I got rejected

Airehead

13 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So.. how many times were you bitten?  :(

Prayers for you... 

hmm, 30 years working with kids who use their behavior to communicate. Perhaps a dozen that have broken the skin, of them four or five that I would consider significant as they were on uncovered skin.  If we know there is potential, staff wear bite guards. Last time I was bitten, it was totally unexpected. The bite guards are really hot and you have to then wear a sweatshirt over them. Not really for daily wear in my position. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

We couldn’t donate after going to the Cayman Islands. WoW is type O and got calls from the Red Cross as soon as she was eligible. 
I’m B+. On the lower end of usage. I don’t get calls, but a friend’s daughter was in charge of a drive so I signed up. It was a stressful day and I barely got there in time for my appointment. My BP was too high and they wouldn’t let me donate. I asked them to wait a bit because it would go down, but they wouldn’t. 
Fast forward to spending the night in the ER when I broke my collarbone. I got a couple high readings, but once they got me stabilized and let me relax, it was fine. I know it’s the same reason my HR jumps up quickly when I start to work out even though nothing is stressed. My RHR is around 40. I learned that when I fell asleep on the plane!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, groupw said:

We couldn’t donate after going to the Cayman Islands. WoW is type O and got calls from the Red Cross as soon as she was eligible. 
I’m B+. On the lower end of usage. I don’t get calls, but a friend’s daughter was in charge of a drive so I signed up. It was a stressful day and I barely got there in time for my appointment. My BP was too high and they wouldn’t let me donate. I asked them to wait a bit because it would go down, but they wouldn’t. 
Fast forward to spending the night in the ER when I broke my collarbone. I got a couple high readings, but once they got me stabilized and let me relax, it was fine. I know it’s the same reason my HR jumps up quickly when I start to work out even though nothing is stressed. My RHR is around 40. I learned that when I fell asleep on the plane!

Were they asking if there was a doctor on board?

• Haha 1

Of course you couldn't get this info earlier in the week when you were able to do something about it.  Sorry you're dealing with this, and although it's probably silly to say, try not to think about it over the weekend.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I deal with this a lot actually. 
so you have 3 different tests for hep b. 

Core, Antigen and antibodies. 
a positive Hepb core would indicate that you’ve had a past infection or have developed antibodies at some point either through vaccination or fighting off an infection. 

Postive Hep B antibodies mean that you have antibodies against an infection and are “immune”. 

Pos Hep B surface antigen means you have an actual infection.  

I get antigens on all of my patients monthly. You can absolutely get a false positive antigen from a recent dose of engerix (the vaccine). But the timeline is 2-3 weeks. So if you’re in an injection series I give you your vaccine at the beginning of the month and draw your hep b antigen at the end of the month. It’s a 4 shot series over 6 months. 

highly doubtful that you’ve had a false pos from your immunization 11 months ago. Most likely you have a positive core. 

to answer your question I need to know which test they ran was “positive” for hep B. Monday your physician should order all 3 labs, A hep B antibody, Hep B core and a hep B surface antigen. This will tell you everything you need to know. 

reach out to me if you need some help as I actually do this every month for my patients and deal with it a lot. 

Thank you for this useful information.  I think you are worth your weight in gold. 

• Heart 4

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

This is a portion of the results. 

IMG_1287.jpegYou give blood and get these results fairly regularly? If so, I suspect that it’s a false positive, even though those are now pretty rare. I say that because your surface antigen test is negative, indicating it’s not a current infection. @Parr8hed’s absolutely right, get a full hepatitis panel done. Do they list your liver function test? ASL/ALT, specifically?

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:
15 hours ago, Airehead said:

This is a portion of the results. 

IMG_1287.jpegYou give blood and get these results fairly regularly? If so, I suspect that it’s a false positive, even though those are now pretty rare. I say that because your surface antigen test is negative, indicating it’s not a current infection. @Parr8hed’s absolutely right, get a full hepatitis panel done. Do they list your liver function test? ASL/ALT, specifically?

What he said. 

To summarize, really need to have a result of hep b antibodies to give you a proper answer. The positive core could just be a false positive or you could have had a past infection. It’s possible that you could have a positive core from developing antibodies through vaccination. Like the prophet said liver enzymes (ast/alt) would be helpful here as well as a bilirubin. But the good news is that your surface antigen is negative which indicates that you’re currently NOT infected with Hep B. 

Hope that’s confusing enough for you. 

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

To summarize, really need to have a result of hep b antibodies to give you a proper answer. The positive core could just be a false positive or you could have had a past infection. It’s possible that you could have a positive core from developing antibodies through vaccination. Like the prophet said liver enzymes (ast/alt) would be helpful here as well as a bilirubin. But the good news is that your surface antigen is negative which indicates that you’re currently NOT infected with Hep B. 

Hope that’s confusing enough for you. 

Thank you

• Heart 1

Hep B core is the most common blood donor deferral.

If this is the first time it happened to you,  FDA does not require a deferral. 

Regardless,  I'd suggest waiting a month or so and trying again.  Many things can interfere with this test.  Vaccines,  viruses, allergies...

While it's essentially the same test used to test patients,  it's more sensitive and has more false positives. 

The place you donated should have a reentry policy otherwise they'd go out of business. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Hep B core is the most common blood donor deferral.

If this is the first time it happened to you,  FDA does not require a deferral. 

Regardless,  I'd suggest waiting a month or so and trying again.  Many things can interfere with this test.  Vaccines,  viruses, allergies...

While it's essentially the same test used to test patients,  it's more sensitive and has more false positives. 

The place you donated should have a reentry policy otherwise they'd go out of business. 

Greater Rochester Red Cross