Why is Hershey's buying black liquorice makers..

Wilbur

• Wilbur changed the title to Why is Hershey's buying black liquorice makers..

Personally, I think black licorice tastes like ass, so maybe they think they are doing the world a favor?  Dunno.

A friend of mine has a favorite ice cream flavor that used to be called 'black-ass licorice', you could get it at only one place in the city.   I tried a taste, and it was by far the least offensive-tasting black licorice thing I have ever had.  

Last time I was in there, they changed the name, though.  I bet somebodies complained it was racist or somesuch.

• Whatever 1

11 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Thanks, mossy!  Great info. But I don’t understand. Usually I would think that Hersheys would jump on using synthetic over natural ingredients!  And I thought another article said there was no real stuff in twizzlers, but maybe red only?  And lawyers should be quick to add warnings. Why resist?  

Black licorice seems to have made somewhat of a comeback after it just about disappeared when I was a kid. They changed to a black chewy anise flavored  licorice after the health risks of regular licorice were determined.

When I used to deliver steel to the port of Baltimore there was a very large building across the bay that said something like National licorice company. I asked the guy who was unloading my truck if that big building actually just did licorice and he said not anymore. They went out of business after it was discovered that you can’t make licorice that isn’t toxic if it is consumed in large quantities.

Anise flavored licorice kinda/sorta tastes like licorice but it’s like replacing coffee with decaf. It just doesn’t cut the mustard.

This post is from my memory and I might not have all the facts straight but licorice has been known to cause health problems for a very long time.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

A lot of stuff can kill you if taken in too large a quantity but they are still allowed to sell it. The thing is you need to know the risks and consume responsibly. Hershey’s apparently didn’t have a warning label on their licorice .

• Heart 1

More than you wanted to know:

than 0.2 g/100 g; yrs, years

Discussion

Licorice toxicity is characterized by the symptom triad of hypertension, hypokalemia, and metabolic alkalosis—so-called pseudohyperaldosteronism. Marked rhabdomyolysis/paresis, cardiac complications, acute hypertension (including posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, PRES), acute renal failure, and respiratory failure have been described as severe manifestations, and eight deaths have been reported. In addition to eating licorice candies, the given causes include the use of herbal medicine preparations, chewing tobacco, and drinking tea and alcoholic beverages. In the majority of cases, there was chronic consumption; individual cases of acute intoxication due to large amounts of licorice have also been described.

The active ingredient in licorice is glycyrrhizin, which is converted to 3ß-monoglucuronyl-18ß-glycyrrhetinic acid (3MGA) and 18ß-glycyrrhetinic acid (GA) in the gut. These active metabolites inhibit the 11ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II enzyme (11ß-HSD2) and prevent the conversion of cortisol to cortisone. Unlike cortisone, cortisol binds to the mineralocorticoid receptor. This cortisol excess leads to increased potassium and proton excretion as well as to sodium and water retention, with increased systemic resistance. The triad of symptoms typical of classic hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome) results from the aldosterone-like effect: hypokalemia, hypertension, and metabolic alkalosis (3).

In licorice toxicity, the aldosterone and renin levels are normal or suppressed, the cortisol-to-cortisone ratio in the peripheral venous blood is greatly increased. The diagnosis of these laboratory values also serves in particular to distinguish intoxication from possible differential diagnoses in the case of a licorice intake of questionable relevance; these include Conn’s syndrome, Cushing’s disease, and renal artery stenosis. Additionally, apparent mineralocorticoid excess (AME) syndrome presents similar laboratory values; however, it usually stems from a deletion in the HSD11B2 gene (16q22) and often manifests in childhood (4). Hypokalemia can lead to cardiac arrhythmia and rhabdomyolysis, which in turn can lead to tetraplegia and paralysis of the respiratory muscles. Myoglobinuria can trigger acute renal failure.

