Miley and Taylor!

Razors Edge

1 minute ago, smudge said:

I don't like Luke's cover of her song

I'm pretty wary of any cover.  I don't mind covers done at a concert or by a cover band, but as a "commercial" release, I generally just like the original.  I hear a Cure cover the other day and it just made me want to hear the original. Same with the Chapman cover. Same with most :dontknow:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm pretty wary of any cover.  I don't mind covers done at a concert or by a cover band, but as a "commercial" release, I generally just like the original.  I hear a Cure cover the other day and it just made me want to hear the original. Same with the Chapman cover. Same with most :dontknow:

There are some I like much better. I didn't know Roy Orbison originally did "I Drove All Night." When I found that out and heard it, it creeped me out.  

I did like Luke's performance last night. Maybe it's how the radio version was produced or something. But really, the context of the song doesn't fit him IMO. Last night was really good tho.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Janis Joplin did Me and Bobby McGee better than Kris Kristofferson did. Patsy Cline did Crazy better than Willie Nelson did. I’m fine with covers if they add a new flavor.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Janis Joplin did Me and Bobby McGee better than Kris Kristofferson did. Patsy Cline did Crazy better than Willie Nelson did. I’m fine with covers if they add a new flavor.

Well, yeah. If we go back 50 yrs. :D... But I'm just wary - not completely unreceptive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Well, Willie DID write that song. But ya, Patsy really put her heart into it. She had such a good sound. Such a loss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm sorta bummed that Weird Al Yankovic didn't win the Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media category for Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. Barbie the Album won instead.

Billie Eilish is pretty strong. Another one of those singers who works hard and puts out some seriously great music.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Did you guys catch Lisa & Wendy backing up Annie Lennox?  That was pretty cool too!  I have heard the Luke Combs version of fast car and I liked it.  Them both performing it together was my favorite performance.  

I was hoping to see Annie, but I fell asleep. 

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, smudge said:

I was hoping to see Annie, but I fell asleep. 

She was gorgeous, as always, and gave her own voice to “nothing compares 2u” during the tribute segment. She also raised a fist and said, “Artists for a ceasefire!” which was a fitting tribute to both Sinead O’Connor’s activism and the spirit of the time. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Are you kidding? There are so many great covers throughout history. Many eclipse the original. Jimi Hendrix All Along the Watchtower. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U. Elvis Costello What's so Funny About Peace Love and Understanding. Run DMC Walk this Way. REM Superman, RHCP-Higher Ground. Joplin's version of Bobby McGee is amazing!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Are you kidding? There are so many great covers throughout history. Many eclipse the original. Jimi Hendrix All Along the Watchtower. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U. Elvis Costello What's so Funny About Peace Love and Understanding. Run DMC Walk this Way. REM Superman, RHCP-Higher Ground. Joplin's version of Bobby McGee is amazing!

Google "wary".  Or run "same with most" through an AI analysis processor.  You'll get there once you get out of a black/white or "all or nothing" mindset.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Google "wary".  Or run "same with most" through an AI analysis processor.  You'll get there once you get out of a black/white or "all or nothing" mindset.

Google "I'm pretty wary of any cover" or "I generally just like the original" and you'll find someone who says they don't like covers and then gives a stupide reply once they realize they are wrong. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dinneR said:

Google "I'm pretty wary of any cover" or "I generally just like the original" and you'll find someone who says they don't like covers and then gives a stupide reply once they realize they are wrong. 

Hey, you may be right! It's your interpretation, man.  You named, what, five or six songs from the past 50 yrs to back your opinion. I simply used conditionals to make my seemingly clear comments show that I am open to covers but not to ALL or MOST of them. 

38 minutes ago, dinneR said:

And how can we forget Weezer's cover of Toto's Africa?  :)

I didn't watch the Grammys but did catch the Tracy Chapman duet on twitter.  Very nice and I liked how he didn't try to sing over her. Missed Celine Dion's appearance so can't weigh in on if Taylor ignored her.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kirby said:

if Taylor ignored her.

It was Taylor’s night! She walked into the room after the live broadcast had started, surrounded by an entourage. She wore two accessories that would add meaning to the night’s narrative:  gloves and a fan. After winning her 14th Grammy, she commented that the metric for winning depends upon the fans, and she has the fans! After JayZ took a thinly veiled snipe at her success, the gloves came off. Literally. While accepting her record-breaking 4th Grammy for best album, she commented that she loves the work, including traveling to Tokyo in her long list of how Grammy-winning moments are made. After all, Taylor has all the fans! And later that evening she could be seen giving the fan to Sza, who also won a Grammy. The message…you’re going to need this.

