The SWC 2022 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Road Runner

September running in review. Almost as much walking with the wife as running. Hip flexors were still building strength and I am slowly getting myself to a consistent run not a run/walk/run pace. Today was a good day, hope October continues this trend. Adding a ParkRun 5k every Saturday to build race profile and capability.

Activities     18
Total Distance     49.08

:check:

• Heart 4

18 hours ago, groupw said:

31.5 on the Stradalli. Legs took a while to wake up. Took the selfie around halfway. A few miles later, my rear derailleur cable snapped so I was stuck in high gear most of the way home. I actually set a few PRs just trying to pedal at a comfortable cadence! Legs are dead now. 

I'm guessing that you have newer Shimano shifters and the cable broke at the shifter. Shimano road shifters are well known for doing this. I replace my derailleur cables every year and check for fraying once a month. I had one break on a hilly ride but fortunately the bike had a triple so that helped - some. 

If it happens again, there are a few tricks. One is to turn in the H-limit or high limit screw on the rear derailleur. That might get you an easier gear.

Another is to put something like a stick inside the derailleur cage. That could get you even easier gear.

Last is to wrap the derailleur cable around the water bottle holder after moving the derailleur to an easier gear. The cable isn't too flexible and hard to tie up. I helped a person by loosening up a water bottle screw and pinching the cable under the cage similar to how the cable is connected to the derailleur. 

• Thank You 2

On 10/3/2022 at 6:49 AM, JerrySTL said:

I'm guessing that you have newer Shimano shifters and the cable broke at the shifter. Shimano road shifters are well known for doing this. I replace my derailleur cables every year and check for fraying once a month. I had one break on a hilly ride but fortunately the bike had a triple so that helped - some. 

If it happens again, there are a few tricks. One is to turn in the H-limit or high limit screw on the rear derailleur. That might get you an easier gear.

Another is to put something like a stick inside the derailleur cage. That could get you even easier gear.

Last is to wrap the derailleur cable around the water bottle holder after moving the derailleur to an easier gear. The cable isn't too flexible and hard to tie up. I helped a person by loosening up a water bottle screw and pinching the cable under the cage similar to how the cable is connected to the derailleur. 

I had it happen about 6 or 7 years ago on my old bike. At least it was more flat this time! I’ve had the bike for 5 years. This is the first time it happened. I will take your advice and change out proactively, though. Just glad it didn’t happen the week before on South Mountain!

• Heart 2