Is anyone besides me watching the Womens World Cup games?

maddmaxx

I've watched every game so far from the viewpoint of my refereeing days when I did a lot of women's AAU games that were a stepping stone from youth soccer to the higher levels.  The cup expanded to 32 teams in the first round this year and in spite of protestations to the opposite in my opinion the quality of the first round games has suffered.  Additionally, the quality of the refereeing has suffered as well.  

• Heart 2

I haven't been watching them, but I've been following them because I watch BBC World News because it tells you the news instead of dragging the latest hot topic out for hours and barely reporting anything else like ABC, CNN, etc. do.

I know the USA beat Vietnam 3-0 and the New Zealand, who is hosting the tournament, beat Norway 1-0 for it's first ever world cup game win - and they did it at home.  That must have been almost as big a thrill for New Zealanders as the "Miracle on Ice" was when the U.S. Men's Hockey Team's amateurs beat the Soviet Union's professionals at the Lake Placid, NY, 1980 Winter Olympics then beat Finland to win the Gold Medal.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I've watched every game so far from the viewpoint of my refereeing days when I did a lot of women's AAU games that were a stepping stone from youth soccer to the higher levels.  The cup expanded to 32 teams in the first round this year and in spite of protestations to the opposite in my opinion the quality of the first round games has suffered.  Additionally, the quality of the refereeing has suffered as well.  

Nah.  I find it largely unwatchable.  We played better as seniors in high school. 

I do enjoy the LPGA though.  The lack of strength is overcome by shorter holes and finesse. 

I watched the USA Vietnam game. It was sloppy. To me, the level of officiating seemed to necessitate it. I also wonder if the USA was playing down to the level of their opponent. It seemed they were in control of most of the game but a lot of missed shots on goal. 

I'm not a big fan - actually, I'm barely a fan.  I did watch USA-Vietnam and really enjoyed it.  It is the first USWNT or USMNT soccer match I've watched front-to-back.  I peek in on an occasional men's game only when nothing else is on.  I have some background with the game but never developed an interest as a fan.  My Daughter#1 played in highschool and my dad played college at Brown.

My inexperienced eyes thought the officiating was not up to par.  I thought from the first minute that the Vietnam team played like thugs (and their penalty count proved this out).  I enjoyed some of the crisp passing of the US team.  I thought that they better play better going forward.  I thought the left US defender was in over her head.  I thought the US goalie had to be bored!

We were at the Portland Thorns home match Friday when the US-Vietnam match was on. Thorns won handily. All 3  goals scored in the World cup game were by Thorns. Sophia Smith is dominating in the Thorns league. I don't have as much experience to say if she can dominate at the World level. Good start though. 2 in the net Friday

55 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

We were at the Portland Thorns home match Friday when the US-Vietnam match was on. Thorns won handily. All 3  goals scored in the World cup game were by Thorns. Sophia Smith is dominating in the Thorns league. I don't have as much experience to say if she can dominate at the World level. Good start though. 2 in the net Friday

She has all the skills to be the next great US National team star.

Watched several games so far. Officiating is definitely off this year. Overall I think the level of play is where I expected it. Although you have to hand it to Vietnam, they had an exceptional defense clinic. Especially their goalie had probably the toughest match of the ones I've caught. 
The Jamaica v France game was also well played by the rookie team. The ejection for the double yellow card was not correct in my eyes and they'll suffer for the bad officiating for sure with Shaw out next game. 

21 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Yea yea.  We went undefeated my senior year as well with a solid defense anchored by a talented multi shutout keeper who went on to play minor league pro ball before an injury turned him into a referee.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Max, I was just trying to figure out how to make this thread about me.  I see you have one upped me once again.

The kicker places the ball carefully.  backs up, looks at the other corner and takes the penalty shot. The wise old keeper gets the jump and rejects it..  :happyanim: