Pfizer COVID Booster Shot scheduled for Monday!

MickinMD

My 2nd Pfizer shot was on March 24th and I'm over 65 and diabetic so I qualify for the 6-month booster.

I tried online, to make an appointment for the booster at the Walgreen's pharmacy where I got the other two COVID shots but the software failed me five times. I think the appointment time and date I selected was gone by the time I filled out or checked 4 pages of info then clicked "submit."

So, yesterday, I walked into that Walgreens and asked to make the appointment at the pharmacy counter.  By the time the pharmacy assistant got the info in, the date selected was gone.  So, we tried 1 pm, Monday 10/4 and that worked.

I'm disappointed that, instead of a booster, a new vaccine that's aimed at the Delta Variant and other variants isn't available,  The flu shot I'll get on Oct. 21st along with my annual physical is aimed the expected major flu strains for the coming season.  Too bad they haven't gotten that far with the COVID vaccinations.

• Heart 3

From the 10 years I spent working for a large Pharma company, I learned a lot about the business and the process.  "Tweeking" drugs is not an easy task if the they fall outside the parameters of "bio equivalent" or the purpose changes.  That all takes time, especially now that Pfizer's are fully approved.  If a diabetes drug was found to cure cancer, they can't just use it to do so.  It has to go through the whole process of approval and testing. 

Good that you are eligible and scheduled.  You will still be better protected and that is all we hope for at the moment. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

So, yesterday, I walked into that Walgreens and asked to make the appointment at the pharmacy counter. 

Surprised you weren’t simply given the shot on site, tbh.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm disappointed that, instead of a booster, a new vaccine that's aimed at the Delta Variant and other variants isn't available

The vaccine is aimed at the spike protein of the delta variant. That hasn’t changed. It’s just that this version of the virus is replicating faster than before, a) making viral loads in unvaccinated people much higher, and b) making vaccinated people somewhat more susceptible to “break through” illness. But as the vaccine has always been designed to minimize illness symptoms, I personally don’t see too much of a change in thinking about the vaccine than before. 

I’ll get my third shot on Tuesday, a full 9 months after my second. I got my flu shot this week. And I’ll be eligible for my first shingles vaccine the next time I am at my PCP. Oh, the joys of being 50 now!

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

From the 10 years I spent working for a large Pharma company, I learned a lot about the business and the process.  "Tweeking" drugs is not an easy task if the they fall outside the parameters of "bio equivalent" or the purpose changes.  That all takes time, especially now that Pfizer's are fully approved.  If a diabetes drug was found to cure cancer, they can't just use it to do so.  It has to go through the whole process of approval and testing. 

Good that you are eligible and scheduled.  You will still be better protected and that is all we hope for at the moment. 

And yet the Delta variant has been out longer than it took Pfizer and Moderna to develop the first mRNA COVID vaccines.  They've already started working on mRNA flu vaccines that have 3 or more variants.  What's taking so long on multi-variant COVID vaccines?

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

And yet the Delta variant has been out longer than it took Pfizer and Moderna to develop the first mRNA COVID vaccines.  They've already started working on mRNA flu vaccines that have 3 or more variants.  What's taking so long on multi-variant COVID vaccines?

What would you do differently? The target protein is the same.

I'm going in to Walgreens in about 2 hours for my booster. It's a couple days early but what the hell. Flu shot too. 

Sara with an H got her booster & flu yesterday. She says she always feels bad after flu shots. And she was on the couch last night feeling poorly. Woke up this am & playing pickleball right now

I hope I don't have side effects. Home football game tomorrow. Huck the Fuskies

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I'm going in to Walgreens in about 2 hours for my booster. It's a couple days early but what the hell. Flu shot too. 

Sara with an H got her booster & flu yesterday. She says she always feels bad after flu shots. And she was on the couch last night feeling poorly. Woke up this am & playing pickleball right now

I hope I don't have side effects. Home football game tomorrow. Huck the Fuskies

I heard a doctor in Canada say not to take booster and flu shots the same day. The possible challenge, is figuring if there are negative symtoms, what caused it?

4 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I hope I don't have side effects.

