Here's another thing

donkpow

44 minutes ago, donkpow said:

There is speculation that hospitals are filling their beds with patients under the guise of COVID infection in order to increase profits.

Speculation or BS?  I vote the latter.  Put this in the same category as the sound stage where the moon landings were filmed.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, dennis said:

A friend of mine is a nurse at a big hospital. The hospital is losing money so they cut his 401K contribution to zero and gave him a $75 GC to Olive Garden. He'll get one next year too.

Our hospital just announced they are at capacity.

But, luckily, the US healthcare system is about the best in the world now, so these hiccups can't last long.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

The hoopleheads still believe that hospitals make extra money when they report death by COVID 

This year has been miserable. My wife is now afraid to answer phone calls from relatives because she has lost five family members this year. Her mom, two aunts and three uncles, from both her mom and dad's side. All were in their 70s or 80s. And not one of them was diagnosed with COVID. All passed from heart problems, cancer and old age stuff.

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, team scooter said:

This year has been miserable. My wife is now afraid to answer phone calls from relatives because she has lost five family members this year. Her mom, two aunts and three uncles, from both her mom and dad's side. All were in their 70s or 80s. And not one of them was diagnosed with COVID. All passed from heart problems, cancer and old age stuff.

I think we all run into these "waves" of things - good or bad - and it looks like your wife is in the "parent's generation dying off" one :(  That started for me a few years ago with my MiL dying, and then last year with my father dying, and now others in that orbit starting to get into scary health situations.  None COVID - mostly heart, cancer, or similar awfulness - but as my FiL is in the hospital since Thanksgiving, I've been hearing the war stories of a "normal" hospital strained to near breaking by the addition of the COVID folks.  2020 is a tough year for anyone who has to interact with a hospital - from a birth, to a simple bone break, to heart attacks or cancer.

• Heart 2

On 12/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, team scooter said:

This was my family last year.  My mom lost four siblings last year, and two in-laws...., all from various old age stuff.  But that is bound to happen I guess when there were 12 sublings alive and the youngest was 78.  They have not lost anyone else in 2020.(knock on wood)

On 12/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, donkpow said:

There is speculation that hospitals are filling their beds with patients under the guise of COVID infection in order to increase profits.

Healthcare as a for-profit field is a big problem in my eyes.   Preying on the sick is a despicable practice, isn't it?

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Healthcare as a for-profit field is a big problem in my eyes.   Preying on the sick is a despicable practice, isn't it?

Sadly hospitals take the biggest media hit for being profiteers.  Sure, of the 16+thousand people in my hospital, I suspect there are dozens who make millions, our president makes about 4.5.  The other 16 thousand make an honest living, and most of us work really hard.

Where most of your healthcare money goes it to device manufacturers, our suppliers, and mostly to big pharma.  They make insane amounts of money.  Many billions every year.  They are for profit. 

Most hospitals are nonprofit. 

23 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Most hospitals are nonprofit. 

My favorite hospital was always nonprofit. They were great. I was born there, had hip repaired there, always got stitched up there. They sold to a for profit hospital that was running it into the ground. They in turn sold it to another for profit hospital system who is doing a lot better. It is where I coded after a common hernia surgery and where they treated my wife before putting her on hospice. They are not near as good as they once were.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't think we're pretending.  

During the first wave, I stopped paying attention after we got a half billion behind.  We'll be catching up for a while.  The next wave could close some hospitals.

It's all fake! You should listen to these folks who barely passed basic science in high school. You know, those deep thinkers.