The Wedding Invite

petitepedal

Got a wedding invite in the mail yesterday...

My cousins son..I am pretty sure he is in his 30's.. and his future bride...I am not sure of her age but I am guessing a bit younger...

Invites sure have changed since the olden days of  the added paper and RSVP cards and envelopes...I got sent to a web page...

From there I found their story of true love....They met via "Catholic Match" or Catholic Singles :blink: She is originally from MN but has been living and working in TX... According the the website...they connected in January of 2019 and met on St. Patrick's Day of 2019... The wedding is in May.

As a fellow Catholic...although a liberal one...I found it interesting that she is a follower of the Tridentine Mass ....the old Latin Mass that more or less ended in 1962 with Vatican II....  That wedding is gonna be a step way back for this liberal girl :whistle:  I could shock the priest :P

Online gift registry includes cash donations for their honeymoon, Pottery Barn and Macys  :blink:  I may opt for a simple tea set and some tea source tea :nodhead:  Some of their gifts run in the hundreds...several hundreds....who gets dish sets anymore :dontknow: for a guy I met all for 10 minutes.... Anyway...I have til May to figure that one out...

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

My cousins son..I am pretty sure he is in his 30's.. and his future bride...I am not sure of her age but I am guessing a bit younger...

Invites sure have changed since the olden days of  the added paper and RSVP cards and envelopes...I got sent to a web page...

From there I found their story of true love....They met via "Catholic Match" or Catholic Singles :blink: She is originally from MN but has been living and working in TX... According the the website...they connected in January of 2019 and met on St. Patrick's Day of 2019... The wedding is in May.

As a fellow Catholic...although a liberal one...I found it interesting that she is a follower of the Tridentine Mass ....the old Latin Mass that more or less ended in 1962 with Vatican II....  That wedding is gonna be a step way back for this liberal girl :whistle:  I could shock the priest :P

Online gift registry includes cash donations for their honeymoon, Pottery Barn and Macys  :blink:  I may opt for a simple tea set and some tea source tea :nodhead:  Some of their gifts run in the hundreds...several hundreds....who gets dish sets anymore :dontknow: for a guy I met all for 10 minutes.... Anyway...I have til May to figure that one out...

Maybe they want good, legal sex.  Sorry for this joke.  It does seem shotgun engagement.

I don't mind if engaged couple list things they want.  But they really should list stuff under $100.00 too.  I hate it when they outright ask for cash.  

Yea, that expensive dish set ask is a bit weird. They haven't even lived together (or much)  so they don't even know how they entertain guests or she has overly romantic ideas of entertainment. 

When my  niece was getting married @ 31 yrs.,  (after living with her BF for 7  yrs. or something like that), I gifted them 2 artisan ceramic wine goblets, an acrylic painting I did, a bottle of wine and a gift certificate at a major dept. store.  Since I've known her since she was a baby and I care about her, this is why I was generous.

I could easily gift them 3 or 4 sets of dishes with all the serving dishes...from the ones my mom and I saved grocery store stamps to buy piece by piece...to any number of sets from residents at work...Oh and they plan to go to Italy for their honeymoon....I don't know what she does for a living...but I believe he is an Engineer of some kind..and he coaches on the side..They probably make way more than I do!! 

My wife and I were one time invited to a wedding of the parents of one of the students in my wife's grade 11 home room.  They had decided to get married on the 20th anniversary of them moving in together.  On the wedding invitation, handwritten was  "*greenback prefered*(sp)

When my cousin got married after she had lived on her own for several years and they really didn't need anything, asked each guest for a bottle of red and bottle of white wines to help start their wine cellar, which I thought was a brilliant idea

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

The wine option sounds great ...but then...I like wine... Yeah anyone who has been out of college and working for a few years...should have a lot of the basics...Some friends of my asked for donations to habitat for humanity...cos they both owned houses!!

Yea, those donation ask is a great idea..  :) 

My daughter had a farm registry where they are setting up a hobby farm, so people paid for chicken coops, chickens, pigs, goats etc.  

My sister was disappointed she could not bring a live chicken to the wedding and my brother loved the fact he basically bought them bacon for a wedding present

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Getting a wedding invite these days is like a court summons.  The fines can be extreme. 

Even worse, is someone asking you to be in their wedding.  In that case, you are likely in for several hundred dollars.  Wedding gift, bridesmaid gift, a dress you must buy that you will never wear again, and the more obligatory parties and expenses.  For the affluent, this is not a big deal.  For the majority of us, this is a huge financial hit that many of us can not afford.   Sometimes, brides lose their mind a bit when it is wedding time.  Weddings are costing tens of thousands.  It makes zero sense. for the bulk of people paying for this.  

My niece got married recently.  She and her husband to be entered into a binding contract for their wedding and didn't realize what they were doing.   They tried to get out of it, and told their parents that the country club would not let them terminate the contract. It was a really fancy wedding.  The catered food was fantastic.  Slightly sad though, cause in the end they could not afford it.  They went into major debt for one day of fun.   

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Getting a wedding invite these days is like a court summons.  The fines can be extreme. 

