Just reading through some pre-trumpian era threads here.

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

People sure were civilized back then.  Maybe so much less aware and offended. :) 

Can the world ever go back to that? 

I'm offended that you even brought this up :D

It's going to be hard to put everything back into that box.

Not possible.  There are extremists on the right and the left who spend much of their time demonizing others.  They are backed by big money and probably forces external to this country who see an opportunity to damage this country through divisiveness.  IMO the middle of the roaders have little power or chance to bring this to an end.  Advances in technology, massive changes in the economy and climate all add to this.

"May you live in interesting times" really is a curse.

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Buzz Kill said:

Not when there are random MAGA posts tossed in for no apparent reason?

But, darn, I do miss the P&R section specifically for those sorts of threads :D

It's not just the MAGA's

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Buzz Kill said:

It is, though, an interesting pre- and post- demarcation.

This is an example of how we are propagandized into believing what we want to see is true.

It is and has been for some decades now from both sides.  The pendulum swings back and forth but there is no getting away from it.

• Heart 1

While the Trumpian era has had an outsized influence (normalization of hatred and intolerance), don't discount  the impact of a global pandemic killing millions and upending everything about social interaction.  Reality becoming an option hasn't helped much.  There's a lot of things at work.  I think a true study of the phenomenon would have to happen outside of North America for comparison's sake.

Pendulums swing.  I think we're nearing the apex.  I hope.

• Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Has not!  That's offensive and a gross microagression against my perception of reality, which is based on true facts directly from the internets.  Now, apologize to all my ancestors and pay me many reparations!!!

;)

image.png.bde869eb5c3f2c729ac5fa789d37e618.png

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

The anonymity of the internet has made us forget to be civil.  Not sure when so many of us, myself included, became so self entitled.  Generation K (Karen) will be the end of us.

I think it's worse than that.  In person relationships seem to be failing as well.  This last week I was reading a number of articles examining the latest trend in NASCAR.......dumping other drivers to get ahead with little thought of the consequences.  The complaints there were that there used to be some sort of honor among professional drivers........but the old guys are retiring.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

The anonymity of the internet has made us forget to be civil.  Not sure when so many of us, myself included, became so self entitled.  Generation K (Karen) will be the end of us.

Anonymity as well as some people who appear to post their real name but it's not their real name after all.

Last wk., I was in a online thread with primarily Canadians. I found it disappointing their language was becoming....sorry, American diviseness, they mentioned partisan, left right. etc. ad naseum.  Frankly I never spent time defining that stuff because many problems under political debate  and  later, better or worse solutions, don't have a political lens forever. Especially after the decision is implemented ,  it become part of how things are done which could be good or just awful bad / subpar.

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Anonymity as well as some people who appear to post their real name but it's not their real name after all.

Last wk., I was in a online thread with primarily Canadians. I found it disappointing their language was becoming....sorry, American diviseness, they mentioned partisan, left right. etc. ad naseum.  Frankly I never spent time defining that stuff because many problems under political debate  and  later, better or worse solutions, don't have a political lens forever. Especially after the decision is implemented ,  it become part of how things are done which could be good or just awful bad / subpar.

The world is being segmented and it isn't an accident or a conspiracy. 

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The world is being segmented and it isn't an accident or a conspiracy. 

At the same time, there have been  sufficient disagreements but not expressed for decades because some people just didn't express until maybe recently.

For instance, what Jennifer Anniston is saying how much more "senisitive" today's younger audience is re some Friends' shows.

Honest, I never watched the show....because I thought at that time (which was over 15 yrs. ago when it last aired or something like that), here is a show in NYC setting and all characters / "friends"  white?  How narrow. So I just didn't bother watching the show. It didn't reflect my world in Toronto nor VAncouver. And not now.

Big Bang Theory was better.

We need to go WAY back before American society becomes civilized as it was when people didn't have to worry if their preteen kids walked to the park to play, weren't afraid to outside their homes at night, didn't have to have a police officers stationed all day at good-income area public schools, didn't have 5 public school shootings per month, etc.

This isn't aimed at any one political party, they've all gone downhill as much as American Society has.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We need to go WAY back before American society becomes civilized as it was when people didn't have to worry if their preteen kids walked to the park to play, weren't afraid to outside their homes at night, didn't have to have a police officers stationed all day at good-income area public schools, didn't have 5 public school shootings per month, etc.

This isn't aimed at any one political party, they've all gone downhill as much as American Society has.

I agree more public/private school shootings frequency vs. 3-4 decades ago.

However on pedaphiles back then (when children were freer to roam):  I'm sure it was rampant but there weren't mechanisms to report without disbelief and the law to lay charges.

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

At the same time, there have been  sufficient disagreements but not expressed for decades because some people just didn't express until maybe recently.

For instance, what Jennifer Anniston is saying how much more "senisitive" today's younger audience is re some Friends' shows.

Honest, I never watched the show....because I thought at that time (which was over 15 yrs. ago when it last aired or something like that), here is a show in NYC setting and all characters / "friends"  white?  How narrow. So I just didn't bother watching the show. It didn't reflect my world in Toronto nor VAncouver. And not now.

Big Bang Theory was better.

In the context of the times, friends was alright.  By today's standard, less so but you can't judge the past with current trends and ideologies. Imagine what will be said about the 20's in the 50's!  They won't be kind to us. 

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In the context of the times, friends was alright.  By today's standard, less so but you can't judge the past with current trends and ideologies. Imagine what will be said about the 20's in the 50's!  They won't be kind to us. 

No, "Friends" was not long ago. There were already back then ...millions of non-white friends in North America, mixing with others in social groups. 

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No, "Friends" was not long ago. There were already back then ...millions of non-white friends in North America, mixing with others in social groups. 

It was 30 years ago the cast was thrown together.  Socially, that is a generation.  A lot of progressiveness happens in 30 years. I am not saying it was an accurate representation of society but it is for a big segment of the US and Canada at the time.  Not everyone grows up in a big city. 

• Hugs 1