Why would you live in the west? (Western related)

Randomguy

So I bought an antenna, and it works.  Now I get channels. One of the channels is for old people and it is entirely westerns, the channel is called 'Grit' or somesuch.

Anyway, the west didn't look so good.  It seems entirely populated by bad guys and malevolent gunslingers, with just enough honest guys to put up a fight while getting constantly crapped on.  There are few women, and the women that are there are whores or prudes that are uninterested in almost all men.  People drink a lot, and it doesn't look super enjoyable.  Disagreements were solved by shooting.

This last part sounds really appealing, though.

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So I bought an antenna, and it works.  Now I get channels. One of the channels is for old people and it is entirely westerns, the channel is called 'Grit' or somesuch.

Anyway, the west didn't look so good.  It seems entirely populated by bad guys and malevolent gunslingers, with just enough honest guys to put up a fight while getting constantly crapped on.  There are few women, and the women that are there are whores or prudes that are uninterested in almost all men.  People drink a lot, and it doesn't look super enjoyable.  Disagreements were solved by shooting.

Hollywood likes to glamorize that era.  It was a very difficult time.

One of my wife's favorite channels, but then again, you said it was for 'old people'.  Some of those on the channel, we actually saw at the movie theater. Death Valley Days was a must see on black and white tv. I assume people came west for freedom and a 'better' way of life.  Some were probably escaping their past, and we know many came to get rich with the gold strikes. Tough for you to make comparisons to life this day and age, as those folks did not have a glimmer of the life you lead today.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

One of my wife's favorite channels, but then again, you said it was for 'old people'.  Some of those on the channel, we actually saw at the movie theater. Death Valley Days was a must see on black and white tv. I assume people came west for freedom and a 'better' way of life.  Some were probably escaping their past, and we know many came to get rich with the gold strikes. Tough for you to make comparisons to life this day and age, as those folks did not have a glimmer of the life you lead today.

I do like the westerns.  Something about the pacing and the lack of ‘spectacular’ special effects just works.  Plus the landscape. 

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I watch Grit TV sometimes.  Of course, the stories have virtually nothing to do with reality.  Research has NEVER found a single instance where two guys actually drew on each other in reality in the West, but there's usually at least one of those in each episode of Laramie, Tales of West Fargo, Zane Grey Theater, etc.

But some didn't have a lot of killing, like Death Valley Days. I liked the episode of Death Valley Days where Marlo Thomas made her TV acting debut, playing the daughter of a charcter played by her real-life-father Danny Thomas.  A con-artist almost marries and causes the death of Marlo's character, but she makes her father promise, as she's dying, to not kill the con-artist, invoking a solemn "Honor Bright" code they had between them.  Danny Thomas's character tricks the con-artist into killing him - guaranteeing he'd be hanged - and as Danny Thomas's character is dying he says he never killed the con-artist as promised and his last words are "Honor Bright."

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Daughter#2 is in Austin for a week of visiting.  She has ben texting pic of her adventures in the city.  There appears to be lots of hippies in Austin.

Sadly true. Austin in the San Francisco of Texas.  I sort of blame Willie Nelson for this.  He smokes so much weed it is like moths to a flame.

• Heart 2