I've ridden 100,000 miles

bikeman564™

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

:happyanim: I have bike logs back to 1992, and today's ride put me at 100,001 of recorded miles. I rode prior to that but have no records.  I must say, it's flippin' cool to have ridden that much :D

Man, that is wicked AWESOME :happyanim:  :cheerleader:

I think I could drag out some old logs and get to 50k or maybe 60k, but with negligible miles in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I don't think 100k would be anywhere in reach.   Strava miles (2011 and on) are at 37k, and before that was Garmin's app on my PC.  Before that was a little spiral notebook.

• Thank You 1

Nice job!

I have records back to 96 when I got my first road bike totaling 89,000 miles. But I was riding the river trail back in 1992 doing 25-60 mile rides on a Huffy MTB and a hybrid starting in 94. Lost totals but oh well. :D

Does anybody remember the old Bicycling dot com log booklet that they sent to the magazine subscribers?  Had mine all filled in with rides.   :speedy:

• Thank You 1

Just for reference:  I remember when I had my 94 Silverado and I drove it to work and everywhere constantly for 9 years.  It took me about 6 or 7 years to put 100,000 miles on that truck.  That's hard to imagine doing all that on a bicycle.  I wonder how many pedal strokes are in 100,000 miles?  :)

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So this thread's title caught my attention.  Nice work!  For me, I know there was a 5 year mark in which I logged 10K miles.  If I had kept that pace I'd be at around 60K in 30 years so this basically tells me you have no life.  :happyanim:

100,000 in 30 years is 3.3K per year.  That's only about 60 miles a week.  Certainly doable, even for people with a life.  :)

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Nice job!

I have records back to 96 when I got my first road bike totaling 89,000 miles. But I was riding the river trail back in 1992 doing 25-60 mile rides on a Huffy MTB and a hybrid starting in 94. Lost totals but oh well. :D

Does anybody remember the old Bicycling dot com log booklet that they sent to the magazine subscribers?  Had mine all filled in with rides.   :speedy:

nice job, and yes I remember the bicycling logs

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, that is wicked AWESOME :happyanim:  :cheerleader:

I think I could drag out some old logs and get to 50k or maybe 60k, but with negligible miles in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I don't think 100k would be anywhere in reach.   Strava miles (2011 and on) are at 37k, and before that was Garmin's app on my PC.  Before that was a little spiral notebook.

I had paper log books, then I created my own when the log I used was not longer available. Then I created a bikelog on Excel. And now w/ Strava, keeping track is easy.

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

100,000 in 30 years is 3.3K per year.  That's only about 60 miles a week.  Certainly doable, even for people with a life.  :)

Man, that sort of consistency, in anything, is pretty darn impressive.  I've been consistent for over a decade, and that feels like a long time, so to do that for two decades or three, is pretty awesome.  It's not like @bikeman564™ is in a mild climate area, so it makes it that much more tough.  And to do it while living a normal life (not being a Type-A Cat 1 racing fiend) adds to that accomplishment.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, that sort of consistency, in anything, is pretty darn impressive.  I've been consistent for over a decade, and that feels like a long time, so to do that for two decades or three, is pretty awesome.  It's not like @bikeman564™ is in a mild climate area, so it makes it that much more tough.  And to do it while living a normal life (not being a Type-A Cat 1 racing fiend) adds to that accomplishment.

I keep a summary on Excel. Here's all the year totals.

image.thumb.png.bdea58b65205a0610fdb1ce149bc3120.png

• Awesome 3
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So this thread's title caught my attention.  Nice work!  For me, I know there was a 5 year mark in which I logged 10K miles.  If I had kept that pace I'd be at around 60K in 30 years, so this basically tells me you have no life.  :happyanim:

It only takes 5:45 to do 100 miles. And 2:25 to do 40 miles at Gina's pace. Easily get in good rides and be home by noon if doing a 40, 2PM if doing 100. 