• Haha 1

Now, Miley Cyrus. Diva extraordinaire! A high-energy performance of her Grammy winning song “Flowers” was underscored by the devilishly honest comment, “I’m performing at the Grammys so I can wake up tomorrow and watch video of myself performing at the Grammys.” Unapologetic femme force of nature, she had four costume changes during the live broadcast, each couture enhanced by either transparent fabric, a playful tease of side-boob possibilities, or both! Give her the Grammy; she knows what to do with a spotlight and a stage. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kirby said:

And how can we forget Weezer's cover of Toto's Africa?

I've heard that a few times over the past few months. Each time, I say to myself, "Why?"  I also come away wanting to play the two side by side.  It's been awhile since I heard the original, but the Weezer version just sounds like ... the original.  :dontknow:

48 minutes ago, Kirby said:

And how can we forget Weezer's cover of Toto's Africa?  :)

I didn't watch the Grammys but did catch the Tracy Chapman duet on twitter.  Very nice and I liked how he didn't try to sing over her. Missed Celine Dion's appearance so can't weigh in on if Taylor ignored her.

My GF heard she would perform so we watched that and turned it off after. Great performance!

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've heard that a few times over the past few months. Each time, I say to myself, "Why?"  I also come away wanting to play the two side by side.  It's been awhile since I heard the original, but the Weezer version just sounds like ... the original.  :dontknow:

I think it started almost as a joke with fans.  Don't get the impression they were trying to re-imagine the song.

• Like 1

So, for those who missed it all:

Pop Solo Performance

• Winner: “Flowers,” Miley Cyrus
  • “Paint the Town Red,” Doja Cat (Nominee)
  • “What Was I Made For [From the Motion Picture ‘Barbie’], Billie Eilish (Nominee) 
  • “Vampire,” Olivia Rodrigo (Nominee)
  • “Anti-Hero,” Taylor Swift (Nominee)

Latin Urban Album

• Winner: “Mañana Será Bonito,” Karol G
  • “Saturno,” Rauw Alejandro (Nominee)
  • “Data,” Tainy (Nominee)

Country Album

• Winner: “Bell Bottom Country,” Lainey Wilson 
  • “Rolling up the Welcome Mat,” Kelsea Ballerini (Nominee)
  • “Brothers Osborne,” Brothers Osborne (Nominee)
  • “Zach Bryan,” Zach Bryan (Nominee)
  • “Rustin’ in the Rain,” Tyler Childers (Nominee) 

R&B Song

• Winner: “Snooze,” SZA
  • “Angel,” Halle Bailey (Nominee)
  • “Back to Love,” Robert Glasper featuring SiR and Alex Isley (Nominee)
  • “ICU,” Coco Jones (Nominee)
  • “On My Mama,” Victoria Monét (Nominee)

Pop Vocal Album

• Winner: “Midnights,” Taylor Swift 
  • “Chemistry,” Kelly Clarkson (Nominee)
  • “Endless Summer Vacation,” Miley Cyrus (Nominee)
  • “Guts,” Olivia Rodrigo (Nominee)
  • -(Subtract), Ed Sheeran (Nominee)

Song of the Year 

• Winner: “What Was I Made For?,” Billie Eilish
  • “A&W,” Lana Del Rey (Nominee)
  • “Butterfly,” Jon Batiste (Nominee)
  • “Dance the Night,” Dua Lipa (Nominee)
  • “Flowers,” Miley Cyrus (Nominee)
  • “Kill Bill,” SZA (Nominee)

Best New Artist 

• Winner: Victoria Monét
  • Gracie Abrams (Nominee)
  • Fred Again (Nominee)
  • Ice Spice (Nominee)
  • Jelly Roll (Nominee)
  • Coco Jones (Nominee)
  • Noah Kahan (Nominee)
  • The War and Treaty (Nominee)

Record of the Year

• Winner: “Flowers,” Miley Cyrus
  • “Worship,” Jon Batiste (Nominee)
  • “Not Strong Enough,” Boygenius (Nominee)
  • “What Was I Made For?,” Billie Eilish (Nominee)
  • “On My Mama,” Victoria Monét (Nominee)
  • “Kill Bill,” SZA (Nominee)

Album of the Year 

• Winner: “Midnights,” Taylor Swift
  • “World Music Radio,” Jon Batiste (Nominee)
  • “The Record,” Boygenius (Nominee)
  • “Endless Summer Vacation, ” Miley Cyrus (Nominee)
  • “Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd,” Lana Del Rey (Nominee)
  • “The Age of Pleasure,” Janelle Monaé (Nominee)
  • “Guts,” Olivia Rodrigo (Nominee)
  • “SOS,” SZA (Nominee)