Proper order for names in an email

Square Wheels

I would typically do it by seniority, unless the email correspondence really relates more to one of the people.  In that case, I would  address it to them, and just cc the others.    For example, if the junior person is the one working on a document and I have comments on that document, I'd send it to them and copy others who may also be reviewing.

If it's a long list of people and I'm using the list more than once, I tend to just use alphabetical order. 

• Heart 4

If I'm sending to my boss, and another colleague. I'll address it as Boss, colleague,. If I'm sending to several people, I address it All, regardless of position.

Speaking of addressing emails. What I don't like is this. When someone sends an email to multiple people and asks a question to do something, but no on specifically is addressed.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

If I'm sending to my boss, and another colleague. I'll address it as Boss, colleague,. If I'm sending to several people, I address it All, regardless of position.

Technically both are my boss, the male is the boss of all.

I often send an email to both of them.

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Speaking of addressing emails. What I don't like is this. When someone sends an email to multiple people and asks a question to do something, but no on specifically is addressed.

I've been guilty of that in the past and got tired of no responses.  Now I either ask all to reply (if it's a small group) or list the person(s) I want to reply.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

When addressing an email to the Medical Director and female associate Medical Director should I list in order by seniority / position or gender?

I'd think you would just go by which ass you want to kiss the most.  Seems simple enough. 

Why is this difficult?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Technically both are my boss, the male is the boss of all.

I often send an email to both of them.

I've been guilty of that in the past and got tired of no responses.  Now I either ask all to reply (if it's a small group) or list the person(s) I want to reply.

If I want one person in particular to take action on an email, I address it to them and copy the others.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I would typically do it by seniority, unless the email correspondence really relates more to one of the people.  In that case, I would  address it to them, and just cc the others.    For example, if the junior person is the one working on a document and I have comments on that document, I'd send it to them and copy others who may also be reviewing.

If it's a long list of people and I'm using the list more than once, I tend to just use alphabetical order. 

I do it the same way--- most senior person first unless the others are really just being cc'ed

3 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

I put the names in the order I remember them. 

I do some of this too.

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My Medical Director is male.
We recently hired two associate Medical Directors that report to him.  One male, one female.
When addressing an email to the Medical Director and female associate Medical Director should I list in order by seniority / position or gender?  I have been listing the female Director fist.

Can you vary it so that, say, on even numbered days of the month you list the female first and on odd the male first?

I have a list of people to whom I send a fantasy football advice letter on Tuesdays and I mix the order of the names each time.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My Medical Director is male.
We recently hired two associate Medical Directors that report to him.  One male, one female.
When addressing an email to the Medical Director and female associate Medical Director should I list in order by seniority / position or gender?  I have been listing the female Director fist.

My natural instinct for equity yet rank, in email, I would  Medical Dir., then Associate Med. Dir.

Unless one is using person's last name...in terms of alphabet order/priority??

10 hours ago, Zackny said:

You think too much

Yeah this ^^^   @Square Wheels I had email distribution lists for many emails. I let Outlook sort the list.  As long as the people who needed the email were included, I was done.  And if they got added individually last, it didn't matter.  

I always sent emails with specific expectations about who needed to do what.   

It's the salutation, not which email comes first.

Do I say "Bob and Mary, please give me your feedback..." or , "Mary and Bob, please give me your feedback..."

In that example, Bob is the male boss, Mary is the female subordinate.

Do I address by position or gender first?

Oh yeah, neither of them would care if I asked.

If the email is just to 2 people...  why not skip the salutation?

Please give me your feedback?  

Yeah.. I know you want to be more personal.  Then I'd go with.   Bob and Mary; 

And the next email,   Mary and Bob,

I don't think it matters that much...  but that's me.

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

I do it the same way--- most senior person first unless the others are really just being cc'ed

I do some of this too.

We’re talking how we address the body of the email, not the order in the “To:” line, correct?

Because it doesn’t matter the order of the adressees in the “To:” line, but definitely by seniority in the body of the email.