to the effect) saying that my address didn't exist. I could put in my neighbors address on either side of me and Comcast liked those just fine, but mine? Nope. So I went to the closest Comcast office and they tried putting my address into their system and got the same results I did. In order for them to get me into their system and hooked up for internet, they had to send a representative to my house to 1) make sure there was actually a house at that address and 2) to make sure I actually lived there.

All of that just to save about $20 bucks a month over WOW with what has turned out to be some pretty crappy internet service. I'll be glad when my one year contract is up so I can dump 'em.

I cut the cord 3 years ago. I was hesitant but my sister got me Apple TV for Christmas, and that proved to be the impetus. My wife had wanted to cut cable; $180 a month was a lot to watch a few shows we liked and VOIP/internet. I only have Netflix and that's been fine for watching shows. Occasionally I'll rent a move from iTunes if it's something I'm really interested in, but by and large just the one streaming channel is fine. I have been tempted to get HBO Now because I like their shows and they feature a wide variety of movies, but haven't pulled the trigger yet and doubt I will. I watch news from Sky and the BBC as well as PBS. Sports has taken a hit so losing out on the English Premier League stinks, but with the internet I can follow results. So I went from paying $180 a month to $67 (internet and Netflix).