Well, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that whatever side effects you may have had with the original vaccine shots are probably what you can expect this time.  It's the same product.  I had nothing but a sore arm, so I am assuming that is what I will experience with the booster as well.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Well, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that whatever side effects you may have had with the original vaccine shots are probably what you can expect this time.  It's the same product.  I had nothing but a sore arm, so I am assuming that is what I will experience with the booster as well.

That was my experience.  My arm was more sore but the other symptoms were barely noticeable. 

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

The began work on the mRNA vaccine in 2008 or earlier.  It has a direct trail of research all the way back to SARs and MERs.  The vaccine is just a delivery system.  It only needs a bit of fine tuning for the specific covid.  That's why a vaccination system that actually took a long time to develop gets tagged with the too fast meme.  As posted above, the vaccine works just fine one the darwin variant.  It's the unvaccinated and the very aggressive spread of delta due to higher virus loads transmitted that make it so dangerous.  If we had 100% vaccination the R0 would be will under 1 and the virus would fade away or become a small problem just like SARs and MERs

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Well, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that whatever side effects you may have had with the original vaccine shots are probably what you can expect this time.  It's the same product. 

I think the concern people have is that if they have active antibodies already, will they mount a more vigorous reaction to the vaccine. Same way some people reported more side effects to shot 2 than 1.

I had very mild side effects to shot 1 and two, simply some arm soreness. I expect anything from that to fatigue and malaise and low grade fever for a day or few with shot 3. We’ll see.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think the concern people have is that if they have active antibodies already, will they mount a more vigorous reaction to the vaccine. Same way some people reported more side effects to shot 2 than 1.

I had very mild side effects to shot 1 and two, simply some arm soreness. I expect anything from that to fatigue and malaise and low grade fever for a day or few with shot 3. We’ll see.

Yeah, shot 1 (Moderna), just sore arm.  Shot 2, sore arm, but also tired the whole next day.  So, shot 3 seems like it might mean more fatigue, but I have to wait until Dec/Jan so we'll see what all those "early adopters" go through first :D

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, shot 1 (Moderna), just sore arm.  Shot 2, sore arm, but also tired the whole next day.  So, shot 3 seems like it might mean more fatigue, but I have to wait until Dec/Jan so we'll see what all those "early adopters" go through first :D

Moderna 3rd shot hasn't been approved yet or I'd already be getting one.  Only Pfizer has approval so far.  DH must have a friendly doctor.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’d guess you could walk into any pharmacy and request one and get it with no questions asked.

I don't know about a pharmacy, but at the NYS vaccine centers, they asked for ID and input the data into the state database. 

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was Moderna vaccinated.  I have to see my doc on an unrelated matter today.  I'll have to ask her if it's possible to get a third shot of that vaccine in CT prior to FDA approval.  I suspect that at 75 I'm in an authorized group and it's been over 6 months since the second shot.

I went in and asked for it because of heart disease. I will schedule tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was Moderna vaccinated.  I have to see my doc on an unrelated matter today.  I'll have to ask her if it's possible to get a third shot of that vaccine in CT prior to FDA approval.  I suspect that at 75 I'm in an authorized group and it's been over 6 months since the second shot.

I haven't seen much data on Moderna but Pfizer's tax is now showing in tests,  a 50% reduction in efficacy after 6 months.   I suspect annual vaccines will be the norm. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I suspect annual vaccines will be the norm. 

Which makes me wonder if there is an easy integration with a flu shot, so you cover multiple vax needs in a single shot?

And any news on a nose mist type of vax for the needle fearful? How hard is it to adapt it to the different method of delivery?

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Which makes me wonder if there is an easy integration with a flu shot, so you cover multiple vax needs in a single shot?

And any news on a nose mist type of vax for the needle fearful? How hard is it to adapt it to the different method of delivery?

Intranasal works exceptionally well for some drug types.  I suspect though, every delivery method is being explored by all of the research Pharma companies right now. 

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

DrMick has all new stuff.  You want we should keep your name on the distribution list?

No.  If I get new stuff, I will have to get rid of my old stuff, and that sounds a lot like work.    :(

When people come into my house for the first time, I always prepare them by saying, "Get ready.  It's the 1970's all over again!"  :D