Potassium replacement and lowering high blood pressure are the relevant emergency measures. After samples for hormone diagnostics are taken, administration of mineralocorticoid receptor-blocking agents is particularly effective (e.g., spironolactone or eplerenone). In the majority of our cases, hypertension had previously been insufficiently controlled by medication. In all of our cases, all symptoms were reversible after cessation of licorice consumption, and the antihypertensive medication started previously could be reduced or discontinued. Nevertheless, fatal outcomes are also described in the literature. Toxic effects of licorice consumption occur in certain collectives (including in persons with pre-existing arterial hypertension, presumably due to reduced 11ß-HSD2 activity) even at amounts perceived as being harmless. Loop and thiazide diuretics may potentiate the potassium lowering effects of licorice (of note, four of our patients had been previously medicated with thiazide). Patients with delayed gastrointestinal transit or with anorexia are also at greater risk because of the lower ingestion levels required for toxicity (5). In principle, the study situation on safe dose recommendations is insufficient, and non-daily consumption is also not shown in the available studies.

With this article, we would like draw attention to an underdiagnosed clinical entity that has significant implications for certain risk groups. Clear risk information and clearer labeling of the relevant products – including inclusion in the package inserts for medications – are desirable. Although the health risks associated with the consumption of licorice products have been known since the 1960s, the case reports published in Europe and internationally show that there is still a need for information. Licorice consumption may also play a role in some patients with regard to chronic hypertension, and physicians should therefore specifically ask about it.

17 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They changed to a black chewy anise flavored  l

I don't want anything anus flavored!

I like the ropes they came out with maybe 10 years or so ago, they are vastly superior to regular twizzlers.  

SweeTARTS Cherry Punch Soft & Chewy Ropes Candy, 1.8 oz - Fry's Food Stores

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I love good and plenties!  Dang good!  So are they anise or the killer stuff? :frantics: And even worse, I buy generic unlabeled ones. :frantics:

Looks like good and plenty use the real thing.

Ingredients: Sugar, corn syrup, enriched wheat flour (flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin, mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid), molasses, contains 2% or less of: artificial color (k-carmine, red 40 lake), gum acacia, licorice extract: modified cornstarch, salt, caramel color, resinous glaze, carnauba wax, anise oil, natural and artificial flavor, sulfur dioxide, to maintain freshness.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Looks like good and plenty use the real thing.

Ingredients: Sugar, corn syrup, enriched wheat flour (flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin, mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid), molasses, contains 2% or less of: artificial color (k-carmine, red 40 lake), gum acacia, licorice extract: modified cornstarch, salt, caramel color, resinous glaze, carnauba wax, anise oil, natural and artificial flavor, sulfur dioxide, to maintain freshness.

Uses both, for good measure! :o No wonder it is so damn good!

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

It's like John D. Rockefeller buying up oil refineries then shutting them down to drive up the price of kerosene, etc.

Do they make kerosene flavored licorice?  Might be better than black licorice. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

More than you wanted to know:

than 0.2 g/100 g; yrs, years

Discussion

Licorice toxicity is characterized by the symptom triad of hypertension, hypokalemia, and metabolic alkalosis—so-called pseudohyperaldosteronism. Marked rhabdomyolysis/paresis, cardiac complications, acute hypertension (including posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, PRES), acute renal failure, and respiratory failure have been described as severe manifestations, and eight deaths have been reported. In addition to eating licorice candies, the given causes include the use of herbal medicine preparations, chewing tobacco, and drinking tea and alcoholic beverages. In the majority of cases, there was chronic consumption; individual cases of acute intoxication due to large amounts of licorice have also been described.

The active ingredient in licorice is glycyrrhizin, which is converted to 3ß-monoglucuronyl-18ß-glycyrrhetinic acid (3MGA) and 18ß-glycyrrhetinic acid (GA) in the gut. These active metabolites inhibit the 11ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II enzyme (11ß-HSD2) and prevent the conversion of cortisol to cortisone. Unlike cortisone, cortisol binds to the mineralocorticoid receptor. This cortisol excess leads to increased potassium and proton excretion as well as to sodium and water retention, with increased systemic resistance. The triad of symptoms typical of classic hyperaldosteronism (Conn’s syndrome) results from the aldosterone-like effect: hypokalemia, hypertension, and metabolic alkalosis (3).

