Square Wheels Cycling

Stinking blood thinners

I got a little scrape on my knee a couple hours ago. It won’t stop bleeding.

FC393D25-0DBE-4DBB-B82A-5AD7CDE3BD25.jpeg.17d060241e5b70bf63a85f661500607a.jpeg

• Sad 3

Yeah keep an eye on that cut...

I helped an older guy on a ride once who got sliced by his chainring on his leg and it wouldn’t stop bleeding.   Had him take a sit and I removed my undershirt for a field dressing (with his permission). He said he was on blood thinners which made sense as that cut wouldn’t stop bleeding.  He refused 911 and called his daughter to pick him up.  It never stopped the 30-45 minutes I was with him.

The putz that caused him to crash just bitched at him while he’s on the ground and rode off...😡

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Dang, that is a pain. They should give you a can of leak seal with that.  

I wonder if Barr’s leak would work?

urgent care my friend. You cannot really risk a set back infection. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

For chrissakes, this is a cycling forum. 

Stan’s or Orange Seal.

Does he have to drink it for best results?

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Does he have to drink it for best results?

Noooo. It goes in through the valve stem.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

little scrape

I'd hate to see what you consider a big scrape.    The more I think about it...  I think @Airehead is probably correct.   You don't need any more issues... 

• Like 1

It really is a little scrape, it just looks bad because it won’t stop bleeding. I cleaned it up awhile ago and it is very minor. Now it’s running down to my ankle again. I wish I had a styptic pencil.

• Hugs 1
12 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The more I think about it...  I think @Airehead is probably correct.   

Pfffft. Don’t listen to her. Ask @Digital_photog He’s an Internet Doctor of Medicine! I know, he posted his diploma earlier.

• Awesome 2
24 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Pfffft. Don’t listen to her. Ask @Digital_photog He’s an Internet Doctor of Medicine! I know, he posted his diploma earlier.

It’s either him or Doctor Mickin.  I hate to think what would happen with an actual cut.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It’s either him or Doctor Mickin.  I hate to think what would happen with an actual cut.

Doctor Mickin has the chemicals to make you a stypic pencil. 

• Awesome 1

My Dad was on those. They prevented clots, but if he got the blood would not seal up. I was on them while in the hospital after my surgery for a preventative. That was my first time. The shot was in the belly.

I take a blood thinner when I travel, I took a shot this Sunday before my 300 mile drive home. 
I have a daily injection I take, and boy did that thing create a world class bruise this time. The bruise is still about 3-4 inches long and 2 inches deep. 

I have a killer platelets.  I'm on blood thinners and I never have any trouble with clotting.  I never did as a child either.  I got thick blood, man.

But it's not cold!!

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I take a blood thinner when I travel, I took a shot this Sunday before my 300 mile drive home. 
I have a daily injection I take, and boy did that thing create a world class bruise this time. The bruise is still about 3-4 inches long and 2 inches deep. 

Sounds like Lovenox, have to keep the needle real straight when giving yourself a shot of that stuff. I had both heparin and Lovenox while in hospital. Now I’m on Brilinta and aspirin. I didn’t take tonight’s dose, I have a doctor appointment in the morning. I think I have the bleeding stopped finally.

• Like 2

They took me off Plavix.  I'm now taking 2 baby aspirin daily.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It really is a little scrape, it just looks bad because it won’t stop bleeding. I cleaned it up awhile ago and it is very minor. Now it’s running down to my ankle again. I wish I had a styptic pencil.

Can you put corn starch on it?

I just read about my doctor visit yesterday. It sounds like I had something going on.

Reason for Visit

Cardiology Follow up
Problem List: 1. CAD. a. CST 10/2/2019: 12:00 Bruce - ABN moderate FIXED mid to distal inferior defect with normal wall motion, EF 46% b. LHC 7/24/2020 i. Left main - no significant angiographic disease. ii. LAD - proximal/early mid 30% narrowing - first diagonal 75-80% narrowing. iii. Left circumflex 75% proximal narrowing - mid marginal branch 80% ostial and 90% after that. iv. RCA - luminal irregularities. v. Ramus - 20% c. PTCA/stent 7/24/2020 of proximal circumflex. 2. Hyperlipidemia a. Declines statin therapy 3. Renal impairment a. Patient refuses nephrology consult 4. CLL 5. Hernia repair/removal (2018) a. Patient went into cardiac arrest. 6. Mild VHD. a. Echo 7/24/2020 with EF 56%, trace MR.
14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I just read about my doctor visit yesterday. It sounds like I had something going on.

:wacko: ....that was about as understandable as the math thread - where no actual numbers were harmed.

• Haha 1

I transcribe echoes all the time but in a little different format. I don't like your ejection fraction, but it does look like it has improved. FWIW.

And it looks like you could use some stations. Lots of blockage.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, smudge said:

I transcribe echoes all the time but in a little different format. I don't like your ejection fraction, but it does look like it has improved. FWIW.

Stations?:scratchhead:  Statins?

54 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

:wacko: ....that was about as understandable as the math thread - where no actual numbers were harmed.

Smudge speaks jive!  Or medicalese I spose. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
47 minutes ago, smudge said:

What is an ejection fraction? I have always wanted one on my passenger seat like James Bond had.

• Like 1

But what did the doc say about your leg

58 minutes ago, Airehead said:

But what did the doc say about your leg

I told him about it. He didn’t look at it. I told him it bled for four hours. He said try direct pressure next time. I need that little red head nurse.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I bet they gave you winter blood at the hospital instead of summer blood

That may be what they did last year after my hernia surgery. That was when my heart trouble all started.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

That may be what they did last year after my hernia surgery. That was when my heart trouble all started.

Those BASTIGES!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Infection???

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Smudge speaks jive!  Or medicalese I spose. 

Isn't anyone going to post that scene from Airport????

sigh........

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Hold the Mayo. Give me Hamm on five.

Hee hee....

On 8/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, Longjohn said:

I have little expertise with cuts affected by blood thinners - my formal coursework and major experiences were in care and prevention of athletic injuries and those teenagers I bandaged, taped, etc. were in great physical shape and not on blood thinners.

I agree with Airehead: those in an urgent care center should be trained in stopping the bleeding, applying a triple antibiotic or other med and proper bandaging.  If, after the injury occurred, it didn't begin slowing after a few minutes and continue to slow down, I'd wrap it in whatever's handy and head for professional help.

Either that of have a dog lick it. :lol:

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
53 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Either that of have a dog lick it.

Now you’re talkin

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, smudge said:

Isn't anyone going to post that scene from Airport????

sigh........

Chump don’t want da help, chump don’t get da help.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Chump don’t want da help, chump don’t get da help.

Well played....

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1