Facial Coverings Mandatory in LA

ChrisL

There have been several discussions on should we or shouldn’t we cover our faces but more places in SoCal aren’t giving people a choice.

Riverside County made facial coverings in public mandatory earlier this week and the city of Los Angeles as well as San Bernardino County are making the wearing of facial coverings in public mandatory this week.  No word yet on  LA County nor Orange County where I live but it wouldn’t surprise me if it becomes mandatory.

We already masked up so no big deal for me should it become mandatory where I live.  Are any of you seeing similar requirements to cover faces in public?

• Haha 1

Seeing more masks every day.   I do not get out that much, ran to the office and saw a few masks and gloves there.  Have seen people walking in the hood masked up.    When I have been in stores, I see some in masks and gloves, but I would say they are in the minority here still.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

So is the county providing them then?  If they are not, Fuck em.

No, you have to source your own.  But again a bandana or tshirt pulled up over your nose would technically satisfy the requirement.  It’s not requiring a “mask”.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I applaud California's stance on this.  They have been aggressive from the beginning.

There was an article comparing CA and NY Governors responses and their impact to the outbreaks.   I don’t know if you can make an apples to apples comparison between the two states but at the beginning of March both states had similar numbers of CV19 positives and now NY has nearly 10X the number of positives and far more deaths.   It then went on to the differences in responses between the governors.

It did put our response in a positive light compared to NY.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

No, you have to source your own.  But again a bandana or tshirt pulled up over your nose would technically satisfy the requirement.  It’s not requiring a “mask”.

T-shirt like that does absolutely nothing.  Don't have bandanas and government can't mandate you buy a product just for living.

Fuck em.

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

There was an article comparing CA and NY Governors responses and their impact to the outbreaks.   I don’t know if you can make an apples to apples comparison between the two states but at the beginning of March both states had similar numbers of CV19 positives and now NY has nearly 10X the number of positives and far more deaths.   It then went on to the differences in responses between the governors.

It did put our response in a positive light compared to NY.

When it started breaking out in our two states, it was hitting harder here at the time but my first thought -- and probably most of America's -- if this thing hit the population of California -- you guys are doomed.  We're no small change up here but nothing like you guys down there. I can't complain really about our governor -- he's taken it serious from the start but our stay out home order came a week or two later than yours.  And I'm sure that was a tough position to hold at the time this was just catching a foothold. So well done.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

When it started breaking out in our two states, it was hitting harder here at the time but my first thought -- and probably most of America's -- if this thing hit the population of California -- you guys are doomed.  We're no small change up here but nothing like you guys down there. I can't complain really about our governor -- he's taken it serious from the start but our stay out home order came a week or two later than yours.  And I'm sure that was a tough position to hold at the time this was just catching a foothold. So well done.

Let’s just say I didn’t vote for our governor but I’ll admit he has handled this well.  

LA is several thousand square miles. (4000)  NYC is a few hundred. (300)

LA has a population of almost 4 million.  NYC is over 8 million.

An infectious virus loves population density

IMO the bulk of the virus is in those two cities and consists of most of each states difficulty.

New Jersey is instituting mandatory facemask rules for people out in "essential shops"

https://abc7ny.com/health/were-not-at-any-plateau-murphy-says-as-nj-death-toll-surges/5987040/

To mitigate overcrowding at essential retail stores, particularly in grocery stores, Gov. Murphy has ordered all essential retail to indefinitely limit the number of customers allowed in their stores to no more than 50% of their approved capacity. Customers and employees must wear face coverings. Stores must also provide special shopping hours for high-risk individuals, erect physical barriers between customers and cashiers and baggers where practicable and regularly sanitize areas used by their employees.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

LA is several thousand square miles.  NYC is a few hundred.

LA has a population of almost 4 million.  NYC is over 8 million.

An infectious virus loves population density

Yeah that’s why I tried to qualify my post with not able to make apples to apples comparisons.  The population density is different.  We are more spread out for sure.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah that’s why I tried to qualify my post with not able to make apples to apples comparisons.  The population density is different.  We are more spread out for sure.  

And because of that NYC focuses on public transportation and LA focuses on filling up the highways with personal vehicles.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And because of that NYC focuses on public transportation and LA focuses on filling up the highways with personal vehicles.

For sure, all of SoCal not just LA.  But did you guys see the recent reports that LA had the cleanest air in the nation?   Due to so few cars on the road right now and a “winter” storm that is blowing what little crud in the air east over Riverside & San Bernadino counties ! 😂😂😂

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

For sure, all of SoCal not just LA.  But did you guys see the recent reports that LA had the cleanest air in the nation?   Due to so few cars on the road right now and a “winter” storm that is blowing what little crud in the air east over Riverside & San Bernadino counties ! 😂😂😂

I saw a couple before and after pics.  Looked just like the before and after pics of Wuhan.

6 hours ago, Indy said:

So is the county providing them then?  If they are not, Fuck em.

I have an old Halloween mask. Maybe I’ll wear that to the store. I got busy this morning and forgot to call in my grocery order for delivery. My wife thinks it will be ok to make a grocery run in the AM.

I was in my LGS (the gas station) when someone came in wearing a mask and joked  with the attendant "Give me all your money".   Maybe the person was a regular and they knew them well, but that sort of joke could get someone in trouble.

In Maryland, if you don't listen to the Q & A session after he explains the latest set of rules so you hear all the allowed exceptions to policy, it gets confusing.

The Governor of Maryland is urging everyone to voluntarily wear face masks, but the State's online FAQ almost discourages it:

Should I wear a face mask?  CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms.

Also, the Governor said for your physical or mental health, go for a walk or walk your dog, but the State's online FAQ says:

Am I allowed to leave the house? Yes, Marylanders are allowed to go to an essential job or leave the home for an essential reason, such as obtaining food or medicine, seeking urgent medical attention or for other necessary purposes.

Way down in the same FAQ list:

Can we go for a walk or run around the neighborhood? Yes, but do not congregate with neighbors while you are outside. Wave and smile and continue on your way.

Can I go to a park? Yes, you can go to a park that is open, but do not gather in a group with others once you are there. It is good to get exercise and fresh air, and to take a pet on a walk, but stay at least six feet away from others.

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

I was in my LGS (the gas station) when someone came in wearing a mask and joked  with the attendant "Give me all your money".   Maybe the person was a regular and they knew them well, but that sort of joke could get someone in trouble.

And then there is this perspective...    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/us/face-masks-ethnicity-coronavirus-cdc-trnd/index.html

13 hours ago, Kirby said:

Or a tidy windfall!