*** NO SPOILERS ***

Square Wheels

36 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

But it is okay to start a TdF thread as long as we label the thread, "spoiler", right?

Since this is supposed to be a cycling forum, I assume we will be able to discuss the Tour, as long as we properly label the thread.

No

There are sections for that.

Professional Cycling

Cycling News

Both are password protected.  That way they will not show up in the unread topic's feeds.

Thank you

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No

Professional Cycling

Cycling News

Both are password protected.  That way they will not show up in the unread topic's feeds.

Thank you

Remind us of the passwords? Is it F*a*c* , as in the country were this race is being held?

Nevermind, I see it’s listed in the Spoilers section.

37 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No

This is silly, IMO.  Everyone comes here to the Cafe.  We are a bunch of cyclists.  We are smart enough to either open or not open a thread that says "TdF Spoiler". 

What is the point of being on a "cycling" forum if we can't easily discuss the biggest bike race of the year?  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I would tend to agree, and I also think tiny spoilers like “a shit-ton of crashes today” or “it was a mountaintop finish” should be just fine as they don’t ruin anything since no names are mentioned. 

I started one earlier that got removed.  All the title said was, "TdF Stage One".  WTH?  :angry:

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would tend to agree, and I also think tiny spoilers like “a shit-ton of crashes today” or “it was a mountaintop finish” should be just fine as they don’t ruin anything since no names or pertinent data points are mentioned. 

I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend @Square Wheels wishes here. He’s been crystal clear and consistent over the years, and has even created subforum space to cater to this request to post TDF related stuff.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend @Square Wheels wishes here. He’s been crystal clear and consistent over the years, and has even created subforum space to cater to this request to post TDF related stuff.

I do think it stifles the conversation putting TDF talk in the sub forums but I understand why. 

SW forums has SW rules and since he’s gracious enough to set this place up for us we should respect his wishes.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Ok, he reminded us again, but why a password?  And double-why on why a password that nobody knows?  If we go to section to specifically talk about happed in the race as it is happening, a password isn’t necessary, as you know what you are going in to see. 

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Also, why have spoilers be password protected when we don’t know the password?  Why have a password when we know we are going in to talk current tour events anyway?

The password is noted in the forum description? I haven’t tried it, so I’m venturing a guess here. 

F93619F9-BCD8-448D-8484-BA4840D8CA82.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Because they don't make any sense.  If you don't want to see the contents of a thread labeled, "TdF Spoiler", then don't open it.  It's pretty simple stuff, even for cyclists.

I mean, people can leave for 23 days in July if they prefer to bitch, whine and complain about his expectations and criticize his attempts to appease people and yet not have his viewing disturbed. He’s not making you stay, just requesting you follow a few items of decorum.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well I didn’t see it, as this is the forum people go to. I am in favor of removing the need for a password

During Le Tour, anyway. And especially because we like hearing what each other has to say in real time, kinda like the threads about Jeopardy. 

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

So is posting a spoiler or pro cycling topic in the Spoiler or Pro Cycling forum. I don’t see the rub. 

The rub is this place (the Cafe) is where everyone visits.  All those other forums are mostly ignored.  Why send everyone to some other place when we are smart enough to click or not click on a thread right here?

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He’s not making you stay, just requesting you follow a few requests.

So what?  I'm pointing out his mistake.  You can choose to put me on ignore if you like.  Whatever.  His policy is wrong IMO and I have the right to comment on it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Why send everyone to some other place

I can see lots of reasons. Primarily, consider this:  as fast as the Cafe fills with random, slice of life threads, it would be popping if we were all starting a new thread every time we have a unique observation about the TdF. And if this thread is any indication, the discussion gets pointed.  It would crowd other conversation out of a space that’s meant for leisurely browsing and relaxed discussion. 
Let’s just use the sub forum. We know the threads are there and that’s where to get in on it. 

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So what?  I'm pointing out his mistake.  You can choose to put me on ignore if you like.  Whatever.  His policy is wrong IMO and I have the right to comment on it.

I have no intent to put you on ignore, but know that running this forum is at the very least a headache for SW, to the point that he’s actively sought to have some else take over the responsibilities. So even if you feel wronged, maybe this isn’t an argument worth making, all things considered.

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I mean, people can leave for 23 days in July if they prefer to bitch, whine and complain about his expectations and criticize his attempts to appease people and yet not have his viewing disturbed. He’s not making you stay, just requesting you follow a few items of decorum.

But how long are we not expected to mention what happened?  You can easily FF through stages to catch up in a hurry, and tour data is everywhere.  Just go to cyclingnews to get a blow by blow on the day’s stage, and there are hundreds of other sites to get news. It just seems lazy to not know what is happening in the tour, then expecting people to not talk about it because you are lazy. 

