Neighbor war.. let the saga began.

KrAzY

Just now, KrAzY said:

Don’t worry about me, worry for mike.. dude is going to have a stroke when he sees what I have planned :)

I admit you're an evil genius in these matters but just for consideration.....

"Thorny, let's reboot this again. Why don't you bring the wife and kids over for a barbecue next weekend? Bring some burgers and I'll grill them up while everyone has a good time. Kray can get to know your kids and we'll drink lemonade and sing Hellen Reddy songs. MrsThorny has nice tanlines."  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I admit you're an evil genius in these matters but just for consideration.....

"Thorny, let's reboot this again. Why don't you bring the wife and kids over for a barbecue next weekend? Bring some burgers and I'll grill them up while everyone has a good time. Kray can get to know your kids and we'll drink lemonade and sing Hellen Reddy songs. MrsThorny has nice tanlines."  :nodhead:

I heard you don't have casement windows... how could you happily hold a BBQ?
Meh... that does not matter, What time you want us there? 

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

Seems to me it should have ended right there.  Did I miss something?

Oh.. this guy just likes to put weed and grass killer on my yard, empty his pool from time to time with the hose at our fence to flood out our yard, makes snarky comments from time to time about little things that don’t matter and that an HOA would not complain about... nothing much, just the usual jerk neighbor.

for some reason since we are the “new” neighbors (going on about 6 years), he took to picking on us and now leaves the other neighbors alone

• Sad 2

In the interest of you two smoothing out your differences, I will not suggest that you don't clean up after your dogs by not throwing their poop over the fence into his yard.

Nor would I suggest that you don't bury some Exlax into chunks of hamburger and don't throw those over the fence, too, where Kosmo and the little white dog won't get at them.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Gonna be a long one again <deep breath>

So my neighbor Mike decided to be a crotchety old jerk again for no reason. Haven’t talked to the guy since around Halloween (people around here don’t talk to their neighbors... it’s a Texas thing I guess)

Anywho my wife was out working in the garden as my dogs were playing in the yard. Kray (our lab/dobbie mix) like to bark at the other dogs when they are running fast through the yard by her.. more of a Hey.. don’t run into me type of thing. 
after about three or four good barks, he screamed from his back yard “shut your neurotic barking dog up”. My wife in turn yelled back “Shut up Mike”

Well mike didn’t like that.. he ended up texting me about how my dog was outside just barking away and “my wife” did nothing about it. I decided to message back a video from out back yard of my dog being let out, barked a couple times, and then being brought back in. Full video was about 7 min long. She would rather be inside and laying where it is comfy. Also told him She is never out more then 15 min. 
to really poss him off, and it worked... I asked him what he says to the other 5 neighbors that leave their dogs out most of the day as they just run and bark. Sadly he said nothing... so 10 min later I messaged him again asking if it would be alright if we had a neighborhood meeting and we could discuss how we could treat this bad barking behavior of all the dogs, what types of medication we could give them so he could have his quite time during the day when the neighbor kids are screaming at the top of their lungs while playing in the pool or in their yards. Personally I would rather hear a dog bark a few times then the scratching of crotch goblins any day! 
Mike finally wrote back “enough said, just want to be a good neighbor “

I responded with “ within the time you took to respond, Kosmo (his later doodle) and your little white dog barked a total of 43 times. Please control the barking of your dogs. There are good CBD meds on the market for this type of anxiety “

ohhhhh mike did not like that! The next text was “enough said” 

I figured that would have been the end of Mike’s cranky britches bullcrap...nope I was wrong.. he came over into our years and used weed killer of some of our grass... granted he like to maintain a perfectly weed free yard, but ya don’t just up and kill someone’s lawn... ya we got weeds... and we like them because they are green. But he really HATES the clover patches... 

well I got bad news for him... I ordered 5 pounds of white clover.. we are turning our lawn into a bee 🐝 feeding location.. a full lawn of micro white clover over the next couple years.. 

today I will spread it, water it, and give it love... he in return will be hit with trail came footage and trespassing if he destroys any of it.. 

We love our bees, and our garden. 

793F32D3-15DB-479B-8A93-89FFD7676681.jpeg

+1

I see all viewpoints here, but I have questions.

First, is there no fence?  If no, there should be.  You are a neighbor that does his own thing, and as such, you should have a wooden fence, preferably tall.  No access to weeds means no access to weed-killing.

Second, why not just grow dandelions?  That way, you can piss off every person that illogically hates them.  You don't need to buy seeds and they grow easily and no fertilizer is necessary and bees dig them.  All win.

