A tree fell in the forest today

Dirtyhip

We heard a tremendous snapping and cracking.  I thought it was fireworks or possibly a person shooting off massive rounds.  It was a gigantic tree.  It fell about 50 feet from where we were standing.  It was so loud. 

This was the second time this year that I was near a tree that fell to the ground.  The one today was a very large tree.  The one that fell early this summer was much smaller.  

Yes, trees make a lot of loud noises when they fall.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Many trees have died here.  Saturday I had a 10 ft long  4 inch diameter branch fall on my sidewalk.  It was rotten through and through, a leftover from the Gypsy Moth disasters.  Fortunately it did not hit my power line.  

British ash tres are succumbing now to ash die back disease, it hasn’t set in locally much that I’ve heard of yet, but more than 90% of them are doomed, apparently, and nothing can be done to save them. It’s hard to imagine the Sheffield woods (most treed city in Europe don’t you know) and the Peak District sans ash trees, they are so abundant here, part of the landscape, literally. This makes me sad.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

British ash tres are succumbing now to ash die back disease, it hasn’t set in locally much that I’ve heard of yet, but more than 90% of them are doomed, apparently, and nothing can be done to save them. It’s hard to imagine the Sheffield woods (most treed city in Europe don’t you know) and the Peak District sans ash trees, they are so abundant here, part of the landscape, literally. This makes me sad.

Is this from emarald ash borer? We will face that soon. Our ash also dies from “ash yellows” which is a decline caused by a host of issues.

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

Is this from emarald ash borer? We will face that soon. Our ash also dies from “ash yellows” which is a decline caused by a host of issues.

The trees that fell at my mother in law’s were ash trees that had been killed by the Emarald ash borer. I turn all the trees that fall into ash.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The trees that fell at my mother in law’s were ash trees that had been killed by the Emarald ash borer. I turn all the trees that fall into ash.

It’s an inevitable pun, John, given that it is a fine firewood, maybe my fave, but not how it got that name, which comes from t’ Anglo Saxon for spear.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

No Z, it is not

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenoscyphus_fraxineus

btw did you miss my question about your squash and pumpkins, did you grow them yourselves?

Different than our ash yellows. Unfortunately any trees not infected will eventually face EAB.

yes we grow our own squash and pumpkins. We have one large garden devoted to just squash and pumpkin. 

• Heart 1

I was fishing a small trout stream in heavy forest on a beautiful spring day. While I was casting into a pool a 5" diameter limb fell and landed  3' from me. Gave me a fright.

Same pool different trip. My fly snagged in a branch just out of reach from a large rock. I verified that it was just out of reach by falling into the creek. Waders do keep your feet afloat and your head submerged, glad it was a small pool and I was soon in the shallow end.   :hapydance:

• Haha 2

Near the end of our road there is a huge maple growing close to the road under the power lines. The power company has cut  all the branches off this tree except for the ones sticking out over the road. It is obvious that all the weight is over the road and when it falls it will probably kill someone or at least block the road.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Near the end of our road there is a huge maple growing close to the road under the power lines. The power company has cut  all the branches off this tree except for the ones sticking out over the road. It is obvious that all the weight is over the road and when it falls it will probably kill someone or at least block the road.

Reminds me of how we almost lost Thaddeus that way.

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I think the cameras with sound put a final answer to that age old stupid question.

I think you misunderstand that age old very deep and unstupid question John, anyone who has looked into it will say the camera with sound is there in lieu of someone, so does not count as no one there.

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Dumb bastards. Take pics and send them to the power company, tell them they’ll be liable when the inevitable happens.

5 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Dumb bastards. Take pics and send them to the power company, tell them they’ll be liable when the inevitable happens.

You sir, know not of what you are speaking of.  You are from a land of sound and practical tort laws.  We are from 'Merica.  We know nothing of sound and practical tort laws.  In the future, please refrain form commenting on subjects you know nothing of

• Heart 1

Unfortunately the power company is only responsible for the line to the weather hood somewhere near your roof.  All the other wiring on the outside and the conduit and hood itself are yours.  If a branch rips the hood off your house and water gets in your breaker box causing rust the the resultant bill will run about $5000.