Pretty easy to be home early enough to do things like yardwork or going out to dinner and other places. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Mr Beanz said:

It only takes 5:45 to do 100 miles. And 2:25 to do 40 miles at Gina's pace. Easily get in good rides and be home by noon if doing a 40, 2PM if doing 100. 

Pretty easy to be home early enough to do things like yardwork or going out to dinner and other places. 

I like your boobs.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I'd be pressed to regularly do 100 miles at 17-18mph.  Those would sap me.  But, for sure, finding TIME is the biggest issue folks will run into, so you either need to live somewhere pleasant year around (you CA and FL folks have it NICE!), or be like bikeman and ride all the time, in all sorts of conditions, and mix it up with the bike selection.   Otherwise, you end up riding like me with the peaks happening in the summer and the lows happening in Jan/Feb - consistency goes out the window!

Being retired seems to help, as well, as we see the retired folks here put in some nice miles.  I need to retire early to get in those miles :)

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Or about 8.5 miles a day -- every day for 30 years consecutively.  Doable but that commitment is not likely.  @bikeman564™ is a stud.

I didn't mean to imply that it isn't a helluva accomplishment.  I was just trying to point out that 60 miles a week wouldn't consume a person to the point that they couldn't have a normal life.   

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd be pressed to regularly do 100 miles at 17-18mph.  Those would sap me.  But, for sure, finding TIME is the biggest issue folks will run into, so you either need to live somewhere pleasant year around (you CA and FL folks have it NICE!), or be like bikeman and ride all the time, in all sorts of conditions, and mix it up with the bike selection.   Otherwise, you end up riding like me with the peaks happening in the summer and the lows happening in Jan/Feb - consistency goes out the window!

Being retired seems to help, as well, as we see the retired folks here put in some nice miles.  I need to retire early to get in those miles :)

My best was when I was working nights and Gina days. I rode 30 miles couple of mornings during the week. 23 centuries on Saturdays that year. Joined a century a month challenge that year helped. 

Ended up with 7300 miles that year. Good weather helps. But determination is a plus. I would get off work Friday night at 1:15 then get up about 8 am to do a century. :D

But yes, that year, I had no life and it was all about cycling. I made the best of it cause I didn't see Gina in the evenings with our work schedule. But still I was home early enough on Saturdays after a century to enjoy the weekends.

Luckily it doesn't get cold enough her to stop cycling. 39 as a low but  you'd be surprised at how many riders here in Cali will not ride when it hits 55. Or will not ride when it hits 85, it's a joke! :whistle:

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I keep a summary on Excel. Here's all the year totals.

image.thumb.png.bdea58b65205a0610fdb1ce149bc3120.png

Are alot of engineers like this? :D  Dearie, who had a civil engineering degree, tracked his mileage for past 30 yrs. in Excel too.  Over 230,000 km. in total. He cycled across North America different routes, different years during his retirement which probably stacked up the mileage too.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

A, um, friend, um, sent me a picture he took with his flip phone of one of those log books he has.   :whistle:

log95.jpg.fb371331657a96eb39e9900c9eb38658.jpg

Yup, mine was like that but a different image. Blue with a cyclist on it. It is in storage somewhere and can't seem to find the year I had. Not sure if it was older or newer but I'm guessing it was right around that year.

I remember posting on bikejournal dot com as well for a few years. Just looked and signed in, surprised it is still around. :D

5 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Are alot of engineers like this? :D  Dearie, who had a civil engineering degree, tracked his mileage for past 30 yrs. in Excel too.  Over 230,000 km. in total. He cycled across North America different routes, different years during his retirement which probably stacked up the mileage too.

yes, I'm detailed an analytical :) 

4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Bikeman, I bow to you!  :nodhead:

Riding a million miles is extraordinary, but keeping track on an Excel spreadsheet only amplifies your greatness! 

Thanks :) my Excel bike log skills would amaze you. In my office, I'm the Excel genius :D

• Heart 2