The SWC 2022 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Road Runner

19 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Judging by that third photo, you're in Amish country.

The Katy Trail goes through Amish and Mennonite areas and is open to horse riders. However, they aren't allowed to pull anything behind the horses.

Most of my neighbors are Amish. They are good neighbors. I have been lucky, I have not had any flat tires from horseshoe nails. I found a horseshoe on that ride. 

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Having been called out of town for three of the last four weeks my numbers have dwindled.

202 miles since my last post on Sept 6.  :check:

Including my son's first century.  He rode an old beat up mountain bike through university to get to and from school so he would not have to pay for parking.  When he graduated he wanted to fix it up as it was in sad shape, because he said he wanted to commute to his new job, so we bought him a gravel bike for his grad present.

He has ridden it for a couple years and has (for fun) climbed a couple ski hills and did a 60 mile ride.  We talked about him doing a 100 mile ride and it got canceled twice this summer due to work and weather.

He came over this weekend with his bike and it called for light winds and cool temps.  He hadn't trained or prepped for it at all, but he is mid 20s, 150 lbs with about 4% body fat and is super fit, hiking, swimming and climbing all the time.

We set off around 9am with a goal of about 6 hours ride time.  My awesome wife agreed to be our support vehicle and meet us at the 2 and 4 hour marks to resupply our food and drinks.

I had picked a route up along the coast through a few small communities on the seaside and it turned out to be a great ride.  Being 70 lbs lighter than me I quickly learned not to try to keep up with him on the hills.  

We ended up with a ride time of 5:38, and an average speed of 17.8mph.  Next time I will pick a route without 4 hills in the last 9 miles.  Lol.

It was faster than I wanted to go, especially missing the last 3 weeks of riding, but it was fine.  I just canceled my hockey game for tonight.

IMG_3460(1).jpg

He will treasure that photo, Zephyr.

It's always fun to cycle with family members....to share the love of cycling and companionship on the journey. 'Cause he /you journeyed together in life. Glad wife was in all this too.

Like your jersey!  It must get lots of comments.

• Heart 4

:check:15.5 up and down South Mountain. My last 2 attempts were failures one physically, on me. The other, my MTB mechanical failure. I took the Stradalli and just kept it simple. I climbed in the tallest gear I had. I made sure I was breathing comfortably. I was passing riders early and often. A few passed me, but I was passing more. It was not my goal. I was still well within myself, but I was catching them. 
About 2.5 from the top, I passed a guy and he got on my wheel. Can’t really call it drafting, but he was shadowing me. About 1/2 mile from the top, my breathing was very heavy. I took a break and he passed me. Again- no big deal. I finished my ride to the top and took a little break as most riders do. The other rider took off while I was taking some photos at the top. 
I was happy enough to summit, I was mostly coasting down. Even so, about 1/4 the way down, I caught the guy. I really don’t like to crowd on a twisty mountain road so I backed off on a short climbing section to give him room. Once we started descending again, it was obvious I was going to catch him again. I backed off again at a point where the bike/run trail intersects with the road. Apparently it was also Beautiful Woman Sunday on the trail! Having backed off to give him room, I was able to notice! Shortly after, I caught him again. I could hear him on the disc brakes, hard! I was using my rim brakes, but not like that! I yelled I was passing and went by on the inside of a sweeping curve. I could tell he wasn’t pleased but it was going to be more dangerous to shadow him down. The rest of the descent was uneventful. The guy who was parked next to me arrived back while I was packing up. We had a shot but pleasant conversation. 
WoW had hiked while I rode. We went for coffees and pastries. I downloaded my watch to Strava. I PR’d the entire ride! I guess I’m going to have to not try so hard again in the future!

3955C50A-F655-4A6E-A9C1-8712EC87C4E5.jpeg

42A49E76-3D22-4E90-BCF5-F883BBA0B164.jpeg

• Heart 4