All olive oil is the same

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hook sunk.  I was like, WTF?

California Olive ranch fan here, or Apollo.  In a pinch, Paesano is not bad.  I bought this Bertolli crap recently.  What a load of gross crap. I'm going to make soap with that.  Yuck.

:)

I used to buy Paesano, I love that stuff!  I think I mentioned that to you 10 or so years back, not sure. 

I have heard that CA olive ranch is good, which flavor?

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hook sunk.  I was like, WTF?

California Olive ranch fan here, or Apollo.  In a pinch, Paesano is not bad.  I bought this Bertolli crap recently.  What a load of gross crap. I'm going to make soap with that.  Yuck.

Bertoli would be a step up for us!  😂

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

:)

I used to buy Paesano, I love that stuff!  I think I mentioned that to you 10 or so years back, not sure. 

I have heard that CA olive ranch is good, which flavor?

If you have the dough, Arbequina or Arbosana reserve collection.  If you want budget, just go for their 100% California everyday olive oil.  Even their destination olve is fine too.

If you really want something special, try Apollo.  It's curl your toes good.

https://www.apollooliveoil.com/organic-extra-virgin/

Navarino Icons isn't bad either.  Shoot, I could talk about olives all day.  :wub:  It is my wine.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think that is our standard.  Is that motor oil? :(

No.  I don't think any of it is motor oil.  What some of it has is filler oil, like canola or soy bean.  There is a lot of fraud in olive oil, sadly.  I try to stick with ones that are tested pure and seem to taste more pure.  California seems to be pretty legit with third party testing.  Some swear by the Costco oil, but I don't like the taste.  

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

It is true.  Olive oil is olive oil.  Now vanilla is a different story.  There is good vanilla.  terrible vanilla and great vanilla.   The best comes from the Dominican Republic.  

HAHA.  

So, do tell what is your brand?  

Heilala is in my cupboard.  It's pretty good.  I am a fan of the paste, vs the liquid.

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Soak the beans in vodka. I get them from the Dekalb county farmers market. 

Yep, vodka but not potato vodka.  I make it 2 gallons at a time so it tends to last quite a while.  It also makes a nice gift if bottled and labeled well.  My last batch was Madagascar and I let them soak about 6 months.  

16 hours ago, Tizeye said:

And then there is...

There was a Popeye short from the late 30s or early 40s.  Apparently they used a different artist to draw Olive Oyl. He gave her a hint of curve and a better fit to the dress. Gave her a little sex appeal. Apparently it only lasted for that one short. I’ve only seen it once. Couldn’t remember the title to try to find it again. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, groupw said:

There was a Popeye short from the late 30s or early 40s.  Apparently they used a different artist to draw Olive Oyl. He gave her a hint of curve and a better fit to the dress. Gave her a little sex appeal. Apparently it only lasted for that one short. I’ve only seen it once. Couldn’t remember the title to try to find it again. 

My daughter played softball & volley ball with this girl I called Olive Oil (not to her face).  She was a tall gangly young lady.  Her parents were non existent so I often gave her rides & sponsored her for events.   Sweet girl.

A couple of years ago my daughter says holy crap dad look at Olive Oil!?!! She posted on Instagram she’s a fitness instructor now, still tall but no longer gangly, she filled out & is super fit!  Smoking hot too!

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Just kidding, that is pure DH bait!

What is your favorite?

I do so little frying that I use EVOO for all my cooking oil needs even though Lidia, on her cooking shows, says it's a waste of money to use EVOO for high-heat frying.  Otherwise, the bottle would go bad before I finished it.  So I'm picky about which EVOO's to buy since they have to taste good under all conditions.

They did a study on America's Test Kitchen (PBS), where Jack Bishop does a Taste Test each episode with a panel of experts and audience members, several years back and found that EVERY American brand of Extra Virgin Olive Oil was a fraud: a blend of EVOO and other olive oil or a "first pressing only" and that EVERY European brand - where they have standards and testing - sold in America was real EVOO.  The latest test found one excellent American brand but it's a blend of olives that come from mostly outside of America (see Best Supermarket Olive Oils, video and text at bottom).

Personally and among family members: we love the taste of Costco's Italian Imports with 100% Italian olives: best is Kirkland Toscano EVOO ($13.99/liter) and, if that's not in stock, very good is Lucini EVOO ($16.99/750 ml - runner-up in the 2019 America's Test Kitchen Test where they said it cost $21.99 and show a 500 ml bottle!).  In a pinch in a supermarket, I'll get Bertolli (blend of olives from all around Western Mediterranean Europe) - runner up an earlier ATK taste test. Left of a shelf during the recent food panic, I got Pompeian Robust (mostly Spanish olives), which is just ok - America's Test Kitchen said it didn't like it because "it didn't taste like olives."

Right now, I have the last dregs of the Pompeian bottle and a full bottle of Lucini I got when things calmed down, ready to be opened:

333114971_20200419_1138001.thumb.jpg.dad05c54827870852ead503e6a15a332.jpg

The Best Supermarket Olive Oils: California Olive Ranch and Bertolli- earlier test.

Our top two choices are California Olive Ranch Destination Series Everyday Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Original, Rich Taste. These oils had a similar crowd-pleasing flavor profile that was bright and medium-fruity, with a lightly peppery aftertaste. We were disappointed that California Olive Ranch discontinued our previous favorite California-grown oil, but we found that the replacement was a good flavor match for the discontinued oil. California Olive Ranch built its reputation on California-grown olives planted in high-density hedges that could be quickly machine-harvested at their peak and pressed within hours. But the state could not produce enough olives to meet demand, so, according to a company spokesperson, the company found sources in Portugal, Chile, and Argentina that grow and harvest the same type of olives in the same way. It then imports these oils to blend and bottle them in California with a small amount of local oil.    

The Bertolli oil was a pleasant surprise. When we last tasted supermarket extra-virgin olive oil four years ago, Bertolli’s offering ranked dead last; tasters called it “flat” and “dull.” What changed? We spoke to the executive director of the North American Olive Oil Association, Joseph R. Profaci, who said that Bertolli has been making a push to improve quality.

Surprised no one has mentioned Costco's Kirkand Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Of course it comes in 2L size so have to use regularly as no olive oil ages well.

100% Italian olives - no fillers, grown, pressed and produced in Italy. 

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-extra-virgin-italian-olive-oil%2c-2-l.product.100334844.html

That is the one I use. When daughter was home and she and her husband were cooking dinner, they asked if we had any olive oil. I pulled that monster bottle out and their jaws dropped. :D

Interestingly, there is an organic version that critics rave about, but, while packed in Italy it uses olives sourced from Italy, Spain and Portugal.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:29 PM, Dirtyhip said:

If you have the dough, Arbequina or Arbosana reserve collection.  If you want budget, just go for their 100% California everyday olive oil.  Even their destination olve is fine too.

If you really want something special, try Apollo.  It's curl your toes good.

https://www.apollooliveoil.com/organic-extra-virgin/

Navarino Icons isn't bad either.  Shoot, I could talk about olives all day.  :wub:  It is my wine.

Wow, Apollo is EXPENSIVE!