0 for 7

dinneR
Go to solution Solved by jsharr,

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

I think I missed part of the story and am confused.  Are you trying to win a house in a lottery?

He is trying to simply find a place to live in a very competitive and unfriendly environment.  Sounds like same odds as winning the the lottery though.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I think I missed part of the story and am confused.  Are you trying to win a house in a lottery?

You have to win the lottery to obtain housing at a lower cost than a Resident of Monti Carlo would pay.

• Sad 1

One of my co-workers pointed out I'm actually 0 for 8 since I was rejected by current residence last week. I had not counted that one. I did convince them to refund my application fee since they asked me to apply for a unit they would not let me move into. It helps to throw a fit.

• Sad 2
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

34 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Do you have any more options?

One. I email them daily.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I got bounced from my current apt because of my income. I'm trying to find a new apt. It is not easy. You apply and they conduct a lottery or weighted drawing. My luck sucks. The person who beat me today has been here six months.

15 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Didn't you say you have to move out by the end of the month? :(

End of April.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

I feel bad now for making light of the situation in my first post.

Don't. It's comical. 

I will say housing insecurity really sucks. You are at the mercy of landlords. They make up arbitrary rules and yank you around.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, dinneR said:

It helps to throw a fit.

So.. are you unlucky... or do they just omit you from the lotteries because you threw a fit?   :scratchhead:

I hope your luck changes.

Will there be other lotteries (hopefully more than one) for an apartment before you are homeless?  

I just cant imagine housing insecurity.   Yeah that sucks.

36 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So.. are you unlucky... or do they just omit you from the lotteries because you threw a fit?   :scratchhead:

I hope your luck changes.

Will there be other lotteries (hopefully more than one) for an apartment before you are homeless?  

I just cant imagine housing insecurity.   Yeah that sucks.

I'm very nice to the people doing the lotteries. My understanding is those happen at the county attorney's office. I lost it with the leasing agent at my current place. 

I doubt there will be any more lotteries in the near future. Maybe. They don't give you much notice, usually two weeks.

I've moved four times in seven years. This last place was nice. I had a four year run. I'd stay if I could.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 2

56 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I couldn't imagine moving that many times. Is it possible to find a place for a long time or ever?  I hope things work out for you.

It's possible, but hard to find. You get bounced, landlords raise the rent beyond your means. If I find a place, my rent will more than double. I'm on waiting lists all over town and with both housing organizations. 

I have to turn in my volunteer hours with one org which could improve my chances. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I found a place. I gave them some money. She said I could move in at the end of April. I lived there a few years ago. It's okay. Small, 470 sq. ft. studio. I'll have to keep my bikes inside. They have a garden so I can plant some things.

1017181404.jpg

You can save some floor space hanging the bikes from the ceiling from hooks. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dinneR said:

There is no door on the bedroom so they call it a studio.

Still, though, you have a separate space, and 470' is huge for a studio!  My previous studio was one room and about 240sq'.  Congrats again, though!

I haven't heard back from my landlord about my renewal yet, though, and I am starting to feel anxious a bit.  Just checked my email, and there it was!  Yay!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I found a place. I gave them some money. She said I could move in at the end of April. I lived there a few years ago. It's okay. Small, 470 sq. ft. studio. I'll have to keep my bikes inside. They have a garden so I can plant some things.

apt.jpg

It looks nice.  Not as nice as the hatch of my Gremblin but pretty nice none the less.  I am real happy for you.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I agree. It works like a 1 bedroom. It's decent. 470 is pretty good. It forces you to be tight with your stuff and organization helps. I just read an interior design book on small spaces. Maybe I'll  be inspired.

The mgr seems nice. She said I could have a garden plot and a key to the hose.

I'm closer to the mt bikes trails, just a couple blocks to the NF boundary.

Although I don’t have the housing issues you have, I can relate.  SoCal is a desirable place to live for me so we chose to live in a place that is expensive.  We hear often, why don’t you move to: (fill in the blank).  I would rather have less house and live in a place  I want to live than have more house somewhere I don’t want to live.   

• Heart 2

I appreciate all the good thoughts. It all went down yesterday. Four of us at work are in the same boat looking for housing. Two of us applied for the lottery unit. One guy got it. He offered it to me because he felt guilty. He's been here six months and I have seven years.  He would have to live in his car. I said take it.

Another co-worker had the unit I am getting. She backed out because her current landlord offered her a long term lease so she took that. I got the call yesterday while I was in a meeting. We were having a party for an employee who quit and is leaving the valley because she lost her housing. She's lived here all her life and is finally giving up rather than play the game. She is moving to MT.

• Hugs 2

7 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I like that kitchen. The counter with seating is great. I have a small table from Montgomery Ward. It's on wheels and the sides fold up and down to make it larger when I have guests over. It has storage for two extra chairs in it.

IMG_20240321_110203058.jpg

We have that very same stand/table.  Youngest son has it in his room

The counter had more kitchen storage.  It was all one room with walls only around the bathroom 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You'll be fine there as long as you are a neatnik.  I lived in that as a contract worker but my family was at home in CT.  I also had room cleaners who came in every day and started the dishwasher and changed the bedding  :loveshower:

I do enjoy small living. I am not neat though. Kind of a junk show.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

that must be a huge relief

It is. I was planning to move my stuff into storage and stay with a friend until I found something. The reality is your odds go down after April. April is the end of the ski season, so apartments open up. If you are looking in May, it's hard. June-Sept, forget about it.

• Heart 3