Next year

Square Wheels

I can't believe how my social media feeds have been taken over by posts about Barkley.  It all seems rather unpleasant and pointless to me.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

@Zephyr will do it with me.

I watched the documentary on Barkley a few years ago.  I think the only way I get in is if I get selected as the "Human Sacrifice", and get bib #1 as the person "most likely to not complete one lap"

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

The Barkley Marathons: a race officially consisting of 100 miles (likely a gross underestimation) set out in five 20 mile loops that runners must complete in clockwise and counterclockwise directions. Instead of a marked trail, runners must follow written instructions to navigate through the woods using only a map and compass, finding over a dozen books hidden throughout the forest under rocks, inside tree stumps, and other unlikely locations. To prove that they have followed the correct course, runners must tear out a page from each book that matches the number on their race bibs. There is a 60 hour time limit and each loop must be completed in 12 hours. There are no instructions online on how to enter the race and only 40 people are chosen every year to attempt the challenge. Runners do not know exactly when the race will start on ‘Fools’ weekend’ – signaled by the blowing of a conch and the lighting of a cigarette – but they know that once it does, “help is not coming”. This is the Barkley. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

The Barkley Marathons: a race officially consisting of 100 miles (likely a gross underestimation) set out in five 20 mile loops that runners must complete in clockwise and counterclockwise directions. Instead of a marked trail, runners must follow written instructions to navigate through the woods using only a map and compass, finding over a dozen books hidden throughout the forest under rocks, inside tree stumps, and other unlikely locations. To prove that they have followed the correct course, runners must tear out a page from each book that matches the number on their race bibs. There is a 60 hour time limit and each loop must be completed in 12 hours. There are no instructions online on how to enter the race and only 40 people are chosen every year to attempt the challenge. Runners do not know exactly when the race will start on ‘Fools’ weekend’ – signaled by the blowing of a conch and the lighting of a cigarette – but they know that once it does, “help is not coming”. This is the Barkley. 

bless their hearts

• Haha 2

Did you see the clip of Jared Campbell waiting for Jasmin so that she could choose whether to do the last loop clockwise or counterclockwise?  Clockwise is considered a bit easier and he wanted to help her chances by letting her choose.  I'm glad he finished too.

(Apparently on the last loop, consecutive runners have to go in different directions to make sure they don't team up)

• Heart 1

Wow that looks super tough.  The Army land navigation courses are pretty tough and similarly set up in that they drop you off in a remote area, give you coordinates to find.  OK fine but first you have to find your location, then set off to the coordinate.  The direct route may not be the easiest and the longer route may be more desirable.  Stream crossings, shit can’t cross here, better find another place to cross.  Find that teeny as marker in the middle of the forest, note the next grid coordinate and on you go… 

Our courses were probably more like 10 miles, unless you got lost and then you were walking big miles…

13 hours ago, Further said:

36 years ago I'd a been all over it.

I ever tell ya how good I was....

So you are in for one loop?  I am sure you are as good once as you ever were.  

I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once As I ever was

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kirby said:

Did you see the clip of Jared Campbell waiting for Jasmin so that she could choose whether to do the last loop clockwise or counterclockwise?  Clockwise is considered a bit easier and he wanted to help her chances by letting her choose.  I'm glad he finished too.

(Apparently on the last loop, consecutive runners have to go in different directions to make sure they don't team up)

I thought it was a nice show of sportsmanship.