Third, why no back down after the initial point was made?  Nuclear options are best left for nuclear problems, and the guy figured out that you don't give a shit that your dogs bark occasionally.  It doesn't sound like they are out barking all the time, and you know he is now accepting that there will be limited barking and that you are aware and know that there will be limited barking that won't go on to become unlimited barking.  

Neighbors are assholes, and asshole neighbors are to be expected to a degree.  It is good to the limited asshole neighbor that keeps his limited asshole neighbor in check without inciting outright hostility.  I would buy him a Zima and invite him to your wife-swapping parties and make him more of an ally if possible.  Say you have a healthy disrespect for being told what to do and that you have a tendency to make a smoldering pile of weeds into a forest fire if not approached properly about things.

You have to train your neighbor properly, and you have both failed as of now.  Zima makes everything better.  If he is still an asshole afterwards, then go nuclear as hell with a clear conscience.

• Heart 4

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

First, is there no fence?  If no, there should be.  You are a neighbor that does his own thing, and as such, you should have a wooden fence, preferably tall.  No access to weeds means no access to weed-killing.

Second, why not just grow dandelions?  That way, you can piss off every person that illogically hates them.  You don't need to buy seeds and they grow easily and no fertilizer is necessary and bees dig them.  All win.

Third, why no back down after the initial point was made?  Nuclear options are best left for nuclear problems, and the guy figured out that you don't give a shit that your dogs bark occasionally.  It doesn't sound like they are out barking all the time, and you know he is now accepting that there will be limited barking and that you are aware and know that there will be limited barking that won't go on to become unlimited barking.  

Neighbors are assholes, and asshole neighbors are to be expected to a degree.  It is good to the limited asshole neighbor that keeps his limited asshole neighbor in check without inciting outright hostility.  I would buy him a Zima and invite him to your wife-swapping parties and make him more of an ally if possible.  Say you have a healthy disrespect for being told what to do and that you have a tendency to make a smoldering pile of weeds into a forest fire if not approached properly about things.

You have to train your neighbor properly, and you have both failed as of now.  Zima makes everything better.  If he is still an asshole afterwards, then go nuclear as hell with a clear conscience.

I am willing to bet this is his front yard and that is usually unfenced.

We fenced ours in, but we getting grouchy towards the end of our stay here.  We finally got sick of people in our faces.  This is what prompted our move to a larger property.  This way we can fence the entire thing in and not be bothered much at all.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, smudge said:

Seriously, the point was made. It should have ended there. Sorry @KrAzY, but ya gotta know when to say when.

The point was made, and then he crossed the line with weed killer. 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Fence is in place, 8 feet tall. The weed killing is him coming on my front lawn. 
for the second... weeds feed bees, we don’t like pesticides due to our large garden. 
third.. our dogs have full access to our back yard when they want it. An occasional bark is all there ever is. 
there are other dogs in our small location that are left out all day and just constantly bark.. but the problem is he calls animal control on us, starts issues with us about my dog because she is a larger breed and her bark is loud. 
his little ankle bitter is always tipping away but that does not seem to bother him. 

my issue with not letting it die is because in the past we tried to be nice and appease him with his dumb requests.. that only stopped him until he found something else to bitch about. If I back down, then it will be something new next month for him to scream and get angry about. Plus.... I was taught to stand my ground and not back down unless I have too. Sorry, but an older gentleman will not dictate what I can not can not do on my property unless some who the law has to get involved. 

not to mention.. our first year in the house he decided to plant a pecan tree in my front yard.. it was 10 feet over the boundary line.. that’s the type of person I’m dealing with. 
he also complained to the city about my tree in my backyard. The tree is healthy and BIG! He issue is that the leaves get in his pool.. his pool is on the other side of an 8 foot wooden fence without hole and 200 feet from the nearest branch. 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:08 AM, KrAzY said:

G

I figured that would have been the end of Mike’s cranky britches bullcrap...nope I was wrong.. he came over into our years and used weed killer of some of our grass... granted he like to maintain a perfectly weed free yard, but ya don’t just up and kill someone’s lawn... ya we got weeds... and we like them because they are green. But he really HATES the clover patches... 

well I got bad news for him... I ordered 5 pounds of white clover.. we are turning our lawn into a bee 🐝 feeding location.. a full lawn of micro white clover over the next couple years.. 

today I will spread it, water it, and give it love... he in return will be hit with trail came footage and trespassing if he destroys any of it.. 

We love our bees, and our garden. 

