The 2019 NFL Draft in Review

Dottleshead

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

"Pittsburgh Steelers: B+"

I'd say that sounds about right.  The draft is such a crap shoot but I love football talk so I'm there.

Inside the division I think Cincinnati did a lousy job again and the Ravens did OK as well.  I think the Browns had another very good draft.

It's good to be good already.

Sure the Eagles could have used LB and DB help, maybe an edge rusher.  But when you're already good enough that the weaknesses aren't terribly weak, you don't have to reach to get positions you need.

The best Left Tackle in the draft, when your current left tackle has one year left in him is a great move.  A running back and wide receiver that should be able to step right in this year and give a great QB better weapons should concern a lot of defenses.  And a couple other projects who don't kill you if they don't pan out.  And they have done well in undrafted FAs before.

I like the draft.  Not Earthshattering, but a really good team got better.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Kzoo said:

"Pittsburgh Steelers: B+"

I'd say that sounds about right.  The draft is such a crap shoot but I love football talk so I'm there.

Inside the division I think Cincinnati did a lousy job again and the Ravens did OK as well.  I think the Browns had another very good draft.

I don’t know who we picked up outside of Devon Bush. Did we get some DBs in the third round?

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t know who we picked up outside of Devon Bush. Did we get some DBs in the third round?

Yes a baller from Michigan State.  He has good upside.

"Round 3, No. 83 overall: Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State

My take: The Steelers get a big, physical outside corner to develop alongside veteran starters Joe Haden and Steven Nelson. Many projected Layne to go in the second round because of his frame (6-foot-2, 192 pounds) and willingness to compete at the line of scrimmage. "I didn't think he'd be around this long," Pittsburgh assistant Teryl Austin said. With Layne and inside linebacker Devin Bush, the Steelers fill two defensive needs with proven Big Ten talent. And Layne, who can begin on special teams, is eager to prove himself after a Day 2 slide. "They are gonna feel me," he said."

• Heart 1

The Ravens did well - NFL.com scored them as a "A" for the draft: see below including link for ratings for all 32 teams.

A Ravens' and former Baltimore Sun beat reporter wrote, "It’s no wonder [GM Eric] DeCosta couldn’t stop smiling as his first draft concluded."

I liked the fact they got the #1 rated WR, Marquise Brown, and another, Notre Dame's Miles Boykin, who may become even better and in Round 6 got Penn State's McSorley as a backup QB. New GM Eric DeCosta, who was a key assistant to just-retired GM Ozzie "The Wizard of Oz" Newsome, seems to have done very well in his first draft and may have produced Newsome-like results, including trading down from 22nd to 25th pick and getting 2 extra picks yet still getting the originally-targeted Brown at the traded-down position.

One member of NFL Network’s “Draft Tonight” crew said Marquise Brown should be a favorite for NFL Rookie of the Year, but when Jackson took over for injured Joe Flacco last year, pass receiving fell way off and EVERY established WR except one fled the Ravens as soon as the season was over.

I wonder if Lamar Jackson is going to do well as starting QB this year: he did poorly late in the season and when San Diego saw him for the second time in a few weeks in the playoffs, they knew how to shut him down.  He runs extremely well but did NOT pass well, though that may be par for the course for being a rookie last year.  And the Raven's can NOT run him 20 times/game and expect him to not get hurt: he's not built that strong.

If Jackson doesn't pan-out, McSorley is also a scrambler as well as a better passer and is great to have on the team.  The Ravens may also be able to use him as a WR or DB or 2-QB set.

The Ravens didn't draft an inside linebacker to replace free-agent-departing All-Pro C.J. Mosley, but they already have two young very-good inside linebackers. They drafted two good edge rushers - outside LB's/DE's in the Ravens' 3-4 defense.

NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028874/article/2019-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams)

Baltimore Ravens
Draft picks: Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown (No. 25 overall); Louisiana Tech OLB Jaylon Ferguson (No. 85); Notre Dame WR Miles Boykin (No. 93); Oklahoma State RB Justice Hill (No. 113); Oklahoma OG Ben Powers (No. 123); USC CB Iman Marshall (No. 127); Texas A&M DT Daylon Mack (No. 160); Penn State QB Trace McSorley (No. 197)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Multiple NFL general managers told me they would have a hard time picking Brown, a 166-pound receiver, in the first round. Sure, he lacks size, but his talent reminds me of DeSean Jackson, who was also under 170 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine when he came out. If Brown has that sort of career, the Ravens will have done well. Plus, they gained two Day 3 picks (Nos. 127 and 197) by trading down three spots in a deal with the Eagles and still selecting the guy they likely wanted at No. 22.

Ferguson joins former third-round pick Tim Williams as a developing pass rusher for the Ravens. Ferguson could have gone much earlier, so I suspect Baltimore fans will come to appreciate his talents. Adding a larger receiver in Boykin made sense with the lack of wideout depth for Ravens.

Hill brings speed and underrated toughness to complement Mark Ingram. Powers could take over for Marshal Yanda as a starter eventually. Marshall was a great pick for Baltimore because they will eventually need to replace Jimmy Smith and Brandon Carr. Mack is yet another sparkplug in the middle for the Ravens. McSorley would seem to fit the Ravens' current offense and could contribute at another position, if needed.

I don't really have an NFL team that I care about, but I did watch to see if the college players I like got drafted.  Some ended up on better teams for them than others.  I watched part of the draft on "On the Clock" an ESPN stream that was fairly entertaining, but I mainly can't believe what a big deal the whole draft has become.

And do the players going in the third round know they're not going in the second, or did they have all their family and friends sitting around a day earlier with cameras there just waiting for a call that didn't come?  Personally I wouldn't want everyone hanging around just in case the call didn't come when I expected it.

It is easy to be optimistic at this point for almost all the teams, except for the Giants.  Well, maybe for them a little, too.

I need to go back and look at the actual picks and figure everything out, but in the first round, I thought the Jets, Bills, and Washington really did well, incredibly so.  Oakland about as expected, but I thought they would go with a different choice at 4.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

He runs extremely well but did NOT pass well, though that may be par for the course for being a rookie last year. 

That is my take on him and Josh Allen of the Bills.  Teams will start playing more defensive backs against them to counter the quickness of Jackson.  My hope is that he improves, my gut says he will never be a reliable guy with the ball in the air, not for more than a game or two in a row.  I hope I am wrong, but I am leery of guys who can't throw for percentage in college but have to do it in the NFL against much better defense.  He sure is exciting, though.