Why do some of your photos show as little blue squares?

sheep_herder

15 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Wow, a lot of help this morning. I would have preferred being ignored.

I think if it is an older post, some of those attachments may have been removed to clear space when SW asked us to do some house cleaning.  Alternately, it may be an extension that the software doesn't like, but you can't tell until you post because it looks normal when you post it.  I hope this helps!

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Examples?

Sometimes people post their Google pics, but the album is not public.  It looks OK for them, but the rest of us see a broken image.

Have to wait until it happens again. Usually when it happens, I just move along to something else.

Usually wrong file format, but at times can be too large or small. For those I personally take, for web downsize to 1500 to 2500 pixels on the long side as the native 7200 pixels is just too large. For file type, always jpg, but have noticed recently that sometimes jpg is some unique version. Never attempt to post RAW, tiff, png and others. Recently, when snagging a photo online that would be 'funny' to post, have noted that was jpg, but during the download process became jpgf. Had to load it into Photoshop then "Save As" to convert back to genuine jpg.

• Thank You 1

I just saw my first blue square in the walking in cemeteries thread. :nodhead:  I wonder if this is like spotting a certain make of car once you buy that car.  Were there always blue squares and I just didn't notice them until I read this thread? :scratchhead:

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Most come through OK, but some are just little single blue squares. Too bad, as some I would like to see.

It is most likely an image upload failure-- if an image either fails to load on your computer or fails to fully upload onto the forum, you might be seeing those squares. The next time you see them, could you send a screenshot of what they look like?

As for a fix-- try staying on the page until you are sure the image is uploaded, and maybe even a bit longer. Otherwise it may be a problem on the forum software's end with handing a lot of images. We like images here. :)

4 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Usually wrong file format, but at times can be too large or small. For those I personally take, for web downsize to 1500 to 2500 pixels on the long side as the native 7200 pixels is just too large. For file type, always jpg, but have noticed recently that sometimes jpg is some unique version. Never attempt to post RAW, tiff, png and others. Recently, when snagging a photo online that would be 'funny' to post, have noted that was jpg, but during the download process became jpgf. Had to load it into Photoshop then "Save As" to convert back to genuine jpg.

Also possibly this!

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I just saw my first blue square in the walking in cemeteries thread. :nodhead:  I wonder if this is like spotting a certain make of car once you buy that car.  Were there always blue squares and I just didn't notice them until I read this thread? :scratchhead:

Not at all the same. The ones I see are very small and  centered in the image box.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Not at all the same. The ones I see are very small and  centered in the image box.

If you press SHIFT+Windows Key+S, you should be able to drag a box around the blue square you're seeing. And then try clicking into a new forum reply and pressing CTRL:+V. If we can see what you see it might give some hints!

2 hours ago, Redfacedwalrus said:

It is most likely an image upload failure-- if an image either fails to load on your computer or fails to fully upload onto the forum, you might be seeing those squares. The next time you see them, could you send a screenshot of what they look like?

As for a fix-- try staying on the page until you are sure the image is uploaded, and maybe even a bit longer. Otherwise it may be a problem on the forum software's end with handing a lot of images. We like images here. :)

Also possibly this!

Blue takes the square.