Life is uncertain for sure, but this really sucks!

Road Runner

What are the chances?  I would think that being killed by lightning would be more likely.  Some days are bad and other days are REALLY EFFING bad!

From a local TV station:

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) — A man in Williamsburg died after a tree branch fell on his car while he was driving Wednesday afternoon.

Officials say crews from the Williamsburg Fire Department responded to the incident around 3:50 p.m. Wednesday on Jamestown Road near the intersection with Bayberry Lane.

People who live on Bayberry Lane told 10 On Your Side they heard a loud “snap” but didn’t think much of it.

A preliminary investigation of the incident revealed that the 2018 Chevy Malibu was traveling northeast on Jamestown Road when a tree branch fell on the car.

City crews told 10 On Your Side’s Michelle Wolf the limb likely snapped due to strong winds.

The driver, identified as 42-year-old Hakeem Conway, was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger inside the vehicle sustained minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital for further treatment.

• Sad 2

Some years ago a young lady waiting at a light was crushed to death when a large eucalyptus tree snapped and fell on her car.  This was just a few miles from where I live and I drove that stretch of road many times prior to that happening.

Just completely shitty luck…

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That thought always stays with me

So one second, you're driving down the road, obeying all the traffic laws and thinking about what you are going to have for dinner tonight, and the next second, you're crushed flat and dead.  No more dinners for you, ever.  :(

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

So one second, you're driving down the road, obeying all the traffic laws and thinking about what you are going to have for dinner tonight, and the next second, you're crushed flat and dead.  No more dinners for you, ever.  :(

It's no different from going to sleep one night and having a heart attack from which you never wake up.

It's frightening but dwelling on it can ruin your life.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That thought always stays with me

Many years ago when I worked for a living, I was leaving the building when I remembered I forgot something.  After going back to retrieve the forgotten item, I got in my car and headed home.  Just after getting on the interstate, I could see multiple cars crashing about a half mile ahead of me.  I got over to the left and avoided the carnage.  I always wondered what would have happened if I hadn't delayed my trip slightly.  Fate?  Luck? 

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Many years ago when I worked for a living, I was leaving the building when I remembered I forgot something.  After going back to retrieve the forgotten item, I got in my car and headed home.  Just after getting on the interstate, I could see multiple cars crashing about a half mile ahead of me.  I got over to the left and avoided the carnage.  I always wondered what would have happened if I hadn't delayed my trip slightly.  Fate?  Luck? 

Never know the reason you went back in, but yes that's scary to think.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

three goddesses who presided over the birth and life of humans. Each person's destiny was thought of as a thread spun, measured, and cut by the three Fates, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.

In later years fate was renamed "shit happens".

One of my SiL's would say it was simply god's will.  Who are we to question it? And perhaps, we ought to celebrate it? 

I was friendly with a coworker at my former job. She left a few months before I did, A couple  years later she and her husband were killed when a tree came down on their car while they were driving on a local highway. So tragic.  Her children in the backseat were not hurt physically, which was a blessing.

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have been first alternate at two major head on accidents.  In both cases I was barely able to stop short of the crash and was the first person on the scene to render aid.  Missed me by one car position on the road.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

One of my wife’s cow-orkers got a call one morning, her husband was killed on the way to work by a falling tree. I say cut them all down. If anyone plants trees along the road give them a weeks notice to move them or fine them and cut them down. On the paved end of my road are two trees that the power company has cut all the branches except the ones hanging out over the road. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out that is an accident waiting to happen.

• Haha 1

We did a hike on Saturday through a couple local parks.  Whatever storms came through here last week TORE up the trails.  Trees were down all over the place. Massive HEALTHY trees toppled at the roots (soil too saturated?).  None had been trimmed by NPS or trail workers and usually had fresh green leaves.  Other than the derecho we had a decade ago, this was the worst damage I had seen in those parks.  On my ride on Sunday, I saw similar tree damage all along the route.  Most was taken care of already, so no crazy detours required.

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The trail I ride all the time at Godard state park still has a lot of trees over the bike trail that fell across the trail and got stuck on the trees on the other side of the trail. I watch them very carefully when I ride under them.

Bring your chainsaw next time! :D

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Probably not permitted. It is a state park. I thought about asking.

I think, if I had an electric chainsaw, I could pretty easily get away with doing a lot of "pirate" trail work on our local, state, and even national parks here.  Like, I literally see NO "officials" on the places I am hiking or biking, so with a portable chainsaw, I could probably slowly chip away at the downed trees in a pretty stealthy manner.

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

What are the chances?  I would think that being killed by lightning would be more likely.  Some days are bad and other days are REALLY EFFING bad!

From a local TV station:

It happened to our  neighbor lady about 15 years ago. Have heard of more since that time. Not as rare as you would think.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I had a somewhat similar experience.  In July, 1996, a companion and I were on a flight from JFK Airport in NYC across the Atlantic that was 15 minutes behind another flight that left JFK: TWA flight 800.  It blew up and some, including Pierre Salinger, said it was shot down - maybe by accident.

We weren't told about but, when we landed in Amsterdam and changed flights to go on to Athens, keys I had forgotten to leave behind set off the metal detector and a bunch of guards grabbed me.  We thought that was strange.  Then, when we got to our hotel in Athens, about 20 of us who were on the flight and same tour package were ushered into a meeting room where we where told about the TWA 800 crash.

We wondered during 3 days in Athens, 7-day cruise, 3 days in Istanbul, what would have happened if TWA hadn't been in front of us.

On the flight back, Istanbul - Amsterdam - JFK NY, there was a big applause from all the passengers when we touched down in America!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

That almost happened to me when I lived in Jacksonville, NC.

I had my 2 y/o son in the car with me and went to throw some garbage in a county collection bin. Upon returning and back on the primary 2 lane road, in my peripheral vision see a tree falling. It wasn't a sports car (Chevy Nova I think) but I whipped it into a side slide, tires screeching, as stopping as the tree crashed on the pavement about 3 ft away. Stalled out with that maneuver and I look up and see electric wired danglig directly above me as the tree brushed against the them. Desperately trying to restart the car but the carb was flooded. Wires never fell, but at about that time, workers at the business (sorghum molasses still) had witnessed it congratulating me on my driving skill...and helped me push the car away from danger.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1