Unusual Landmarks You Have Seen

Road Runner

I drove to vegas often and there is that giant thermometer in Baker CA along I 15.  If my kids were with me we'd all guess the temp. If i drive it solo I'd call my kids and make them guess. They thought it was fun until they became teenagers..

• Awesome 1

We saw this on 1 of the San Juan Island, Washington state a few years ago.  There were also broken mussel shells along the way, since the seagulls were eating a lot. Careful for bike tire punctures.

2nd photo, while we were cycling in Germany, going through a very tiny quiet and historic town, we saw....a stork near its nest.

strangesculpture.jpg

Stork sighting. Bodesweier, Germany June 2010. Photo by HJEH Becker

The first time we drove past the Air Force Memorial on I-95 in Arlington, Virginia just south of Washington, D.C. we had no clue what it was or even if it was permanent.

The spires, 201 to 270 feet high, represent the contrails of the Air Force Thunderbirds as they disperse in a "bomb burst" maneuver:

1362433873_AirForceMemorial.jpg.ced8f5af977108068d253035fb7ebb73.jpg

In my home state of Maryland there is a giant mosquito sculpture welcoming you to Dorchester County Maryland.  The mosquitos by the way are salt water--- ouch.

I have always been fascinated by the McKinley Coffee Break monument in Sharpsburg, Md.  Also in BErlin, MD the cowboy with ice cream.

mckinley.jpg

berlin.jpg

• Heart 1