Does this ever work on you?

Scrapr

9 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I seldom pick up on an unknown number. If important they will leave a voice mail.

I only pick up because I get a few work calls. It will probably take another year or 2 before those stop

• Heart 1

My number comes up as a blocked number, so it is not unusual for it to be not answered when I call.  If I dont mind them having my number I will leave a call back number, if I dont want them have it, I leave a message telling them I will call back or I just call and call until they answer

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I got a call from an 800 number yesterday. They left a voicemail wanting me to return my heart monitor. How fast do they think the US Postal service is? I sent it out on Monday the 28th of June. My last day to use it was Friday the 25th.

By stressing you out they are attempting to drum up business.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I don’t answer a phone unless I recognize the number. And if so recognize it, most likely it’s already programmed in. Beyond that, leave a message. 

It's good policy.  I usually follow this.  But sometimes curiousity gets the best of me.  I'll give them my checking account and routing numbers and even my Visa -- but I refuse to give them my social security number.  I mean, what kind of numbskull do they think I am??

3 hours ago, groupw said:

I answer calls on my work cell, because I never know. Usually just hang up. One time a guy called me back. He said "did you just hang up on me?" I replied, "I don't know. Did it sound like this?" (click)

I have a company phone as well and do get frequent calls from alarm company monitoring centers so I generally answer but every once in a while it’s a cold call from some firmtryung to sell me something. 

I have one retail location in Ukiah CA and had to hire a local alarm firm.  The other day I got a call from Ukiah so figured it was that alarm company so answered.  It was some security related vendor who was cold calling me and for some reason the number came up from there.

My response must have unnerved them as after they said who they were & what they were peddling they apologized for calling and hung up…

• Awesome 1

A few years before Dad passed and in a better frame of mind, he would have fun with them. One time he let a lady go through her entire spiel. At the end he said he was real interested but wanted to think about it. Could he get her home number so he could call her back when he decided. 
She was taken aback and said she couldn’t give him that information. 
Dad: what’s the matter don’t you trust me?

Lady: it’s not that, but…,

Dad: we’ll I thought we had a good relationship. I trust you. I just want to talk to you directly. 

Lady:I know….. I just don’t think that…

Dad: well you think about it. If you are ready to give me your number, call me back. 

• Haha 1

Now that I'm retired...  If I receive a call that doesn't match one of my contacts, I don't answer.  If they don't leave a message, it's blocked.

If I'm expecting a call, from someone not in my contacts, I'll answer.   They get several seconds to identify themselves, if they fail that test... click, and blocked.

When I worked... I needed to answer all of the calls.  Most were business, some were spam, but not as many spam calls that I receive now.

• Heart 1

I don’t know why my wife keeps answering.  Once someone said they were Comcast and offered her a great rate after a long time on the phone, but then he blew it  by asking her to go buy several visa gift cards. So at that point all their hard work and time spent fell apart. 

• Heart 1