The power company will politely come back and hook you up again once you have passed inspection.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

You sir, know not of what you are speaking of.  You are from a land of sound and practical tort laws.  We are from 'Merica.  We know nothing of sound and practical tort laws.  In the future, please refrain form commenting on subjects you know nothing of

I may know little or nothing of your tort, indeed, I know nothing of our own tort, I know more of Belgian tarts than I know of any nation’s tort, but I digress somewhat; what I do know about ‘merica is it is a land of litigation, a land where if there’s blame, there’s a claim, and thought Shirley if a company was shown their accident waiting to happen they’d take steps to right the matter: are you telling me I’d be wrong in that?

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

a land where if there’s blame

See, you know nothing.  There does not have to be blame.  There doesn't have to be anything (except one sleazy lawyer).  Unlike your sound and practical tort system anyone can take advantage of the 'merican unsound and and impractical tort system for any reason - sound or unsound.  In your vernacular it would be Sue the bugger.

Now about those tarts...

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

See, you know nothing.  There does not have to be blame.  There doesn't have to be anything (except one sleazy lawyer).  Unlike your sound and practical tort system anyone can take advantage of the 'merican unsound and and impractical tort system for any reason - sound or unsound.  In your vernacular it would be Sue the bugger.

Yep - there is a sucker born every minute that believes that nonsense.

Tom

4 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Since I know nothing, nor understand nothing of what you’re saying, please explain me in one syllable words why someone who is hurt or killed by the dangerous tree sitch described by John won’t have a slam dunk in court claiming against the power company.

re the Belgian tarts, they are world renowned as you’ll know already, and they are everywhere, every street and corner and shoppe and market, tempting beyond belief, and on my cycle tours of that lovey country I give in to the temptation every night, in whichever town, field or village I pitch up, I look over the selection, and pick out a tart, which I save till after my supper, of course, before devouring.

8 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Since I know nothing, nor understand nothing of what you’re saying, please explain me in one syllable words why someone who is hurt or killed by the dangerous tree sitch described by John won’t have a slam dunk in court claiming against the power company.

Because the tree is in the right of way of the road that is managed by the local government and you can't sue the local government unless it is willful negligence and a tree falling is not willful negligence but an act of nature by it's very nature so it is not the fault of the power company which puts it's poles in the road right of way for this very reason and stays out of all sort of court torts with this shrewd way of doing business.

I am not a sleazy lawyer nor do I play one on TV but in this case I know of what I'm talking about - At least in Michigan.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Because the tree is in the right of way of the road that is managed by the local government and you can't sue the local government unless it is willful negligence and a tree falling is not willful negligence but an act of nature by it's very nature so it is not the fault of the power company which puts it's poles in the road right of way for this very reason and stays out of all sort of court torts with this shrewd way of doing business.

I am not a sleazy lawyer nor do I play one on TV but in this case I know of what I'm talking about - At least in Michigan.

‘Merica is still the Greatest country on earth, though: am I right?

When I coached high school cross country, our 3-mile course ran through the woods adjacent to the school grounds.  After bad storms, hurricanes, etc. I had to walk the course with a chain saw because there'd often be a tree that fell across our course's path.  Sometimes the trees that fell were monsters that feel into a leaning position against other big trees and it was easier to leave it alone and cut a new path through the brush a safe distance and direction from it and dig up small roots.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I coached high school cross country, our 3-mile course ran through the woods adjacent to the school grounds.  After bad storms, hurricanes, etc. I had to walk the course with a chain saw because there'd often be a tree that fell across our course's path.  Sometimes the trees that fell were monsters that feel into a leaning position against other big trees and it was easier to leave it alone and cut a new path through the brush a safe distance and direction from it and dig up small roots.

We have some nice cross thread referencing going in this thread now, and I must axe, did anyone hear these tree falls, mick?