Billie Joe's Jump off Tallahatchie Bridge wasn't the point!

MickinMD

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Now this is the kind of in-depth deeply analytical posts we need more of, you slackers!

Stay tuned for "Who's buried in Grant's tomb". The burning question everyone asks, revealed!

I never did like that song. The radio stations played the crap out of it the year I graduated HS. I was glad I had a push button radio in my car to quickly change the station.

Does anyone else remember the car radios without the push buttons? Technology is a good thing. Didn’t have to listen to that stupid song. (No I didn’t listen to the link)

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

“The song is sort of a study in unconscious cruelty. But everybody seems more concerned with what was thrown off the bridge than they are with the thoughtlessness of the people expressed in the song. What was thrown off the bridge really isn’t that important."

I was thinking about these sentences.  And I wonder whether she intended to primarily highlight that thoughtlessness in the song, and if she is therefore annoyed with all the people who fixate on the mystery of what was thrown?  Maybe she just needed more sentences that ended with "Tallahatchie Bridge" and the line about something being thrown was just chosen as something that fit.  Still, it's hard to imagine she wrote that line without an idea of what they were throwing.

I have a memory of discussing this song in a school music class, and the teacher mentioning the mystery of what they were throwing.  I don't recall if the passivity of the girl's family was also mentioned.

The additional verse is also a treat - interesting that chronologically it's at the end of the story, but she intended for it to serve as a foreboding introduction.  Nevertheless I think I agree with the exclusion of this explanatory verse, because now you have to listen as pieces of the story fall into place.  Of course once you really love a song it's hard to think of it any other way.

also - Wednesday was Billy Joel's 69th birthday.  I bet his wish is to someday write a song as good as "Ode".  

• Heart 1

On 5/11/2018 at 6:45 AM, donkpow said:

Interesting. Now if I could know what it means, "25 or 6 to 4", I would be relieved.

I was a big fan of Chicago and, during grad school at IIT in Chicago in the '70's, I used to think of that song when I was up half the night doing 600-course level Thermodynamics, etc. homework.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I was a big fan of Chicago and, during grad school at IIT in Chicago in the '70's, I used to think of that song when I was up half the night doing 600-course level Thermodynamics, etc. homework.

What a coincidence, I was up half the night during most of the 70's myself. Of course, "therma...", "thermo...", "theradyn...".    I had a different major. ?