793F32D3-15DB-479B-8A93-89FFD7676681.jpeg

HIPPIE!!!!! And recommended in the past by TOH:

18 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Fence is in place, 8 feet tall. The weed killing is him coming on my front lawn. 
for the second... weeds feed bees, we don’t like pesticides due to our large garden. 
third.. our dogs have full access to our back yard when they want it. An occasional bark is all there ever is. 
there are other dogs in our small location that are left out all day and just constantly bark.. but the problem is he calls animal control on us, starts issues with us about my dog because she is a larger breed and her bark is loud. 
his little ankle bitter is always tipping away but that does not seem to bother him. 

my issue with not letting it die is because in the past we tried to be nice and appease him with his dumb requests.. that only stopped him until he found something else to bitch about. If I back down, then it will be something new next month for him to scream and get angry about. Plus.... I was taught to stand my ground and not back down unless I have too. Sorry, but an older gentleman will not dictate what I can not can not do on my property unless some who the law has to get involved. 

not to mention.. our first year in the house he decided to plant a pecan tree in my front yard.. it was 10 feet over the boundary line.. that’s the type of person I’m dealing with. 
he also complained to the city about my tree in my backyard. The tree is healthy and BIG! He issue is that the leaves get in his pool.. his pool is on the other side of an 8 foot wooden fence without hole and 200 feet from the nearest branch. 

Since I know you always appreciate my advice and treat it like gold, how was the barbecue last night? Did everyone enjoy the pink moon and did y'all catch any of the Oscars?  Next weekend consider adding a ping pong challenge with the winner getting to choose strawberry or peach ice cream.  :nodhead:

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I thought the nice, peace loving rational folks here would try to talk Krazy down from the edge, but, no, you want him to escalate this war all the way to the ZIMA level!?!  That's just inhumane!

Well, suggesting pit roasting Kosmo and the other little white dog would likely get this to "inhumane" but tasty territory.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, suggesting pit roasting Kosmo and the other little white dog would likely get this to "inhumane" but tasty territory.

Only if he made it into dog chili and added beans.  Otherwise it would just be a nice, neighborly Vietnamese luncheon.  Without Zima.  That would be inhumane.

13 minutes ago, 12string said:

Only if he made it into dog chili and added beans.  Otherwise it would just be a nice, neighborly Vietnamese luncheon.  Without Zima.  That would be inhumane.

Well, Zima or Coors Lite? Sometimes Zima is sold out :(  And it likely pairs well with the smaller, gamier white dog.

2 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I didn't know the weed killer was after.  How much yard did he weed kill?  An extended perimeter or the whole yard?  Shit move either way.

Ok, escalation.  He is calling animal control, did you say his little yips are going the meet the same fate next time?  Did you say outright that you like your damn weeds and you'll grow as many as you feel like and you really feel like growing them and that you have endless patience when it comes to retribution?  Did you explain how you will amp up ten exponents and maybe preferentially sell to hell's angels or some other meth-head group, or that loud death metal is fast becoming your favorite music and that you will get an ugly-ass RV (redundant, I know - NOBODY wants an RV parked in their neighborhood) and park it on the street in front of their house or in your driveway?  Did you explain slowly and clearly that if he stops, that these things won't happen, and you hold all those things in reserve if he acts in that way again?  

I know the temptation is to flirt with all these ideas.   He isn't my neighbor, and I would try to be nice as possible unless he keeps stepping over the line.  Since it sounds like that is your view of things and if your efforts can be characterized as legal, then have at it.  I do like the meeting of the neighbors to clear the air and say you want to be left alone to enjoy TX as you see fit.

Keep us tuned, this sounds like the beginnings of a fine saga.  Also, cut the tree down that he planted on your property, stake the property line and walk him up and down it for emphasis if you are into that sort of thing, and it sounds like you are ready.  Or try the Zima, that calms everything down and puts everyone in a fine mood.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

First, is there no fence?  If no, there should be. 

I had a summer job for college, installing fences.  That was good work and pay in the mid 70s.   Many (if not most) fences were being installed for neighbor disputes. 

One place...  the neighbors driveway was partially on the guy (installing the fence) land.  We found the survey markings and I told my work partner... this will be interesting. 