In licorice toxicity, the aldosterone and renin levels are normal or suppressed, the cortisol-to-cortisone ratio in the peripheral venous blood is greatly increased. The diagnosis of these laboratory values also serves in particular to distinguish intoxication from possible differential diagnoses in the case of a licorice intake of questionable relevance; these include Conn’s syndrome, Cushing’s disease, and renal artery stenosis. Additionally, apparent mineralocorticoid excess (AME) syndrome presents similar laboratory values; however, it usually stems from a deletion in the HSD11B2 gene (16q22) and often manifests in childhood (4). Hypokalemia can lead to cardiac arrhythmia and rhabdomyolysis, which in turn can lead to tetraplegia and paralysis of the respiratory muscles. Myoglobinuria can trigger acute renal failure.

Potassium replacement and lowering high blood pressure are the relevant emergency measures. After samples for hormone diagnostics are taken, administration of mineralocorticoid receptor-blocking agents is particularly effective (e.g., spironolactone or eplerenone). In the majority of our cases, hypertension had previously been insufficiently controlled by medication. In all of our cases, all symptoms were reversible after cessation of licorice consumption, and the antihypertensive medication started previously could be reduced or discontinued. Nevertheless, fatal outcomes are also described in the literature. Toxic effects of licorice consumption occur in certain collectives (including in persons with pre-existing arterial hypertension, presumably due to reduced 11ß-HSD2 activity) even at amounts perceived as being harmless. Loop and thiazide diuretics may potentiate the potassium lowering effects of licorice (of note, four of our patients had been previously medicated with thiazide). Patients with delayed gastrointestinal transit or with anorexia are also at greater risk because of the lower ingestion levels required for toxicity (5). In principle, the study situation on safe dose recommendations is insufficient, and non-daily consumption is also not shown in the available studies.

With this article, we would like draw attention to an underdiagnosed clinical entity that has significant implications for certain risk groups. Clear risk information and clearer labeling of the relevant products – including inclusion in the package inserts for medications – are desirable. Although the health risks associated with the consumption of licorice products have been known since the 1960s, the case reports published in Europe and internationally show that there is still a need for information. Licorice consumption may also play a role in some patients with regard to chronic hypertension, and physicians should therefore specifically ask about it.

Ya know, you could have just said it tastes like ass.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

The good stuff...

image.thumb.png.c288d910c6ae2fad3d12005af8888856.png

Sadly, or maybe not, most licorice has wheat as the primary ingredient.

Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, & Folic Acid), Sugar, Water, Cane Syrup, Dextrose, Rice Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Modified Food Starch (Corn), Licorice Extract, Palm Oil*, Natural Flavor, Glycerine, Soy Mono & Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Still waiting for @ChrisL to pop in!

And, "Liquor Ice" reads like a Zima competitor, eh?  @Randomguy??? 

Most here don’t like black licorice so like most things discussed here, if certain people don’t like something, they are universally unlikeable so I didn’t  bother…

I have tried the Wallaby licorice and TBH don’t care for the texture, they remind me of twizzlers which I also don’t care for.  I do like black jelly beans and of course Dutch drop.  Black “Red Vines” are also good but hard to come by.

Call me weird or maybe just call me Dutch.  We consume a vast majority of black licorice world wide. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Most here don’t like black licorice so like most things discussed here, if certain people don’t like something, they are universally unlikeable so I didn’t  bother…

I have tried the Wallaby licorice and TBH don’t care for the texture, they remind me of twizzlers which I also don’t care for.  I do like black jelly beans and of course Dutch drop.  Black “Red Vines” are also good but hard to come by.

Call me weird or maybe just call me Dutch.  We consume a vast majority of black licorice world wide. 

I am universally unlikeable?  yay

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Most here don’t like black licorice so like most things discussed here,

Just weird people and women.  Women don't like black liquorice. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

they are universally unlikeable so I didn’t  bother…

You are universally liked here. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

have tried the Wallaby licorice and TBH don’t care for the texture, they remind me of twizzlers which I also don’t care for.

Same.  Some of the Aussie stuff is just a sticky mess.  I prefer dry, not hard liquorice, preferably less sweet than most commercial stuff. 

19 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

How can you be so objectively wrong so many times? :)

You've been a good teacher.

That and I don't know a single woman personally that likes it. 

• Black licorice is most disliked by young people (48% among those 18 to 54 versus 37% for those ages 65 and older) and women (54% versus 35% for men).

• Thank You 1