Even worse, is someone asking you to be in their wedding.  In that case, you are likely in for several hundred dollars.  Wedding gift, bridesmaid gift, a dress you must buy that you will never wear again, and the more obligatory parties and expenses.  For the affluent, this is not a big deal.  For the majority of us, this is a huge financial hit that many of us can not afford.   Sometimes, brides lose their mind a bit when it is wedding time.  Weddings are costing tens of thousands.  It makes zero sense. for the bulk of people paying for this.  

My niece got married recently.  She and her husband to be entered into a binding contract for their wedding and didn't realize what they were doing.   They tried to get out of it, and told their parents that the country club would not let them terminate the contract. It was a really fancy wedding.  The catered food was fantastic.  Slightly sad though, cause in the end they could not afford it.  They went into major debt for one day of fun.   

Well, for many of the women here in forum who participate, the days of maid of honour and bridesmaid, are probably over.  Last time I was a bridesmaid was over 40 yrs. ago. :whistle: I guess it would be mother of the bride or groom or somethin' if one had a young 'un.

I should have kept the royal blue bridesmaid dress, so I can join up the annual promo bike ride in late spring locally....gals wear prom/party dresses, etc. on bikes and guys in whatever vest/jackets. Make that suggestion DH to any complaining bridesmaid ...and you lead the bike ride.

For people who I care and know well, I enjoy attending weddings.  I'm curious how the event is put together.....and the food that's served. :)  My niece still refers to her wedding dress several years later, by comparing against an actress in a movie...actually she tweeted it out todaY....which means she's happy in her marriage.  

You want jsharr and me to go check her out if she is here in Texas?? 
Personally if I really don't know the people, then they get the bargain bin gifts.. a few bucks ($5) and something you completely would never want. I just go for the food and call it a day while avoiding them completely. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Well, for many of the women here in forum who participate, the days of maid of honour and bridesmaid, are probably over.  Last time I was a bridesmaid was over 40 yrs. ago. :whistle: I guess it would be mother of the bride or groom or somethin' if one had a young 'un.

I should have kept the royal blue bridesmaid dress, so I can join up the annual promo bike ride in late spring locally....gals wear prom/party dresses, etc. on bikes and guys in whatever vest/jackets. Make that suggestion DH to any complaining bridesmaid ...and you lead the bike ride.

For people who I care and know well, I enjoy attending weddings.  I'm curious how the event is put together.....and the food that's served. :)  My niece still refers to her wedding dress several years later, by comparing against an actress in a movie...actually she tweeted it out todaY....which means she's happy in her marriage.  

My daughters will be a mere 50 people.  It will be at a nice hotel in Niagara on the Lake and the service will be conducted by an officient as they wanted a non-religious marriage.  The ceremony and dinner, wedding dress and bar will be under $6500.  That is my bill.  The grooms mother is picking up the bill for flowers and special desserts she has to have.  His father is picking up the airfare to Italy, I have booked their rooms on Marriott points.   Our gift to them is paying off their student loans.  I paid for her law degree and second degree, she borrowed for the third. :) 

At the end of the day, it is a pretty efficient little wedding but still, first class and not a lot of money. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I have been my share of bridesmaids...mostly several hundred dollars for a cheaply made dress you would never wear again..The one time it had possibilities to be worn again...I had lost a lot of weight between ordering and the actual wedding. The store ordered a 14 cos I was snug in a 12 and too many people say they are going to lose weight and don't....I was a size 8 by the time of the wedding... So although I looked fine for the wedding the dress was obviously too large  with lots of extra tucks...and it still cost a fortune.

9 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Please try to enjoy it! Having been an altar boy and choir boy for a several years in the Latin Mass from about 1959 to 1965, when the first actual non-Latin Mass finally occurred in the USA, I'm not surprised if anyone likes the Latin format.  This is not the place for religion promoting or bashing and I'm an Easter-Christmas Catholic so I'm neither a missionary or a critic, but I liked the Latin Mass better, myself!

17 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Go for the cake and punch!!:whistle: Yes, I am really bad about these sorts of things.

Lol, you really are old school. They don’t do that anymore. I grew up with everyone getting married in the church. After they were pronounced man and wife everyone would proceed to the church fellowship hall (usually in the basement of the church) where they could drink punch and eat cookies. The wedding party stayed in the church for a short time while the photographer took pictures. Then they joined everyone else and the couple cut the cake and passed out slices. The whole deal was over in less than two hours and the couple was on their way to their honeymoon.

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Well having just paid for a wedding I can attest so much of this to be true. Also having your broke ass son in the wedding means I’m renting two tuxes which can be as much as a dress at $200. 

To their credit, it was a long engagement and we put together a budget of how much they needed and how much they would need for us to pay.  By us it was initially both sets of parents but his parents opted to have their own “Indian Wedding” so their contribution went to a wedding neither of the kids wanted... So we ended up picking up the tab for the main wedding.  They stayed within budget for the wedding but there was a crap ton of unexpected expenses that came up.  

We plunked down pretty close to $15G for the wedding and it was nice but not over the top by any means.