Is Anyone Celebrating National Beer Day?

Kirby

Just now, TrentonMakes said:

I guess I celebrated... I bought a 24-oz can of Miller High Life; used half to make beer batter for fish and drank the rest while frying.

My wife is always asking for a beer to use in a recipe.  I always struggle to know which to give her.  Go with the "cheap" stuff?  Or does it actually matter? And what type of beer?  I assume there is a correct answer to choosing beer for different recipes, but I don't know it. @Parsnip Totin Jack might.  If I'm lucky, I have some Fat Tire in the fridge and can offer that.  Reasonable price and she doesn't complain about it being too hoppy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My wife is always asking for a beer to use in a recipe.  I always struggle to know which to give her.  Go with the "cheap" stuff?  Or does it actually matter? And what type of beer?  I assume there is a correct answer to choosing beer for different recipes, but I don't know it. @Parsnip Totin Jack might.  If I'm lucky, I have some Fat Tire in the fridge and can offer that.  Reasonable price and she doesn't complain about it being too hoppy.

If I was cooking for my beer-drinkin' friends I'd have pulled an IPA from the fridge.  Cooking for my wife and son, I'm really using beer mostly for the bubbles, and I suppose the opportunity to throw around the phrase "beer batter" which is fun to say.  As I think I've said before, I think MHL is in the upper tier of the lower-tier beers. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I always struggle to know which to give her.

I think adding beer to recipes is really a circus stunt that adds nothing of value other than liquid to the final dish.  I did it not that long ago when making pulled pork, but I really just wanted to free up space in the fridge by subtracting a beer that I wasn't gonna drink anyway.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I went with a Delirium Nocturnum on Saturday,

Mikey likey. 

Our local craft beer store went TU, so now I have to drive about 20 miles either to Wegman’s or Beer Depot. :( 

Even so, it’s gotten to the point where everything’s in cans, with crazy-ass labels and goofy names that tell you nothing about WTF is inside the can. Besides, they’re all hopped to hell and back. 🤮 Delirium Nocturnum is one I know they have, that I can fall back on, should I not find anything else.

Lately, I’ve been stuck on this but not sure how long they’ll have it.