Man, this is nutz! Still more washer problems

Ralphie

The damn thing fills with water even with both shutoff valves off!  They sure look like they hold when disconnected.

Taking it from the beginning, one day the washer is filled with water while sitting idle.  I see water dripping down the inlet to the drum, so I shut off the water and the drip stops, so I figure it is the washer water inlet valve.  I leave the washer sit with the water valves off for a few days while the part is being shipped.  I told the wife and daughter they could use it if they turned off the shutoff valves when done.  The day the part gets here, daughter #2 puts some clothes in the washer but I tell her to hold off until I install the new valve, but we see there is water in the washer!  

So I replace the inlet valve, but the new one leaks into the case of the washer, so I have to put the old one back in.  I leave the hoses connected with both shutoff valves off, and this morning the washer is full of water again.  The valves are 32 years old, and most other shutoff valves in the house won;t even turn off, but I can't understand how they can leak intermittently.  I have the hoses disconnected now for observation while a new water shutoff valve comes in.  I doubt it is a drain siphon issue that just suddenly appears without the washer being used, but who knows!  I am sort of baffled at this point.  The first time it filled after about 3 days, the second time within one day.

Could it be possessed?

Could water use in the adjoining bathroom or kitchen be the problem?  Seems unlikely since the shutoff valves always have full water pressure on them.  Possibly backflowing through the drain from the bathtub?  Or dishwasher since that really fits the period. I did just run a load last night. 

I have the hoses disconnected so if it happens again it has to be the drain.   

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The damn thing fills with water even with both shutoff valves off!  They sure look like they hold when disconnected.

Taking it from the beginning, one day the washer is filled with water while sitting idle.  I see water dripping down the inlet to the drum, so I shut off the water and the drip stops, so I figure it is the washer water inlet valve.  I leave the washer sit with the water valves off for a few days while the part is being shipped.  I told the wife and daughter they could use it if they turned off the shutoff valves when done.  The day the part gets here, daughter #2 puts some clothes in the washer but I tell her to hold off until I install the new valve, but we see there is water in the washer!  

So I replace the inlet valve, but the new one leaks into the case of the washer, so I have to put the old one back in.  I leave the hoses connected with both shutoff valves off, and this morning the washer is full of water again.  The valves are 32 years old, and most other shutoff valves in the house won;t even turn off, but I can't understand how they can leak intermittently.  I have the hoses disconnected now for observation while a new water shutoff valve comes in.  I doubt it is a drain siphon issue that just suddenly appears without the washer being used, but who knows!  I am sort of baffled at this point.  The first time it filled after about 3 days, the second time within one day.

Could it be possessed?

Could water use in the adjoining bathroom or kitchen be the problem?  Seems unlikely since the shutoff valves always have full water pressure on them.  Possibly backflowing through the drain from the bathtub?  Or dishwasher since that really fits the period. I did just run a load last night. 

I have the hoses disconnected so if it happens again it has to be the drain.   

It sounds to me like you just need to buy a new bike.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I replaced my washing machine recently and if you listen to the new one run you would think it was possessed. It has sensors and it determines the optimal water level for your load. It adds some water, then runs for a couple seconds, adds some more water, etc...... I close the lid and when I come back the clothes are clean. That’s all that matters but the first time I ran it I thought for sure I was going to have to wrestle it back to the store for replacement.

• Heart 1

really doubt it's the drain backing up, you would have water on the floor.  And it would stink.  And you would have many other problems.  Do you have a nearby sink?  That would have a lower drain.

Your shut off valves are no longer shut off valves, they are slow down valves.  And the deposits that messed those up probably did in the washer fill valve.

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Fills with water with the shutoff valves closed???  Are you sure you're looking at the right shutoff valves?

They are the only two in the room!  I guess I'll just replace the washer inlet valve and keep a VERY close eye on this sucker!

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Where’s Ralph? We made all of these wonderful comments on his post and he hasn’t responded yet.

I hope you bastards enjoyed yourselves! 

After reading through maxx's links, I figure I'll just replace the inlet valve, cause the hot water inlet screen does look pretty deposity.  Plus I don;t see how it could have backfed through the drain since it gets pumped oot, so shirley there must be a check valve in there somewheres. 

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

They are the only two in the room!  I guess I'll just replace the washer inlet valve and keep a VERY close eye on this sucker!

...have you ruled out the shutoffs by routing the hoses from them into a bucket or sink instead of the washer and checking after an hour or so ?

I thought that suggestion aboot the shutoffs having magically transformed into slowdowns was a good guess.  Those valves are often olde, and get a lot of particulate and mineral buildup in most situations.

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...have you ruled out the shutoffs by routing the hoses from them into a bucket or sink instead of the washer and checking after an hour or so ?

I thought that suggestion aboot the shutoffs having magically transformed into slowdowns was a good guess.  Those valves are often olde, and get a lot of particulate and mineral buildup in most situations.

They held for days over the weekend and all day today open ended into a bucket.  Maybe I had them on for a little - I guess that is the only possible explanation.  In any case, the inlet valve is cheap enough I can try it.  If it is still possessed, then it is off to the races again.

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I replaced my washing machine recently and if you listen to the new one run you would think it was possessed. It has sensors and it determines the optimal water level for your load. It adds some water, then runs for a couple seconds, adds some more water, etc...... I close the lid and when I come back the clothes are clean. That’s all that matters but the first time I ran it I thought for sure I was going to have to wrestle it back to the store for replacement.

Me too. For the first month I swore it wasn't working right.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

If you ever have the opportunity to replace the shut off valves, I recommend quarter turn ball valves. Very dependable and easy to use in this application. Here is a nice solution specifically designed for washing machines.

61tKs004XPL._SY355_.jpg

Does this work better that a couple vice-grips on the supply lines?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2018 at 12:26 PM, Longjohn said:

You think yours is smart. My new washer/dryer seems to do everything and even uses steam to refresh clothes and when tumble drying. Not only this but it comes with an app on my smartphone which allows the machine to speak directly to the engineer if it goes wrong.

That said, it keeps overcooking my scrambled eggs.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

You think yours is smart. My new washer/dryer seems to do everything and even uses steam to refresh clothes and when tumble drying. Not only this but it comes with an app on my smartphone which allows the machine to speak directly to the engineer if it goes wrong.

That said, it keeps overcooking my scrambled eggs.

I’ll bet it does a crappy job of folding your clothes too.