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

This is silly, IMO.  Everyone comes here to the Cafe.  We are a bunch of cyclists.  We are smart enough to either open or not open a thread that says "TdF Spoiler". 

There are many viewing options for the site.  I chose the easy way.  I click the "Unread Content" link, then when I finish that thread I simply click the "Next unread topic" link.   There is no way for me to see the Spoiler tag that way.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, he reminded us again, but why a password?  And double-why on why a password that nobody knows?  If we go to section to specifically talk about happed in the race as it is happening, a password isn’t necessary, as you know what you are going in to see. 

Read above.  I use the "Unread Content" option.  If I don't put in a password, the posts are hidden.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

But how long are we not expected to mention what happened?  You can easily FF through stages to catch up in a hurry, and tour data is everywhere.  Just go to cyclingnews to get a blow by blow on the day’s stage, and there are hundreds of other sites to get news. It just seems lazy to not know what is happening in the tour, then expecting people to not talk about it because you are lazy. 

Dammit, I thought that was some good instigating right there, what happened?

This is the first year in a long time (6 years?) that I can watch the tour.  I had just gone to the line by line at cyclingnews and you really picked up quite a lot of nuance as well as great descriptions of how the stage of the day unfolded.  You get the news, then you are caught up for the next stage.   I really can’t imagine why you’d wait, you always have instant access. You can always go back and watch the stages, I don’t really see an issue with finding out tour status in real time. 

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

During Le Tour, anyway. And especially because we like hearing what each other has to say in real time, kinda like the threads about Jeopardy. 

Yeah but I was pretty pissed at you guys for spoiling the end of  what’s his face’s streak last year. Jeopardy comes on at 7 pm Pacific and somebody posted the end of his streak in the title. Freaking blew it for me.  I didn’t have to open the thread to know what happened.

To be totally honest it pissed me off.  I get SW point. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Many people record the TdF, and other races, and watch later, maybe days later.

Don't ruin it for others by revealing details, even if you feel it should be known by everyone already.

Thank you

WAY TOO LATE.  Happens every year, and really not sure why folks do it :(

Seriously, just don't post about day-of-racing except in a CLEARLY MARKED thread (or the spoiler section), and USE THE FUCKING SPOILER option to HIDE YOUR CONTENT.

Example:

Stage One TdF - SPOILER ALERT

Click below to see what I am talking about...

Spoiler

It was blah blah blah.

Jeebus, it is that SIMPLE.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I know no one will care, but the other option for me (since many would rather not comply) is to just abandon the site for a few weeks.

Or BAN for three weeks the folks who do the spoiling.  It isn't hard to stay away from posting a spoiler.

And, please include in the spoiler the folks who embed links with titles/paths that INCLUDE SPOILERS.  Especially when NOT mentioning the thread is a SPOILER.

6 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I would tend to agree, and I also think tiny spoilers like “a shit-ton of crashes today” or “it was a mountaintop finish” should be just fine as they don’t ruin anything since no names or pertinent data points are mentioned. 

Hell no.  I'm already pissed that someone gave hints above as to what country the race is being held in.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Two. Two people would rather not comply. 
Do what you have to do to maintain the integrity of your site. 

Did anyone actually not comply?  This is a conceptual discussion, I didn’t see any real spoilers at all.

Btw, I don’t think anyone really watches the WHOLE recorded  tour, that seems disingenuous at best. I see lots of skipping of most non-climbing stages or fastforwarding, if people are being honest. 

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Did anyone actually not comply?  This is a conceptual discussion, I didn’t see any real spoilers at all.

Btw, I don’t think anyone really watches the WHOLE recorded  tour, that seems disingenuous at best. I see lots of skipping of most non-climbing stages or fastforwarding, if people are being honest. 

Posts were hidden.

I imagine if I were retired I'd watch the whole thing.  I fast forward.  

Today I watched the first half of this morning stage.  Tomorrow I'll watch the second half.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Posts were hidden.

I imagine if I were retired I'd watch the whole thing.  I fast forward.  

Today I watched the first half of this morning stage.  Tomorrow I'll watch the second half.

See, that is just doomed to failure, if you do that you’ll just fall further and further behind.  Why don’t you just read the real-time transcript on cyclingnews, then go back to just the interesting bits and the finish?  I guarantee you won’t feel you missed anything, and you won’t feel that finishing it is an obligation, and you can discuss it in real time.  Lots of win there. At the very least, you will be less stressed about the whole thing. 

I feel like when a spectator does something so egregious to destroy a participants life -- the stupid race becomes secondary. I don't know any of the riders or who crossed the line and I didn't spoil with any names. I just called a twat a twat. Well I didn't even say that but would have felt it warranted. Sorry if I ruined anything for you. I'm just really upset about the self consumed morons living amongst us