I had to put him down. :-(

donkpow

The cat we have affectionately called "The Kid" tried to jump onto the truck parked in the garage, missed, fell, and broke his back. I gave him twenty minutes in order to evaluate his condition and concluded that he would not survive. He was dragging himself around the house, up the stairs, into the bed, crying all the time. I made it quick for him.

• Sad 9

I believe he had a congenital defect resulting in weakness in his lower spine. He demonstrated a tingling that he would have to stop and deal with and it wasn't unusual for his hind quarters to "go to sleep". Picking him up in any but the most careful manner resulted in pain for him. Frankly, I am thinking it was inevitable that he would have to go this way. He was a good guy. Perpetually happy.

This is the cat that came to us in the middle of winter. He was near death's door when he got here. His feet were frozen and was in terribly bad shape. I built him a heated place outside for a couple of day and gave him some food. Then I brought him into the garage with a pillow under a heat lamp. Then he was fully on board and started coming into the house. He was the dumbest cat I have ever seen. He couldn't kill to save his own life. He was an excellent vole hunter, though. He was very proud of that. He would hunt and kill voles and then bring them back to the feeding station.

It took him forever to learn something. He was only about 3 years old. Maybe 4. I would instruct him and if he wasn't too bull headed at the moment, he would think about what I was saying. Then he would not think about it. I would say it again. He would think about it again. When he finally understood, he would give me a big head butt and would be so relieved. He was a good guy. Always well intentioned but dumb all day long.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Man, that is horrible.  We have a dachsund with a hurt back that has been with us for years.  Happy and not in pain, just has bad days every now and then and his back legs usually work like those of a drunken sailor.

This cat was very big, long you might say. Sometimes larger beasts of a litter don't form right in the womb. Cats can have up to around 6 kittens per litter. While their odds of reproductive success are high, there is a high possibility of defects.