Can we play nicely?

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

No more butterfingers for you!

Well, after one or two I will gladly stop.  But I am not going cold turkey.  They will definitely make an appearance sometime in the next month, and I will do my best to respect their unique qualities that make them delicious to some.

• Hugs 1

43 minutes ago, FaQ said:

So, just click on the persons user name. That takes you to their profile page.  Click the little circular arrow to the right of their user name and you get a whole list of past and present name.   Easy Peasy. 

You know what's even easier?... One admin type going into the config settings for the  board and turning off name changes.  Easier, peasier.

• Whatever 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

42 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

You know what's even easier?... One admin type going into the config settings for the  board and turning off name changes.  Easier, peasier.

There are other forums that fit your needs.  This one allows name changes.  It is a small group and you can tell in one or two posts who the poster is.  The post count is another give away and proof is in the method I mentioned.  A number of people here enjoy the ability to change names and avatars

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, FaQ said:

There are other forums that fit your needs.  This one allows name changes.  It is a small group and you can tell in one or two posts who the poster is.  The post count is another give away and proof is in the method I mentioned.  A number of people here enjoy the ability to change names and avatars

This is also the forum where people are leaving at a faster rate than they arrive.  Have fun changing your name for your own amusement.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, Randomguy said:

I call bullshit, you fuckers focus on the tiny percentage of the negative instead of the massive portion of positive.  Stop that. 

This is true.  But many have left from that small amount of negativity.  Thi is a very small community.  It's clear new people are not coming.  Where will we be in 5 or 10 years?

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This is true.  But many have left from that small amount of negativity.  Thi is a very small community.  It's clear new people are not coming.  Where will we be in 5 or 10 years?

Only so much you can do, some people are overly sensitive and very thin skinned.  Those people should log off the internet.

But it's also a trend on all message boards and even social media in general, people are slowly starting to pull back from it.  Social media really hurt the forum community, and now people are getting tired of the abundance of social media trolls.  Instead of moving back to forum communities, many are just logging off for good.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Only so much you can do, some people are overly sensitive and very thin skinned.  Those people should log off the internet.

But it's also a trend on all message boards and even social media in general, people are slowly starting to pull back from it.  Social media really hurt the forum community, and now people are getting tired of the abundance of social media trolls.  Instead of moving back to forum communities, many are just logging off for good.

I think that will be my plan.  I rarely post anything on FB.  When I retire I'll probably go off the grid.  Maybe take a walk in the woods and never return.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I think that will be my plan.  I rarely post anything on FB.  When I retire I'll probably go off the grid.  Maybe take a walk in the woods and never return.  

I scaled my FB groups I am in way back, but I use it for laughs mainly, as you already know.

At Grandma's funeral, two of my cousins, who I have seen or talked to in decades actually seeked me out to make sure they told me how much the love my FB post and look forward to them.  I think those two were the only two that talked to me that day besides my parents.  But made me feel good to know that my post brighten someones day other than just my own.

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't know what a FB group is, so I suspect I don't belong to any.

99% of what I use it for is funny pics, and yes, I look forward to seeing yours.

Groups are what kind has taken over the forum world.  The issue is, it's easy for anyone to set one up, so they tend to explode and die quickly as the creator loses interest and trolls take over.

Why do people have to be thick skinned on the internet?  Aren't we all prepared to defer just a bit to the desires and likes of others just to be sociable?  In the real world, would you give a mild compliment about a new dress that the owner liked even if it wasn't something you'd pick for yourself?  Or would it be proper to march right up and say "that dress sucks".

Society lives and dies on a bit of give and take.  I'm not quite as sure of that when discussing the internet.  We are less immediately answerable here than in the real world for our actions.  A bit of kindness goes a long way.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Why do people have to be thick skinned on the internet?  Aren't we all prepared to defer just a bit to the desires and likes of others just to be sociable?  In the real world, would you give a mild compliment about a new dress that the owner liked even if it wasn't something you'd pick for yourself?  Or would it be proper to march right up and say "that dress sucks".

Society lives and dies on a bit of give and take.  I'm not quite as sure of that when discussing the internet.  We are less immediately answerable here than in the real world for our actions.  A bit of kindness goes a long way.

People are generally thin skinned anymore.  They are far to many looking for every opportunity to be offended by something.  Then you also always have the crowd that likes to try and provoke that group, the problem is, both groups have gotten large and loud enough that a lot of places on the internet are becoming unbearable.  Also, it's gotten to the point that often you can't have discussions in a lot of places on the internet because if you say something wrong (not meaning factually, just poorly worded) people are quick to jump down your throat and permanently label you.

So people just need to learn to just move on and not whine and complain about every damn little thing they don't agree with.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

One of the few good things about growing old.  I don't really give a shit anymore.   :)

Yeap, though even when I was young, I didn't give much of a shit.  Now I only give a shit when I absolutely have to, trying to teach my son that and it's tough.  Though that is where his aspergers really comes through, things like someone cutting in line at school or something makes him absolutely lose his shit.

His teacher kept telling him "Are you getting paid to deal with it, if you are not tell someone who is and let them deal with it."  My son finally looked at her and said "Start paying me."  I worry about that kid, he's starting to turn into a mini me with less self control.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I guess I'm old then.

There is so little I care about.

I do try to be a decent person to others.

I try to avoid a lot of other people so I don't have to care about being a decent person.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I’ve asked myself that question many times. I cannot say when or how my fascination with our group will wane. I love these people. And without this forum, our connection disappears. Leaving FB was a tough decision because it was another place to stay in touch. As with any relationship, I suppose a separation is inevitable and natural.

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I think that almost all my living friends are here.  That's assuming that you are real live people and not just some artifact drifting through my world.  Not that it would matter of course.  Imaginary friends matter too.

It has been proven that I am not a ?