The guy's driveway will be about 5 foot wide after the fence was installed.  That's all the room he has on his property.  We marked off the fence post locations and started drilling the holes with the 2 man power auger.  The guy runs out... WTF are you doing?  'Installing fence posts.'   We showed him the survey markings and the locations for the fence posts.  'I won't be able to drive to my garage.'  We told him to move the car now.  He tells us he's going to rip out the posts.  (we install the chain link a week later after the concrete cured)  We talked for a while...  We asked him to let us install the fence, and when the guy signs the paperwork that states the job was done, then he can rip up the fence and we don't have to replace the fence for free.   He agreed.   We got the fence installed.  The paper work was signed, and walking away.  The guy with the skinny driveway was watching from his front porch.   We left...   and we never returned.   Not sure what happened to the fence.   I'll bet it didn't last long.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I didn't know the weed killer was after.  How much yard did he weed kill?  An extended perimeter or the whole yard?  Shit move either way.

Ok, escalation.  He is calling animal control, did you say his little yips are going the meet the same fate next time?  Did you say outright that you like your damn weeds and you'll grow as many as you feel like and you really feel like growing them and that you have endless patience when it comes to retribution?  Did you explain how you will amp up ten exponents and maybe preferentially sell to hell's angels or some other meth-head group, or that loud death metal is fast becoming your favorite music and that you will get an ugly-ass RV (redundant, I know - NOBODY wants an RV parked in their neighborhood) and park it on the street in front of their house or in your driveway?  Did you explain slowly and clearly that if he stops, that these things won't happen, and you hold all those things in reserve if he acts in that way again?  

I know the temptation is to flirt with all these ideas.   He isn't my neighbor, and I would try to be nice as possible unless he keeps stepping over the line.  Since it sounds like that is your view of things and if your efforts can be characterized as legal, then have at it.  I do like the meeting of the neighbors to clear the air and say you want to be left alone to enjoy TX as you see fit.

Keep us tuned, this sounds like the beginnings of a fine saga.  Also, cut the tree down that he planted on your property, stake the property line and walk him up and down it for emphasis if you are into that sort of thing, and it sounds like you are ready.  Or try the Zima, that calms everything down and puts everyone in a fine mood.

1625669886_ScreenShot2021-04-26at6_03_51PM.thumb.png.ae69710436d3a8395756a69e7851aa51.png

He killed about a 1/4th of our side yard that is next to his.. 
Here is a map of our area... my house has the home logo, his house is marked, any house that has dogs are marked, and LAK stands for Loud Ass Kids

here is a satellite image of the area. line indicates how far he came into our yard while we were not home to spray the killer... 1593044042_ScreenShot2021-04-26at6_10_21PM.thumb.png.726bb5ef3b76cb62e4584cd9ab140fd1.png

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I am Canadian, I thought the whole thing was a made up story.  Here we would act like adults, grab a couple beer and walk next door and say "Hows it goin', eh?"  Have a beer and then say "Oh, and my dog is gonna bark some cause he's a dog, and thats what dogs do, and please don't spray shit on my lawn anymore, we dont want it on our property"

Thats the way it was in Ohio and Wisconsin.. got a problem.. meet up and drink it out. 

• Heart 3

59 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

here is a satellite image of the area. line indicates how far he came into our yard while we were not home to spray the killer... 

Wow...

The other way to proceed, is legal and or police.    Local ordnances?   Applying 'chemicals' to property you don't own is a place to start.  Trespassing, etc...

http://www.safegardening.co.uk/can-neighbour-spray-weedkiller-into-garden.html  

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Wow...

The other way to proceed, is legal and or police.    Local ordnances?   Applying 'chemicals' to property you don't own is a place to start.  Trespassing, etc...

http://www.safegardening.co.uk/can-neighbour-spray-weedkiller-into-garden.html  

I have been documenting everything and also keep a file on it with all camera footage from the trail cam I have on the tree. 
I fully know the legal lines I should not get near, but also know the lines I can cross without legal ramifications. 

42 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Maybe try it that way anyway, show a Texan how a civilized person can do it.

look at my avatar, I'm a hillbilly... That makes me not so civilized.. makes me a territorial, moonshine making/drinking, yokel   

This story reminds me of our overbearing neighbor here.  He came into our backyard and used the claw part of a hammer to rip out a bunch of our dandelions, cause he hates them.  I came home and they were all over the place just laying on the ground.  My husband politely asked him to leave our yard alone right after that incident.  He was a helpful person but often went way too far. He hated dandelions.  His wife hated them too.  They called our lawn the weed garden.  

...and our new place has a new neighbor that apparently wants to cut down all my sage.  I am taking some of it out, and I plan to leave some of it and water it so it gets healthier.

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Do you really feel that escalation is the best route for this issue?  I am slightly concerned and worried about you. People are crazier than you might be.

