So, you decide to eat an avocado.

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Usually my wife making it into guac.  Very first step, though, is CHOOSING A RIPE one.  A huge bummer to have one that is days from being ready to eat. :angry:

Tom

If the stem comes off easy and the avocado is lightly firm and a little easy to press in from the sides... It is ready.

And then throw it in the trash because they are disgusting.

• Haha 1

What is involved, usually lots of prep. As in making the other dish that the avocado compliments.

My family always asks me to make my "famous salsa" for gatherings.  Plain ole salsa with a couple of avocados mashed in.  Easy peasy and tasty!

Verifying the proper ripeness is the most important step.  Just like bananas, they are "just right" for about 15 minutes and then they're too far gone.

I do love guac, but I think my favorite avocado treatment is simply to cut it in half, pull out the stone, set the halves on a plate and then put a little balsamic vinegar in each well.  Grab a spoon and go.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is the only acceptable way to eat avocado, mostly because it no longer tastes like avocado. 

I'm not a huge avocado fan either but when I make chicken tortilla soup I cut avocado in little cubes and put some in the bowl and then ladle the soup over it.  

It kinda parboiles the avocado and it takes on the flavor of the soup. Pretty tasty that way too.

• Awesome 1

After skinning the avocado alive, ripping out its reproductive bits, and murdering it into little pieces, the chopping of onions, chilies, tomatoes and cilantro and the squeezing of a lime or two and some smashing and mashing and spicing with salt and pepper takes place.  Then the dipping of the tortilla chips into the pulverized carcass of the avocado commences.  This is best done with a cold beer close by.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

They do taste like greasy ass, don’t they?

...coincidentally, I am eating a California grown Haas avocado as I sit and type this.

I selected the avocado for size and ripeness, halved  it to remove the pit, then halved those halves again in order to peel the skin off.

I then sprinkled all four quarters lightly with salt and pepper, and am eating pieces of them with some delicious Late July corn chips I bought at Costco.

I would like to hear the story of how you discovered what greasy ass tastes like.

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...coincidentally, I am eating a California grown Haas avocado as I sit and type this.

I selected the avocado for size and ripeness, halved  it to remove the pit, then halved those halves again in order to peel the skin off.

I then sprinkled all four quarters lightly with salt and pepper, and am eating pieces of them with some delicious Late July corn chips I bought at Costco.

I would like to hear the story of how you discovered what greasy ass tastes like.

He is from Cleveland you know. The Newark of Ohio.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

15 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The quality of avocado back east here is quite poor. If you want good avocado, you have to go to the source. When I lived in Ca., I used to eat avocado with tortillas as a light lunch. Mmm, delicioso!

Funny in that the CA avocado trees are in between seasons.  Winter season is long over and summer season is a few months away still.  The avocado trees in our neighborhood bloomed about a month ago and have really small fruit on them right now.

If you are eating "CA avocado" they gotta be leftover from winter season. 

53 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Funny in that the CA avocado trees are in between seasons.  Winter season is long over and summer season is a few months away still.  The avocado trees in our neighborhood bloomed about a month ago and have really small fruit on them right now.

If you are eating "CA avocado" they gotta be leftover from winter season. 

...Costco.  Tastes pretty good and I presume comes from down just north of the border near all those avocado ranches inland out of Sandy Eggo.

You're wrong on the season here. It's extended by different varieties, and goes from about early April through most of the summer.  Of course, that allows for some cold storage to slow down ripening in parts of the crop.

I don't know what's growing in your particular neighborhood, but there's a good chance they are of a specific variety that got planted there.

I have a naval orange out in the yard that I don't pick until late spring.  That's long after most of the other oranges in my neighborhood here have disappeared.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

The quality of avocado back east here is quite poor. If you want good avocado, you have to go to the source. When I lived in Ca., I used to eat avocado with tortillas as a light lunch. Mmm, delicioso!

I had some in Santiago that were incredible.  Best ever.

• Heart 1

Today, on WoWilbur's recommendation, I just scooped it into a bowl, gave it a light squeeze of lemon and a little salt and pepper.  It was really quite good.  Normally, I just quarter it like Page but give each piece a little shot of Worcestershire sauce.  That is my favourite. 

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...Costco.  Tastes pretty good and I presume comes from down just north of the border near all those avocado ranches inland out of Sandy Eggo.

You're wrong on the season here. It's extended by different varieties, and goes from about early April through most of the summer.  Of course, that allows for some cold storage to slow down ripening in parts of the crop.

I don't know what's growing in your particular neighborhood, but there's a good chance they are of a specific variety that got planted there.

I have a naval orange out in the yard that I don't pick until late spring.  That's long after most of the other oranges in my neighborhood here have disappeared.

Yeah citrus varies so I guess avocado does too.  I actually ride past an avocado orchard often (the local foothills in OC also have numerous avocado orchards)  and was out that way a couple of weeks ago when the trees were in bloom as were the ones in our neighborhood.  They must be of the same type then but I was only aware of the summer & winter seasons.

It is hard to tell tho as they are readily available year round in our markets.

53 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah citrus varies so I guess avocado does too.  I actually ride past an avocado orchard often (the local foothills in OC also have numerous avocado orchards)  and was out that way a couple of weeks ago when the trees were in bloom as were the ones in our neighborhood.  They must be of the same type then but I was only aware of the summer & winter seasons.

It is hard to tell tho as they are readily available year round in our markets.

...there's even some guy down near Visalia who is trying to fill in the seasonal gap in November and December.

There's one backyard avocado tree one street down from me, that hangs over my across the street neighbor's house. But in the years when it does bear fruit (not too cold for it), the squirrels and possums get most of them. The bird that is stealing my cherries and eating part of one, then dropping it for me to find, dropped the remains in one of my potted plants last night for me to find this morning. :angry:

13 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there's even some guy down near Visalia who is trying to fill in the seasonal gap in November and December.

There's one backyard avocado tree one street down from me, that hangs over my across the street neighbor's house. But in the years when it does bear fruit (not too cold for it), the squirrels and possums get most of them. The bird that is stealing my cherries and eating part of one, then dropping it for me to find, dropped the remains in one of my potted plants last night for me to find this morning. :angry:

We have a long time resident who has planted 20 or so trees in our community.  Most get plucked but some of the trees are quiet large and nobody's clumbing those.  Lots of citrus in our neighborhood too.

We still have numerous strawberry fields in my area and those are peaking now too.

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Just yesterday I had avocado but I don't know where it came from.  We ate at a small hole in the wall mexican restaurant and I had tostadas that were very light and topped with avocado wedges.  Quite good.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

What is involved? 

A minimum of 12 hours meditation, !6 hours fasting, a holy smoke ceremony.

THEN, ya gotta get an avocado and eat it,

After the eating ceremony you should spend several hours in quiet contemplation of the wonder you have consumed

Enjoy

• Heart 1