Riding a bike is too much work

Square Wheels

Just now, Square Wheels said:

When I run, I toss on a pair of shorts, sneaks, off I go.

To ride, I need a water bottle, pump up tires, make sure Gamin thingies are charged, take phone, put on complicated bibs...

Darn ankle.

You're doing it wrong?

Tossing on shorts is the same either way.

Putting on shoes is the same either way.

Tires don't need pumping for every ride and that can be done after a ride.

Garmin watch vs cycle computer? No difference.  Use your watch.

No need for a water bottle if you don't want one.  A three mile run is what, 20-30 mins, so on the bike you ride what 1 hour?  No need for water on that length ride.

As a fat guy, bibs stay up better, a lot more work to put on than shorts.

Garmin 1000 for riding, watch for running.  Varia for the tail light.

I could go without water for riding.

I dress warmer for rides.  Today will be in the upper 50s.  I'd run in shorts and a short sleeve shirt for that.  For riding, I'd wear a lot more clothing as I need to factor in 40mph winds.

I'll just ride in the basement - THOSE MILES COUNT!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

To ride, I need a water bottle, pump up tires, make sure Gamin thingies are charged, take phone, put on complicated bibs...

Darn ankle.

I have to make sure I don't forget my bike shorts, else I get spanked by my saddle too much.

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Darn ankle.

I’m with you on this.  Running always seemed more simple to me.  Less prep for sure.

I always loved the simplicity of running.

• Heart 1

I was laughing at myself at the amount of prep for a MTB shralp.

KT tape for protection from this rough spot on my knee pads that likes to rub my knee skin off.

Knee pads.

High socks, and an ankle brace for the right foot.

liner shorts, durable outer shorts. 

camelback

Prep the chain by cleaning it and then relube

pump up tires to perfect pressure

wipe down all my stanchions.

check pressure of shocks, forks and seat post dropper (this is not done every ride)

I sometimes bring a Garmin, sometimes I don't.  This never holds me up from a ride.

• Heart 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

KT tape for protection from this rough spot on my knee pads that likes to rub my knee skin off.

Knee pads.

camelback

check pressure of shocks, forks and seat post dropper (this is not done every ride)

I sometimes bring a Garmin, sometimes I don't.  This never holds me up from a ride.

And right there is the difference.  You laugh and SW whines.

• Heart 1

But think of the old Mazda Wankel engine ads, you wanker! (if you are old enough, you might not be. :D ) Running goes boing boing boing boing, cycling goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

For me it is between the chaise lounge and bike.  The dawg needs to walk so that is easy, but it is a tough battle for me to gear up and ride when I could be lounging. :D  :(

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

As a fat guy, bibs stay up better, a lot more work to put on than shorts.

I'll just ride in the basement - THOSE MILES COUNT!

:speedy:

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Leg in, other leg in, strap over shoulder, and strap over other shoulder.  Seems like an extra 2 seconds to me.

...+1. If it's really that much more complicated for you to put on bib shorts, Wheels, It's probably safer for everyone if you ride in the basement.

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I hear you, I hate gearing up for cold weather riding.  Too many layers.

I get all sweaty, whatever exercise I do, so it's a lot more laundry too.

It's in the 40s now, high of 60 in the afternoon, but I want to ride now to get it over with.

Looks like the basement it is.

I will run tomorrow or Monday. 

Keeping the exercise streak alive!

23 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Knee pads.

camelback

going downhill is complicated :blink:

On 9/18/2020 at 7:03 AM, Square Wheels said:

Darn ankle.

...at least half the people I know who are now on bikes as their regular exercise gig, are ex runners who blew out a knee or ankle, or somehow gave themselves chronic repetitive stress injuries from running. Just sayin' once again that running is stupid.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...word.  As long as you don't mind getting beat up beyond all reason, downhill is great fun.  It's the falling off that ruins it for a lot of us. :( 

I think so too.  The sad thing, every strong cyclist learns the hard way.  It's a real shock and at some point, if one doesn't pay attention, one won't heal back to same strength /without some lingering pain...for years afterwards.

It hasn't happened to me yet but given my build and type of light bone structure, I want to cycle long and often, not schrlaping down the technical hills.  I leave that to DH to discover the future.

I had my collision & concussion, several falls on ice in the past 15 yrs. That's enough.  And despite that, I'm still cycling..because I'm not out to feel daring...I'm out for my body to enjoy, de-stress, get some endorphins, etc.  I used to think people moderating to avoid broken hips, were whimps.  No, I have to rethink this.  It's myself that wants to avoid that possibility as long as I can/I make good choices how and where I go cycling.

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...at least half the people I know who are now on bikes as their regular exercise gig, are ex runners who blew out a knee or ankle, or somehow gave themselves chronic repetitive stress injuries from running. Just sayin' once again that running is stupid.

I'm careful not to tell enthusiastic runners that running is stupid.  I couldn't tell my sister that nor a good friend who also bikes for transportation, does some weightlifting in her early retirement @63 yrs. She's smaller/slimmer than I.

My sister just couldn't switch to cycling..she thought it wasn't enough of a workout.  B)This is after she spent 2 yrs...trying to heal her back injury.  She is 56 yrs., mother of 3 adult children. She ran a marathon....about 25 yrs. ago. She is in good shape ..after the reality of bearing 3 children.

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

:( But the weather is perfect!

Too cold.  In the 40s I would have used my leg warmers, plus multiple layers on top, gloves, ear protection.  If I had run, I would have worn shorts and a sweatshirt.  I rode in the basement.

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

It's not stupid.  No idea what happened to the ankle.  Riding is really hard on my butt.  I've spent a crazy amount of money trying to remedy it.  The last time I worked on it was about 1000 dollars in fitting fees and bike part adjustments.  Didn't notice a difference.  The fitter was astounded at the amount of pressure I put on the saddle.  Didn't matter what position he got me in to or how hard I peddled.  At least twice the pressure he anticipated, at times much more than that.

I don't really get to choose the sport I do for exercise.  I can't be in constant pain when riding, I really dread that.  Until recently, running was working out great.  For now, I will mix it up with running and riding.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Too cold.  In the 40s I would have used my leg warmers, plus multiple layers on top, gloves, ear protection.  If I had run, I would have worn shorts and a sweatshirt.  I rode in the basement.

It's not stupid.  No idea what happened to the ankle.  Riding is really hard on my butt.  I've spent a crazy amount of money trying to remedy it.  The last time I worked on it was about 1000 dollars in fitting fees and bike part adjustments.  Didn't notice a difference.  The fitter was astounded at the amount of pressure I put on the saddle.  Didn't matter what position he got me in to or how hard I peddled.  At least twice the pressure he anticipated, at times much more than that.

I don't really get to choose the sport I do for exercise.  I can't be in constant pain when riding, I really dread that.  Until recently, running was working out great.  For now, I will mix it up with running and riding.

...did the fitter mention that you only have so much weight to transfer to the bike, and you do it through the contact points of your hands, feet, and ass ?

If you are pushing down with too much of your weight on the saddle, and you want to change that, it has to get redistributed to the hands and feet.  I learned this in physics.:)

And for a person my size, height, and with my arches, running is stupid...although I did it for many years.  I used to run with a jump rope and alternate skipping sprints with jogging when I worked for fire. That was stupid.:facepalm: