How Often Do You Use DOS Commands?

Razors Edge

...or Unix/Linux/whatever?

I rarely do anymore, but I was trying to sort through some files, and wanted a simple list of them, so just jumped in the command line and tip-tap-type, voila. List done. Amazing that the brain still remembers any of that nonsense.

24 minutes ago, groupw said:

Almost daily. IPCONFIG, PING and their relatives help me solve more network issues quickly than almost any other tool I have. 

Not as often as you but I have to do this on occasion when my  video or when I lose connection to my access control systems.

Our IT has a bad habit of re IP’ng a site & not telling me.  I come in to a bunch of lost connection alarms & no video…

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Not as often as you but I have to do this on occasion when my  video or when I lose connection to my access control systems.

Our IT has a bad habit of re IP’ng a site & not telling me.  I come in to a bunch of lost connection alarms & no video…

I remember the old ipconfig and ipconfig /renew or other IP nonsense commands. 

I used to write batch files for loading programs, in to upper memory, etc... back when Windows was first born, and there was limited memory to run programs, etc...  

At home, I used batch files to backup my data files.

I've used ipconfig more than a few times.

Now..  I can't recall the last time I used  DOS command. 

Just now, JerrySTL said:

I just ran my weekly bat file filled with xcopy lines to backup certain files to an external drive.

Before I retired I worked with Unix and Linux systems almost always using command line. 

I was wondering if you miss work.  I use a batch file with rsync to back up files on my Ubuntu machine.

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

I just ran my weekly bat file filled with xcopy lines to backup certain files to an external drive.

Before I retired I worked with Unix and Linux systems almost always using command line. 

An SQL extraordinaire with master CLI skills AND you retired fro IT?? Your moving from my hero to iconoclastic range. 

29 minutes ago, Dottles said:

An SQL extraordinaire with master CLI skills AND you retired fro IT?? Your moving from my hero to iconoclastic range. 

I'd rather go back to turning aircraft on the flightline than doing IT work. Changing a 250 pound wheel and tire assembly was more fulfilling than running a query. 

32 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'd rather go back to turning aircraft on the flightline than doing IT work. Changing a 250 pound wheel and tire assembly was more fulfilling than running a query. 

I’m struggling with my work. I’m finding little meaning in it now. I just don’t care anymore except for the paycheck and bennies and mortgage payment and maybe even a marriage. I mean not much riding on it whilst in the middle of a pandemic and political upheaval. Other than that, it’s great. 

• Sad 1