Food that you fantasize--while riding long & hard

shootingstar

Today, it was the French lentil bean and turkey soup as I was close to home and I had 2/3's way during bike ride when we stopped at a market.  And it wasn't long bike ride. Am just outta shape and I was gettin' tired & slightly cold. Normally I don't get excited by lentil soup, but this shop does a good job. I included a small thin slice of roasted lamb on side for this lunch.

On other much longer bike ride in hot weather, it's a sandwich with a nice cold drink. (Fruit juice since I don't drink energy drinks.)

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I once smelled Krispy Creme donuts wafting across the valley as I climbed a long, steep road, shattered after a 70+ mile ride. The donut shop had closed a few years prior. 

Love that hallucination. <_< 

Dearie fantasizes and hopes for ….a Dairy Queen Blizzard when it's a long, hot 100-150 km. ride. He has triumphantly told me occasionally during especially his cross-continental touring rides.  Something to be said for donut and DQ shops in the middle of nowhere.

Like dearie...but a Smoothie or "real" milkshake. Once on the end of a long ride I wanted to stop at a roadside stand. I had been by a couple days before. This time it was torn down. Gone. "Progress" my *ss. Most times it is a Burgerville shake. In season they mix up real fruit shakes. Mmmmm...good

• Heart 2

The last organized ride I did they offered an alternate route at one point and I decided to try it. I must have been the only one to take it. Beautiful scenery but I never saw another rider. It must have been a longer route than the main one because I was ten miles over the distance for the lunch stop. I was climbing a long hill and I could smell awesome smells. It was all Amish country with very few farms so I thought I was imagining it. Almost to the top of the hill was an Amish stand where they were selling freshly made donuts, pies, cinnamon rolls, fruits, sweet corn, hot coffee, and cakes of all kinds. There were so many cars parked there that there was no more space to park and people were parking on the road. My stomach told me I had missed the lunch stop so I better eat there. I don’t remember exactly what I bought but I pigged out and it was all good.

A mile or so further and my route joined up with the main route and there was our lunch stop all set up. I ate again but wasn’t very hungry. 

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The last organized ride I did they offered an alternate route

I did the Altoona-> State College -> Altoona MS150 once,  and opted for the 100 mile option for the first day. But the road markings got confusing, and before we knew it, we we following the signs for the next day’s ride back to Altoona. So I put the hammer down and dragged my buddy back to Penn State, putting in 110 miles for the day and missing the last feed stop, which was famous for it’s homemade cookies. ? So we hightailed it to the Penn State Creamery for ice cream.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I don’t really crave food while I’m riding. That just makes me more hungry. The closest I get is the Calamus Half Century has the best monster cookies ever! I usually skip the first SAG, then have a cookie at the last 2. 
We do a 75 mile ride to Ord for Scratchtoberfest. Scratchtown Brewery has their anniversary celebration the week after Labor Day. We ride up in the morning and usually get there as things are getting going. They make a few microbrews just for the day. The miles allow you to enjoy with relative impunity. 
Tuesday group rides we discuss where we are going after the ride, but hardly fantasize. 
For me, one of the great things about riding is just being in the moment. Not worrying about food or other items.