Escalation of the situation is one thing, but I have asked nicely in the past and it was ignored. Issue is he is a person that believes women should be in their place at all times, and he also believes since he has lived here for about 6 more years then we have, that he has a say over the new people in the area. 

I can be nice, I can be evil.. It just depends on what nerve it strikes and how hard you push me

• Heart 1

Is it really escalating the situation if you plant something in your own yard? The neighbor shouldn't have a say in what you plant in your own yard. If @KrAzY were planting it in his neighbor's yard, that would be a different story. I kind of like clover myself. 

@KrAzYPick a four leaf one for me once it's up. My wish is for a fancy new bike. If you find two, my second wish is your neighbor quits spraying your yard.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, BR46 said:

With a few my neighbors we don't have a problem but we drink it out anyway. 

Thats why I miss the great north. ole fashions and fudes.. go into the bar with a grudge, come out with a friend or four. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KrAzY said:

look at my avatar, I'm a hillbilly... That makes me not so civilized.. makes me a territorial, moonshine making/drinking, yokel   

Actually, your avatar looks like an angry elf, or Grumpy from the 7 dwarves, if Grumpy was an ex-con. 

Anyway, it sounds like the neighbor exhausted his chances, and not even whole kegs of charred oak barrel-aged Zima can save him now.  I look forward to the updates!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Then there would be no point in me not suggesting that you don't throw a whole container of Tide pods over the fence and not into his pool, so I won't suggest that.

image.png.0cfef975f5c1f06ea13c2af689e4b850.png

Yeah, don't do this.  It's vandalism of another person's property.

Thad, you know I love ya man, but these posts might inspire badness.

I love a good "My neighbor/coworker/MiL/client/boss is an azz" thread, but the neighbor one really brings a strong example from this winter to mind that showed how poking the wild animals can have TRAGIC consequences.  

There is video of the event, but it is not something you can un-see, so this explains it well enough and has enough "similarity" to KrAzY's story to warrant a bit of concern:

Neighbors told investigators that Spaide and the Goys had been engaged in a long-running feud that reached a boiling point on the snowiest day of the year.

"The Goys were shoveling the snow from their parking spots, shoveling the snow across the road, and throwing the snow onto Spaide’s property," Salavantis and Binker said in their statement.

Witnesses told investigators that Spaide asked the couple to stop, sparking a heated exchange of words. James Goy apparently threw a tool at Spaide that he had been using to clear snow from his car, according to the statement. When James Goy approached Spaide with a raised fist, Spaide reportedly retreated into his house and fetched a gun, the officials said.

"The Goys proceed to yell at him, and, using expletives, the parties called each other names," Salavantis and Binker said in their statement, adding that the episode was captured on surveillance video. "Mr. Goy then threatened Spaide and is seen making obscene gestures at him. Seconds later, Spaide returns holding a handgun."

The officials said despite seeing Spaide with a gun, James and Lisa Goy continued shouting names at him from the middle of the street.

Spaide allegedly opened fire on the couple, shooting both of them multiple times. Officials said Spaide then went back into his house and retrieved another firearm, which he reportedly used to shoot them again.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The officials said despite seeing Spaide with a gun, James and Lisa Goy continued shouting names at him from the middle of the street.

Spaide allegedly opened fire on the couple, shooting both of them multiple times. Officials said Spaide then went back into his house and retrieved another firearm, which he reportedly used to shoot them again.

This is interesting, do we have video of this?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I love a good "My neighbor/coworker/MiL/client/boss is an azz" thread, but the neighbor one really brings a strong example from this winter to mind that showed how poking the wild animals can have TRAGIC consequences.  

There is video of the event, but it is not something you can un-see, so this explains it well enough and has enough "similarity" to KrAzY's story to warrant a bit of concern:

Neighbors told investigators that Spaide and the Goys had been engaged in a long-running feud that reached a boiling point on the snowiest day of the year.

"The Goys were shoveling the snow from their parking spots, shoveling the snow across the road, and throwing the snow onto Spaide’s property," Salavantis and Binker said in their statement.

Witnesses told investigators that Spaide asked the couple to stop, sparking a heated exchange of words. James Goy apparently threw a tool at Spaide that he had been using to clear snow from his car, according to the statement. When James Goy approached Spaide with a raised fist, Spaide reportedly retreated into his house and fetched a gun, the officials said.

"The Goys proceed to yell at him, and, using expletives, the parties called each other names," Salavantis and Binker said in their statement, adding that the episode was captured on surveillance video. "Mr. Goy then threatened Spaide and is seen making obscene gestures at him. Seconds later, Spaide returns holding a handgun."

Tragic.